Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What are / did you take

Wikiposts

What are / did you take

Old Apr 21st 2005, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are / did you take

It's scary when you go round your house counting up how much everything would cost to replace. Makes you go double check your contents insurance to make sure you're covered!

We're taking pretty much everything we have - don't have time to mess around trying to sell stuff / wouldn't get much for it anyway / it would cost a huge amount not only of money but also time when we get there.

The biggest hassle I've come across so far is how to work out the insurance amount as it says "for replacing the items as new in your destination country"

Only had one quote so far - £3500 + insurance for 850 cuft shared container but think that's a bit steep. Others in the pipeline.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light

Well, i reckon i've changed my mind. Our sofa alone cost over three grand and it's in perfect condition. We'd probably get about £1000 if we sold it, so there's £2000 straight away.

yeah the more i think about tit the more sense i see.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 6:13 pm
joveazey

Originally Posted by traceyandian
Hi ya, whats the website address? can't seem to find it doing a search'
Many thanks
http://www.excess-baggage.com/

There you go. They seem to have lots of different names.
Jo

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 6:46 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

we got a quote for what we "had" to take, (sentimental claptrap, the kids toys and our pc equipment) and also for filling a container, the difference was around £1000. So obviously we shipped as much as we could. We shipped it out 2 weeks before we left, made sure it was picked up at the last possible moment for making its sailing. We kept our bed, the kids matresses, our cheap and nasty kitchen stuff (sent the good stuff), an old tv 1 set of bedding, you get the picture.

When we arrived we had 2 weeks in a furnished rental then organised an unfurnished rental, we bought a new bed, new matresses, new kitchen stuff and bedding and a sofa (well you do need loads of sofas here). That stuff was all delivered the day we got the keys to the rental, our container was delivered to us the next week, 5 weeks door to door.

So we didnt have to really slum it at either end and it didnt cost is the earth either.

Lynn
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 6:28 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

We're taking nearly everything, selling dining table and chairs, condeser tumble dryer, 2 big fridge freezers, portable TV's and I think that's it. Like someone else said, we couldn't even replace our CD collection for what it'll cost to ship everything and we did debate leaving it all. Then we got thinking, we can't possibly take anything of Libbys away from her, then there's our photos and a bird table that was a hand made wedding pressie that holds extreme sentimental valus, then our 3 piece suite is only 2 years old, so is our washer, so in the end shipping nearly everything won hands down.
Marie
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

ballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura about

Hi

Can anyone recommend any on-line furniture stores that have decent goods at an average price?

I'd like to compare cost of taking furniture with us vs buying it new. I already have the Ikea web address, but wondered about places that do white goods and other furniture.

We'll be moving to Geelong, so any company that'll deliver there, that you can recommend would be brilliant.

Thanks a lot
Michele