Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what did you wish that you should have brought from UK, that you can't get in oz.

what did you wish that you should have brought from UK, that you can't get in oz.

Old Mar 10th 2006, 6:27 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what did you wish that you should have brought from UK, that you can't get in oz.

by the way - can you get non-biological washing powder in aus?
Old Mar 10th 2006, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: what did you wish that you should have brought from UK, that you can't get in oz.

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
by the way - can you get non-biological washing powder in aus?
Nope

BUT, you can get "sensitive" washing powder/liquid and fabric softener - I get the ones with pics of a baby on and had no problems so far with DH's sensitive skin and DD (28mths) either
Old Mar 10th 2006, 6:56 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: what did you wish that you should have brought from UK, that you can't get in oz.

Originally Posted by peppi
I have to say I miss a nice old english pork sausage. I find the sausages have a funny texture over here,apparently its because they have zero cereal added to them or something,and they cant seem to make a sausage without adding some sort of spicy flavouring.. In this barbe land I dont like the sausages...at all....even the ones in woolies claiming to be "english pork sausage" just are nothing like...
It's probably the presence of meat that's confusing you.

Replace it with water, fat, sawdust and preservatives, and you'd have a typical English sausage.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 8:20 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing
Old Mar 10th 2006, 8:36 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peppi
I have to say I miss a nice old english pork sausage. I find the sausages have a funny texture over here,apparently its because they have zero cereal added to them or something,and they cant seem to make a sausage without adding some sort of spicy flavouring.. In this barbe land I dont like the sausages...at all....even the ones in woolies claiming to be "english pork sausage" just are nothing like...
I just kow I'm going to struggle with that one. My Dad's a butcher and his own pork sausages are just the business. Even here, I can't eat any other sausage. Will need to prise the recipe from my Dad and sell it to a butcher in Oz
Old Mar 10th 2006, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

gavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hutch
If you've got family or friends back in the UK who wouldn't mind you abusing a bit of their broadband connection, then this will rebroadcast any signal anywhere - you can even remotely control the Sky box.
How cool is that... I love gadgets!

Gav
Old Mar 10th 2006, 9:13 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gavstrad
How cool is that... I love gadgets!

Gav
very cool indeed, and such a simple idea
Old Mar 10th 2006, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

the only thing i think, i will miss when we move over is, not being able to go to Cost Co , I guess it will save me £100's pound, every month and very happy hubby.
I went to check some of the white goods they do, and with £1500, I can buy all the top of the range white goods. thats side by side fridge freezer, only £610 inc vat, I think we are going to buy all our white goods from there just before the removel men come and pick up our stuff.
I wonder if we have to pay tax on brand new things.

farideh
Old Mar 10th 2006, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
the only thing i think, i will miss when we move over is, not being able to go to Cost Co , I guess it will save me £100's pound, every month and very happy hubby.
I went to check some of the white goods they do, and with £1500, I can buy all the top of the range white goods. thats side by side fridge freezer, only £610 inc vat, I think we are going to buy all our white goods from there just before the removel men come and pick up our stuff.

farideh
Yes I believe you have to pay tax on anything under 12 months old. Someone will correct me if i am wrong tho'
Old Mar 10th 2006, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

farideh
UK fridges & freezers won't work well in Oz. Because it's so much warmer over here, Aussie fridges/freezers have higher powered compressor-things so a UK one just wouldn't be able to keep the contents as cold as they need to be... if you see what I mean

Can get plenty of white goods cheap over here - The Good Guys is pretty cheap
Old Mar 10th 2006, 11:46 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by herrchook
I just kow I'm going to struggle with that one. My Dad's a butcher and his own pork sausages are just the business. Even here, I can't eat any other sausage. Will need to prise the recipe from my Dad and sell it to a butcher in Oz

The butcher I visit when in Aus has no problem producing fabulous sausages. I seem to recall we had macadamia and pork sausages last time for a BBQ and they were sensational.
Of course there are other types - just find a good butcher. Can recommend Springwood in the Blue mountains if you need a good one.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 11:52 am
Account Closed

farideh

Don't take white goods with you ... much better in Aus, esp washing machines. Fridges much better there too, designed to cope with the heat. A UK fridge would burn out in a matter of days from exhaustion!

Yes you'd have to pay tax.... It's not worth your while.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TillyG
UK fridges & freezers won't work well in Oz. Because it's so much warmer over here, Aussie fridges/freezers have higher powered compressor-things so a UK one just wouldn't be able to keep the contents as cold as they need to be... if you see what I mean

Can get plenty of white goods cheap over here - The Good Guys is pretty cheap
How about American brand, cause most their stuff is American, would fridge freezer, which is an American brand, would it work down under, they do things like up loading washing machine, like in Australia, but are made in USA.
should we not bother with white goods at all.

farideh
Old Mar 10th 2006, 12:11 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

How about American brand, cause most their stuff is American, would fridge freezer, which is an American brand, would it work down under, they do things like up loading washing machine, like in Australia, but are made in USA.
should we not bother with white goods at all.

farideh
We brought our front loader and dishwasher with us. They were only a year old and Bosch. Work brilliantly (why wouldn't they ) If our fridge had been relatively new would have bought that out as a beer fridge. It was very very old so didn't bother but lots do and have no problem with them. Have to make sure they don't have CFC's in them because you can't bring them in if they have.

We bought a brand new microwave a day before the packers came because we were leaving our old one with the house and had checked Aus prices against UK and for the same spec it proved to be a couple of hundred dollars cheaper to get there and bring over.

Front loaders becoming as popular here now as top loaders but anyway (whatever anyone else says) the top loader we used when we first got here worked a treat, had no problem with it.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypen20
We brought our front loader and dishwasher with us. They were only a year old and Bosch. Work brilliantly (why wouldn't they )
Yes, if mine were a year old I'd think seriously about it but the dishwasher is 6 years and the washing machine is less than a year but a really cheep model we picked up to last us until we left. Neither are worth bringing.
I like the toploaders ... they're nicer to load and unload than the 'bend down and reach to the back of the drum' ones...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.