Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What did you expect? Really.

Wikiposts

What did you expect? Really.

Old Nov 19th 2006, 3:05 am
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What did you expect? Really.

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Um, mate...? Speaking as an Aussie myself, I also took offence to that post. But there's no need to respond in kind; you won't change anyone's opinion that way. Just ignore it and move on.

With regard to your comments about the UK... I've lived in the UK for nearly 3 years now (my father was English, so I do have a historical connection to the place).

While I'd never live here permanently, and although I am one of the most outspoken critics of the UK on this forum, I strongly disagree with the view that it is a "hell hole" which is "rubbished universally".

My wife and I live near the West Midlands town of Walsall (which is admittedly a bit of a dump) but that doesn't stop us escaping the place now and then to enjoy what the UK has to offer.

Last month we drove up to Derbyshire for our first wedding anniversary, and stayed at Thorpe Cottage (click here for details; we chose the Dovedale room). We spent a glorious, peaceful weekend in beautiful surroundings, far away from the grinding tedium, stress and general grubbiness of Walsall and Birmingham.

We had an eye-popping day out to Chatsworth, did some leisurely book shopping in Ashbourne, and enjoyed a superb dinner at a local restaurant.

No country is perfect; they all have their faults. But if you look hard enough, there's usually a silver lining to the cloud.

And remember: life is what you make it.
Yes I agree with you, the UK is not a Hell Hole, my post was a bit tongue in cheek. I also realised I would regret posting it but I just couldn't seem to stop myself! I was just attempting to make the point that nowhere is utopia, each country has good bits and bad bits. The uk definitely has some good bits.I love Australia, I grew up there, and travelling has made me realise how lucky I am to go back there. There are things I would like to improve about Australia, but I don't understand Brits who migrate to Australia and then pick on and go on about the smallest most inconsequential things (that is just called LIFE usually) and never give Australia any credit for anything. I would prefer if they went home and make room for some migrants who would make the most of the opportunity they have been given.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Actually mate, I believe that the comment was directed at Australia as a whole. In other words, this person is referring to the entire country as "the world's worst council estate".

Which is so outlandish as to be almost irresistible, but I shall fight the temptation to respond...
I was being polite(!) I know the whole country isn't, or I would be first in the queue back to the UK.

Whisky: if I had a 6 acre farm in the UK I would still be there in all likelihood!
Old Nov 19th 2006, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

I've been reading this thread with interest. We're hoping to move to Australia next year, although we've both been there before on working holidays. I expect it to be a different country, so I expect it to be different. Hopefully with better weather

Last edited by Dolly; Nov 19th 2006 at 8:05 am. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 19th 2006, 8:10 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: What did you expect? Really.

Originally Posted by denver
Yes I agree with you, the UK is not a Hell Hole, my post was a bit tongue in cheek. I also realised I would regret posting it but I just couldn't seem to stop myself! I was just attempting to make the point that nowhere is utopia, each country has good bits and bad bits. The uk definitely has some good bits.

I love Australia, I grew up there, and travelling has made me realise how lucky I am to go back there. There are things I would like to improve about Australia, but I don't understand Brits who migrate to Australia and then pick on and go on about the smallest most inconsequential things (that is just called LIFE usually) and never give Australia any credit for anything. I would prefer if they went home and make room for some migrants who would make the most of the opportunity they have been given.
Fair play, mate; I feel much the same way.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Fair play, mate; I feel much the same way.
These people who hate the 'council estates' of Australia. Why do they move to them? They are just like the newer ones in the UK, just on a bigger scale. I just do not get it at all. If someone is adverse to council estate living, wouldn't they stay away from them?

Critics would point to maybe Australia being too good at selling itself, but I think half the time it sells itself, or UK people have already sold themselves the Australian utopian dream or people are way too itchy to make the move in the first place - there is a problem between chair and keyboard!
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:17 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
there is a problem between chair and keyboard!

LOL!

Well look where I am Badge... in general, it's a lovely place, fairly well off with nice solid housing, polite kids, good state schools... yet people would rather live in Sydney to avoid a commute (Glenbrook to city is under an hour yet end up still living outside the CBD by at least an hour, just so they can be near the coast. Then they end up having really expensive housing just so they can be near the beach because there's this fulfillment of the Australian dream... After all, why go to Australia if you're going to live in a mountain area or the outback.... SHURELY we all love the beach?
Then people end up living on an estate which is all house and no garden, and call this quality of life. I suppose for some it is, but it's cheaper up here and you can get VFM, and all the rural experience, yet still pop in the car and go to the beach for the day/weekend/week whatever. I can be at the beach at 10am if I so choose... Easy.
There's so much to do up here, the weather's clement, the scenery fantastic...the crime rate is very low... yet the beach is the lure....
<shrug>

Glenbrook, you city dwellers, complaining your surroundings suck... Think about Glenbrook!
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:52 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Um, mate...? Speaking as an Aussie myself, I also took offence to that post. But there's no need to respond in kind; you won't change anyone's opinion that way. Just ignore it and move on.

With regard to your comments about the UK... I've lived in the UK for nearly 3 years now (my father was English, so I do have a historical connection to the place).

While I'd never live here permanently, and although I am one of the most outspoken critics of the UK on this forum, I strongly disagree with the view that it is a "hell hole" which is "rubbished universally".

My wife and I live near the West Midlands town of Walsall (which is admittedly a bit of a dump) but that doesn't stop us escaping the place now and then to enjoy what the UK has to offer.

Last month we drove up to Derbyshire for our first wedding anniversary, and stayed at Thorpe Cottage (click here for details; we chose the Dovedale room). We spent a glorious, peaceful weekend in beautiful surroundings, far away from the grinding tedium, stress and general grubbiness of Walsall and Birmingham.

We had an eye-popping day out to Chatsworth, did some leisurely book shopping in Ashbourne, and enjoyed a superb dinner at a local restaurant.

No country is perfect; they all have their faults. But if you look hard enough, there's usually a silver lining to the cloud.

And remember: life is what you make it.
great post, loved the little touch at the end
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:57 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

I think what astonishes me is the way some ex-pat Brits come to Australia, stay in one small part of a nation three times the size of Western Europe, find a handful of things they don't like, and proceed to generalise about the entire country on the basis of their local experience.

:
one of the reasons i did the "port douglas" thread was to show that this place(Australia) has so much to offer. it just takes the people to get off their arses and look.
sorry to chop down your whole post mate, but i wanted to respond to this part first.

the rest of the post was spot on too
Old Nov 19th 2006, 10:00 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by whisky
I came out here, not for a better life but for a different life.
I didn't expect the grass to be greener here to anywhere else I have lived.
I was grown up enough to know that nowhere is 'eutopia'. This I knew as I have moved and lived in many places in my life.

My reasons for returning to the UK are because of my personal life, and right now feel that I need to be with people, and in a place I feel more familiar with.

My leaving Australia is not because I hate it.
My returning to the UK is not because I love it.
If there was such a place as 'eutopia' I am sure that I would be picking there to be going.
Right now Australia is a long way from what I need.

Of course there are things that I don't like about Australia, the same as there are many things I don't like about the UK or anywhere else.

When things aren't right in a persons life, and the decision has been made that we are going to leave a place. We think about the things we miss. May it be Bacon, sausages, warburtons bread, a good chinese or indian meal. (Those are all on my list too).
To justify the way we feel, the frustration of having to wait or thinking about how much in money terms, relationship terms or any other, we pick the smallest things that in any every day ordinary life wouldn't bother you. It is human nature.

When we lived in the UK. I lived rural. I had my 6 acres of land, my home my stables, and at the time of going to Australia, I had no regrets to sell it all for my different life.
3 years down the line, my personal circumstances have changed, and my biggest regret is having given up all that to come out here.

I am returning to the UK. Luckily, I am still able to live in rural surroundings as I have a daughter and son in law who have a farm. But I will no longer have my own 6 acres and a home, but will be living in a static home. My luck there again is that it is a good one.

My thoughts of the UK are not all pleasant, but I am going to make the best of it.

I go on 'Returning to the UK' because that is what I am doing.
Before I was returning to the UK I came on the Australian forum.

I would pop in and out to read the posts on returning to the UK, and just wondered how much turmoil those people were feeling about wanting to go back so desperately for many many reasons.

When we all come out to Australia, it is with looking forward to our new lives.
When we go back, the circumstances aren't so happy.

I right now find 'Returning to the UK' a lifeline, as I have many doubts and worrys. It is good to have others who are going through the same thing.
Okay, there are comments on there that those 'staying in Oz and loving it' would find frustrating, but if you are going in there, accept it.

I have been on expats since begining the process of going out to Australia, right from the start of applying for visas.
It has been a lifeline, the whole way through, and i will continue to use it. Thats what it is there for.

If you don't like a comment - move on to the next post.
If you don't think expats can have these conversations and thoughts, I suggest you find another place to go as it is and always has been for people who share their nightmares and their happiness.

Whisky
(Blimey, been a long time since i posted a long one)
and what a waist of time that has been, lets hope u post more of this. best post ive seen in a long time.
well done
Old Nov 19th 2006, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iPom
LOL!

Well look where I am Badge... in general, it's a lovely place, fairly well off with nice solid housing, polite kids, good state schools... yet people would rather live in Sydney to avoid a commute (Glenbrook to city is under an hour yet end up still living outside the CBD by at least an hour, just so they can be near the coast. Then they end up having really expensive housing just so they can be near the beach because there's this fulfillment of the Australian dream... After all, why go to Australia if you're going to live in a mountain area or the outback.... SHURELY we all love the beach?
Have to be honest, I came here to get land and space and as I discovered, I also like Australians too. Everything else turned out to be bonus. You can keep your beaches. I've always had a desire to live on the edge of a vibrant modern city with millions of people too.

If I had land and space in the UK I don't think I would have started to look elsewhere.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 10:22 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
SHURELY we all love the beach?
nah, I prefer the sea attached to them, for diving (that is when I get dive fit again, save enough up for a tank or 2 etc)
Old Nov 19th 2006, 10:23 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Have to be honest, I came here to get land and space and as I discovered, I also like Australians too. Everything else turned out to be bonus. You can keep your beaches. I've always had a desire to live on the edge of a vibrant modern city with millions of people too.

If I had land and space in the UK I don't think I would have started to look elsewhere.
No, I'm not sure I would have either... If I'd had an acre in the UK, I'd have been fairly well off too I imagine. Land's expensive there.
I love living on the 'edge' too, because it's equidistant to Lithgow and then Bathurst as it is to Sydney or Northern Beaches... It's a pretty good place to live...
Old Nov 19th 2006, 10:41 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The S's
We expected Kylie minogue and Alf and got Liam Gallagher and more fatties than a Big Dads Pie eating contest.
Love it, you could be describing Joondalup!
Old Nov 19th 2006, 11:19 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't expect anything - we were fully prepared to have to take crappy jobs and live in a 'bad' part of Sydney. It was all part of the adventure of being able to experience living somewhere else. As it turned out, Mr GG got a (very) good job. It means I'm able to work just three days a week and spend the rest of my time studying - something we didn't expect to happen, but it's turning out OK. (Though I only took the course I'm doing because of the fact that my job (though it pays well) could be equally well done by an untrained chimp.)

Australia's by no means perfect. The area I live in, despite being bloody expensive, is certainly not considered a 'good' area. There's a school close to our street - the teens that attend generally seem a mix of (sweeping generalisation based on stereotype alert!) polite studious nerdy types, chavs and those that even Mr GG crosses the street to avoid. Our neighbourhood has its fair share of homeless and drunk people, who pester you for money or scream abuse when you walk by. It seems fairly bleak, right? Particularly in comparison to what we left in the UK - a small semi-rural village in Oxfordshire. But I'm not comparing like with like - of course one appears better than the other. It doesn't mean it actually is.

I guess I'm trying to say that (for us) Aus has just offered different opportunities. It's not perfect - neither is the UK - nowhere is. It has bad elements: the politics, the media, the morbid fixation on terrorism etc can appear to be all-encompassing and depressing. But that equally applies to the UK. Everything I've described of Aus or the UK could easily be found in the other - it depends where you're looking and whether you're comparing fairly.

I figure that the only consistent thing in a move overseas is the person undertaking it. You can change everything - your location, your access to opportunities (though you don't need to move to t'other side of the world to do that), but you can't change you. If you're the type that sees things half full, Aus will always be great. If you're not, Aus might be disappointing.

Last edited by Geordie George; Nov 19th 2006 at 11:23 am. Reason: Some of it was nearly spelled write. ;)
Old Nov 19th 2006, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

If you're the type that sees things half full, Aus will always be great. If you're not, Aus might be disappointing.[/QUOTE]

Spot on, never a truer word spoken.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.