British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What did you think when reading negative posts about Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-did-you-think-when-reading-negative-posts-about-australia-452532/)

BadgeIsBack May 23rd 2007 2:09 pm

What did you think when reading negative posts about Australia

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 4793499)
How many of us would read the posts of Mike Stanton, PB, Dotty, and Ceri, with slightly more attention if doing this again? And for those of you who ahve not encountered these enlightened folk, go back and do some searching.......

Polly is commenting on MTBUK as to how more people should have taken more heed of some cautionary posters when they were back in UK.

I distinctly remember thinking, where are these people living? I still do!

I also had the advantage of having lived here for a year already when I found expats.

1) What did you think when you read them? Did being here help?

2) Do people think they just got lucky?

3) Do people feel that all these cautionary tales could have applied to them
if they were in a different job/town/state?

4) Do people feel it really is all personal taste (as always)?

5) Do some people mitigate the problems better than others?

6) Do some people give up?

Lets hear facts people, not emotion!

cheers

B

aston man May 23rd 2007 2:27 pm

Re: What did you think when reading negative posts about Australia

i am slightly confused by this thread,i have never ever looked in the going back forum..
perhaps i should of,but its a bit late for me now,i am leaving in just under two weeks..
i have always learnt by my own experiences and mistakes,i hope this does not turn out to be one.

and good on those people telling of their bad experiences,it may well help others....and if you can help someone you should in my book..

i personally think i went,asked and got help through every stage of my journey,i think that the negative posts did me a favour..i was 110%,rose tinted,i now expect nothing from australia,so i think the negativity has done me a big favour..

hey i am sorry if i have got the complete wrong end of the stick here,...

ast

Nomore May 23rd 2007 2:32 pm

Nope, never read it, but if i did i would still have come anyway, as it is definately a case of each to their own....

But i would also encourage anyone to be totally honest in any forum, whether good or bad. Tell it as it is, honesty is the best policy.

Hutch May 23rd 2007 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by paulrachel (Post 4820111)
But i would also encourage anyone to be totally honest in any forum, whether good or bad. Tell it as it is, honesty is the best policy.

Is this a good time to mention my signature? :)

Nomore May 23rd 2007 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 4820135)
Is this a good time to mention my signature? :)

Each to their own Hutchy....;)

thewoodz May 23rd 2007 2:48 pm

i read it sometimes and i am amazed at the bravery of people who have gone and done it - even if its not for them at least they have tried and can hopefully enjoy the net step in their life, and i really feel sorry for people trapped over there who hate it:(
i find some of the posts hard going but i take what i want and ignore the rest ( that doesn't mean i only read the good posts:D - i really apppriciate their time to post about things such as water shortages and how it effects day to day life, hoons, crime, etc etc)

Bix May 23rd 2007 2:49 pm

The posters listed were mainly from the contrascending plain way above us mere mortals. It's where they chose to be and certainly wanted to stay.

"I've done okay, but you won't"
"I know..... you won't like...."
That sort of thing.

Too much dross to sort through and as a consequence they had no credibility in my eyes.

I am sorry but in the main I found them to be a bunch of tossers who degraded the forum.

They enjoyed playing games with peoples emotions and in my view are no better than trolls.....always looking to provoke.

Hutch May 23rd 2007 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 4820024)
Polly is commenting on MTBUK as to how more people should have taken more heed of some cautionary posters when they were back in UK.

Unfortunately, I read it a fair bit. I'd previously lived in Oz for a year (though as a single guy, not a family man) and found some the opinion hard to stomach (I'm UK born but my dad's side of the family is Oz back to the boats). Got into a few rucks in there, several of which I'm not proud of. Hand on heart, I don't think there are any lessons to learn from the tales of woe. You can sum it all up by saying that it didn't work out for them, it may or may not work out for you, but you won't know either way until you do it.

Would add, that referring to PB and Stanton as 'enlightened' is like calling Hitler a people-person. :lol:

aston man May 23rd 2007 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 4820234)
The posters listed were mainly from the contrascending plain way above us mere mortals. It's where they chose to be and certainly wanted to stay.

That sort of thing.

Too much dross to sort through and as a consequence they had no credibility in my eyes.

I am sorry but in the main I found them to be a bunch of tossers who degraded the forum.

They enjoyed playing games with peoples emotions and in my view are no better than trolls.....always looking to provoke.

ah well,i am no one to comment,i dont know these people.but i feel that the nicer people on this forum far out way the bad ens..

Amazulu May 23rd 2007 2:57 pm

I never seek advice on this site and never heed people's opinions or advice. I've learnt my lesson there.
The only way you are ever going to find out is to come and see for yourself.
Too many negative opinions are based on personal experience/ideas and are more to do with the person holding them than reality.
I actually think it's okay to wear ever so slightly rose-tinted specs.

Bix May 23rd 2007 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by aston man (Post 4820298)
ah well,i am no one to comment,i dont know these people.but i feel that the nicer people on this forum far out way the bad ens..

You're right there Ast and long may it last.

As for reading the MBTUK forum is concerned then I would say items 4 & 5 apply. One man's meat is anothers poison and our abilities and tolerances are by nature so different.

I believe in information gathering but not that it will necessarily apply to the individual.

aston man May 23rd 2007 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 4820234)

That sort of thing.

i touched on this before but sod it i am feeling a little brave this afternoon,,

from reading your comments above,would you say that some people want to keep australia to themselves..?

Hutch May 23rd 2007 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by aston man (Post 4820437)
from reading your comments above,would you say that some people want to keep australia to themselves..?

I reckon that if there was a vote, the aboriginals would probably have liked things to pan out rather differently ... :D

aston man May 23rd 2007 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 4820448)
I reckon that if there was a vote, the aboriginals would probably have liked things to pan out rather differently ... :D

i'm out of here ,have a good evening every one..

;):D

Pollyana May 23rd 2007 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 4820290)
Unfortunately, I read it a fair bit. I'd previously lived in Oz for a year (though as a single guy, not a family man) and found some the opinion hard to stomach (I'm UK born but my dad's side of the family is Oz back to the boats). Got into a few rucks in there, several of which I'm not proud of. Hand on heart, I don't think there are any lessons to learn from the tales of woe. You can sum it all up by saying that it didn't work out for them, it may or may not work out for you, but you won't know either way until you do it.

Would add, that referring to PB and Stanton as 'enlightened' is like calling Hitler a people-person. :lol:

I think you'll find that with the post taken completely out of context from its original thread, it isn't being looked it in the way it was originally designed......"enlightened", when applied to those posters, has a definite tongue-in-cheek sound about it - as I would've expected Hutch, Bix and Badge to know, all being posters from that era.......
I was posting on a thread about people returning home, and from memory the comment actually referred to the fact that those posters did come up with a few gems about real life, but you had to search amongst a lot of bitterness amd bias to find it - which is probably why a lot of their truer comments went unheeded.
It was also in a thread where I was talking to people who were posting in that era - I wouldn't have posted it in the Aus forum because most people in here now wouldn't know the characters :rolleyes:

Taken totally out of the original thread, and posted in the Aus forum instead of the Uk one, I'm a bit confused as to what Badge was trying to achieve. I would've expected that whatever his differences of opinion with me on some things he would know that to mention "PB" and "enlightened" in the same sentence wasn't totally serious....!