Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What did you expect? Really.

Wikiposts

What did you expect? Really.

Old Nov 19th 2006, 4:27 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What did you expect? Really.

Originally Posted by Geordie George
I figure that the only consistent thing in a move overseas is the person undertaking it. You can change everything - your location, your access to opportunities (though you don't need to move to t'other side of the world to do that), but you can't change you. If you're the type that sees things half full, Aus will always be great. If you're not, Aus might be disappointing.
Karma on it's way for that.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denver
I am sorry but reading your post has made me quite angry, I live in the UK and I think it is a HELL HOLE. It is dirty, polluted, overcrowded, ineffecient, rediculously expensive, with rude, badly behaved children and miserable gits for citizens. In fact, The UK is rubbished universally. Give me Australia anyday.

I will regret this post later on but some people are just ##@#@

PS GO HOME, AUSTRALIA IS BETTER WITHOUT YOU

What was that people were saying about posts full of hate :scared:
Old Nov 19th 2006, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by denver
I am sorry but reading your post has made me quite angry, I live in the UK and I think it is a HELL HOLE. It is dirty, polluted, overcrowded, ineffecient, rediculously expensive, with rude, badly behaved children and miserable gits for citizens. In fact, The UK is rubbished universally. Give me Australia anyday.

I will regret this post later on but some people are just ##@#@

PS GO HOME, AUSTRALIA IS BETTER WITHOUT YOU
Not going to rise to this.. I really only have one problem with Oz and that is just I find it dull. Never been into the beach thing, never understood the attraction of getting sand in every orifice, and if you don't do the beach, what's left?. People say that there is lots to see, Barrier reef, Uluru (beam me up Scotty) etc but I have to work for a living and can't spend a week travelling to see a rock.. local 'attractions' include towns where people travel for hours to a pie shop, EG Robertson and I think that sums up just how 'exciting' parts of Australia really are.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

We've been here a couple of years now, and I can't quite remember what I expected or wanted. What I do know is the one thing my wife and I have always valued is options and opportunities. We hate to have doors closing on us, and about the only term I can remember from an economics course is "opportunity cost."

Our experience of moving to Australia is that the opportunity has been there for us to get a good enough house, in an attractive enough area, with good enough schools, and good enough vehicles. We've also met SO MANY supportive, friendly, welcoming, interesting people. The great thing about this for us is that we can do this on one-and-a-bit salaries, just. That means we still have the chance of getting the "great car/house/kids schooling" if my wife goes back to work, or we can start a business, or - more likely - we can take turns doing another round of studying.

I'm not sure we could have kept so many doors open back in the UK.

It doesn't really answer your question Badge, but I suspect the old (less knackered) British version of CHnJ would see our life and think we're as happy as he hoped we'd be.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Not going to rise to this.. I really only have one problem with Oz and that is just I find it dull. Never been into the beach thing, never understood the attraction of getting sand in every orifice, and if you don't do the beach, what's left?. People say that there is lots to see, Barrier reef, Uluru (beam me up Scotty) etc but I have to work for a living and can't spend a week travelling to see a rock.. local 'attractions' include towns where people travel for hours to a pie shop, EG Robertson and I think that sums up just how 'exciting' parts of Australia really are.
What's left?

Turn left at Sydney and head West.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 5:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iPom
What's left?

So that will be 2,000 miles of red dust then?
Old Nov 19th 2006, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

What's left?

I have to admit that I like having something to see if I drive for 4 hours in any direction (ah .. except East, obviously). Away from the coastal strip and mountains I see an awful lot of opportunity for uranium mining and nuclear waste storage. The Outback Experience at Wet n Wild should take care of the rest : )
Old Nov 19th 2006, 5:57 pm
Account Closed

You should get out more. If you'd been out West, you'd know it wasn't 2000miles of red dust.
Have you been up here yet? That won't take you a week.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 6:02 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: What did you expect? Really.

You obviously don't know Australia if you think it's a mere 2,000 miles.

So, anyway... when are you leaving? I've heard there are regular flights to the UK.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 6:07 pm

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

You should get out more. If you'd been out West, you'd know it wasn't 2000miles of red dust.
Have you been up here yet? That won't take you a week.

Mate

Start banging!!!!
Old Nov 19th 2006, 6:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
You obviously don't know Australia if you think it's a mere 2,000 miles.

So, anyway... when are you leaving?
I will be leaving in approx two years when I have hopefully managed to put some sort of rescue plan together for my finances. Moving here was costly and moving back probably more so.. Oh, and the distance from Sydney to Perth?? 2049 miles.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 6:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hels Bells
Mate

Start banging!!!!
Merci!
Old Nov 19th 2006, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

2049 miles.
Yes, but not all red dust. And I know that for a fact.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 6:14 pm

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but not all red dust. And I know that for a fact.

Bang!! Bang!! Bang!!
Old Nov 19th 2006, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hels Bells
Bang!! Bang!! Bang!!

I bet you were a really high maintenance child.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.