Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What are / did you take

What are / did you take

Old Apr 21st 2005, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light
Default What are / did you take

If it all goes according to plan, i won't be taking anything that can't fit in a suitcase. I'm selling everything i own before i leave and starting from scratch when i settle down.

What did you peeps do? I would have expected shipping costs to be pretty expensive are they not?
Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

island.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant future
Default Re: What are / did you take

Originally Posted by Australia Bound
If it all goes according to plan, i won't be taking anything that can't fit in a suitcase. I'm selling everything i own before i leave and starting from scratch when i settle down.

What did you peeps do? I would have expected shipping costs to be pretty expensive are they not?
thats what our plan was! but now we have our lovely little girl! so were having to send all her things and toys,cant take it all away from her and get her new its not fare.so were looking into mayb sharing a container or sending a few parcels? but your right its looking quite expensive.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:05 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

We're taking pretty much everything, I figure it will make it easier to settle in if we have our things around us.

Prices vary but average probably £3,000.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light

I suppose it makes sense if you've lined up propery, but what if you want to move around?
Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:13 am

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

I took 2 shoulder bags full of clothes and a few sentimental items.....oh, yeah, and a flight bag
Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:47 am
joveazey

We sold all the furniture except the bed and shipped all personal stuff and toys etc. ended up with 50 boxes + the bed and it cost £1276 inc.insurance. How I look at it is that we probably had more than 100 cd's and you couldn't even replace them for that price, without all the other 49 boxes and the bed !

Jo

By the way, we're flying on 9th May and taking 3 large and 3 medium cases between the 3 of us. :scared:

Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:05 am

I suppose it makes sense if you've lined up propery, but what if you want to move around?
We're not planning on moving around really, will rent a property for about 6 months until decide where to settle, then will buy and hopefully not move for a very long time!!!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Selling few bits and pieces but taking majority of stuff. Most of it is only 2-3 years old and relatively good stuff so figured that the cost of the container would be cheaper than the cost of replacing. Also I loathe shopping and would shoot myself rather than having to shop for a house full of furniture
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:32 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm taking absolutely everything except electrical items.

I wouldn't leave my book collection (many out-of-print) for the world. I even have some stuff from my childhood which is coming too.

Anything I've wanted to shed from my life has already been chucked or given away, and I don't have lots of furniture either, so sharing a container is what I will do.

The Bananas posted on here some time back saying, 'If you only listen to one bit of advice, take everything'. They strike me as pretty sound people, so I'm heeding their advice.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Selling few bits and pieces but taking majority of stuff. Most of it is only 2-3 years old and relatively good stuff so figured that the cost of the container would be cheaper than the cost of replacing. Also I loathe shopping and would shoot myself rather than having to shop for a house full of furniture
Ditto really our reasons, plus got a lot of sentimental stuff I wouldnt be without...
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:45 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

not as expensive as replacing entire household!!! we used to live in bewdley worcestershire on the famous River Severn and yep, we flooded - 5 feet water in the house - nice. contents insurance was £25k and youd be surpsied to discover that it does actually cost in that region to replace every single item in your house!!!! shipping is far far cheaper at the end of the day!!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypen20

god yeah - i hate sainsburys for food shopping - thought of shopping with 2 kids and grumpy husband in tow for entire contents of house .... ARGHHHHHH!!!!!!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:50 am

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rooksie
not as expensive as replacing entire household!!! we used to live in bewdley worcestershire on the famous River Severn and yep, we flooded - 5 feet water in the house - nice. contents insurance was £25k and youd be surpsied to discover that it does actually cost in that region to replace every single item in your house!!!! shipping is far far cheaper at the end of the day!!
It depends on the type of life you intend to lead. If you want to set up home immediately, then I agree that shipping stuff, if it's in good nick, is probably best, but if you intend to move around or are just not sure on your final destination then selling up and coming with the money may be better. It depends on each individual and there is no universal right or wrong.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fireeater
It depends on the type of life you intend to lead. If you want to set up home immediately, then I agree that shipping stuff, if it's in good nick, is probably best, but if you intend to move around or are just not sure on your final destination then selling up and coming with the money may be better. It depends on each individual and there is no universal right or wrong.

i guesss - id forgotten what it was like to be foot loose and fancy free... ahhhhh those were the days!!!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Rooksie
i guesss - id forgotten what it was like to be foot loose and fancy free... ahhhhh those were the days!!!
We came to Melbourne never having been to Aus before. We thought how can we justify saying we'll settle there without first-hand knowledge. So we sold everything and are now renting, with the basic necessities. In 6 months we could be still here, in another part of Melbourne, or another part of Aus. We don't know. We do like it here, but the only certainty is that we won't be back in England

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.