Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What did Australia do to your marriage?

What did Australia do to your marriage?

Old Jun 26th 2007, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What did Australia do to your marriage?

I followed my OH out here thinking that I would give my marriage one last go, see if he had changed. The minute I stepped off the plane, I knew I had made a big mistake. He has had many many issues over the last 10 years and has caused me a lot of sadness and grief. Including losing my home.
I spent the last of my money coming out here and so wish that I hadn't. I want to go home to the UK but can't afford it. I gave up my son,a brilliant job and a flash car (my pride and joy) to come here. It wasnt worth it.

Lou
Old Jun 26th 2007, 1:33 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

|Were not married, but hey ho...

We didn't come here to fix anything, we are the same as before, we have our ups and downs, like before...
Old Jun 26th 2007, 1:36 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I phoned my sister last night who told me that her mate emigrated with her husband and 'thought' that everything was OK/good in her marriage.

When she arrived there, one of her kids developed epilepsy and her husband over the space of 4 months turned into the most sexist pig ever, leaving her to cope with their poorly child and going to the pub every night with his new mates.

She later returned to the UK with her child and her husband said 'You are on your own mate'. Horrified, she could not believe how someone she thought she knew could change so rapidly.

I find it alarming to read on here about how some people find that their marriages/relationships change dramatically once they have migrated. Some people have mentioned that their husbands appear to have had the sexist attitude of some rub off on to them.

Some people seem to settle straight away and everything works out and I do wonder in cases of where the relationship has deteriorated, were there 'silent signals' prior to leaving the UK, that could have indicated there was a problem but was sort of swept under the carpet in a manner of speaking.

How has Australia affected your relationship - either once you have emigrated or even prior to it, with the build up to moving and the hassle that goes with the visa?

And what advise would you give to those about to make the move?

I am just interested and if I admit, a little nervous because although I think all is well in my world, I would hate to think I am blind to potential problems.

Await replies with interest.
i must admit, i've been really lucky, Malc and i have always had a really good relationship, and when we came here, it made it even better, we had no-one to rely on except each other and we got thorugh some pretty tough times at the beginning (homesickness mainly) Malc helps me with everything, and im never left to just get on with things by myself, so no complaints from me, i know i'm lucky to have him
My advice to anyone is if your relationship isnt that strong then think very carefully before putting yourselvces through it, it can be very stressful at the beginning and if there are alreary a few cracks there, then this would make it much worse.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 1:49 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
In the Emigrate Challenge DVD it said that migration is usually driven by one partner.

We have discussed it that we are not going to just move back if one of us is not settled because homesickness seems to hit about the 4 month mark and we are going to have to give it longer than that.

I would move back for my husband if he was that unhappy and couldnt imagine leaving him like some have had happen to them.
Not true in our case...

4 months! Whoever/wherever you got that from, it's total bollocks!

A friend of our did move back because his wife was unhappy here, they moved back here 9 months later... bought a house, kids settled in school (again) wife decides shes unhappy again, house has been on the market for a couple of months, relationship has dwindled, they are all going back, hubby is unsure what the future holds regarding his marriage, he has to go back, because he loves his kids.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 1:53 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

A friend of ours buggered off back to UK without her husband. She took the kids and just went. No explanation.
He was devastated. It took him 3 months to forgive her. Then he went back to UK to patch things up. They are happily married now back in UK. But staying in OZ would have killed it.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George

On this point, I just wanted to say that discussing what might happen if one person doesn't like Aus is crucial. However, homesickness can hit at any point - it doesn't follow a timetable.
That is so true.

Plus if you have older kids factor in that they will have just the same sort of emotions and can ruffle the plans just as much as the adult members of the family.

Most kids over about 11 can be very vocal about it, and once they get to 16 they can pretty much do whatever they want about it.

The amount of familes ending up split up with the family in UK but the kid ('s) in OZ or vice versa is alarmingly high. Its a problem that comes up on the MBUK forum time and time again, heartbreaking so discuss first, its easy to overlook what sort of reaction they might have by assuming the kids will love it - many dont.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ransi
Not true in our case...

4 months! Whoever/wherever you got that from, it's total bollocks!

A friend of our did move back because his wife was unhappy here, they moved back here 9 months later... bought a house, kids settled in school (again) wife decides shes unhappy again, house has been on the market for a couple of months, relationship has dwindled, they are all going back, hubby is unsure what the future holds regarding his marriage, he has to go back, because he loves his kids.

She can't remove the kids from Australia without his consent.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 5:10 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Emigrating has tested our marriage to the limits. We are still together and as stong as ever thankfully. I am one lucky woman. And of course, hubby is one lucky guy

I have seen couples split up due to the stress of this. So sad. I think if there are cracks in a marriage, this stress level will widen them.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 5:33 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Emigrating has tested our marriage to the limits. We are still together and as stong as ever thankfully. I am one lucky woman. And of course, hubby is one lucky guy

I have seen couples split up due to the stress of this. So sad. I think if there are cracks in a marriage, this stress level will widen them.

The only thing that has changed in my marriage is that shall we say conjugal rights have diminished......

and I quote "It's too hot"

Last edited by wargod; Jun 26th 2007 at 5:35 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 5:35 pm
Cheeky member

Originally Posted by Wendy
She can't remove the kids from Australia without his consent.
Shall I get the big wooden spoon out and tell him...
Old Jun 26th 2007, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ransi
Shall I get the big wooden spoon out and tell him...

You can borrow mine, I've finished with for today
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
A strong marriage is a strong marriage, a weak one is a weak one. If it hadnt been migration that did it, it would have been something else. If you are happily married and work together as a team, then all will be great and you will enjoy the adventure as a partnership.
I'm surprised how many people have agreed with this - I would agree that relationships are strong or weak (or somewhere along the spectrum) before any move abroad, but the stresses of the whole thing may throw completely new factors in to the equation and cause problems that never existed before. Of course they will only split you up if there was some underlying problem anyway, but that problem might have gone unnoticed for years otherwise, and been dealt with better at another time in a different situation.
Does that make sense? I think it's the 'weak one is a weak one' bit that gets me, and the inevitability of it. It's not inevitable, nothing is - it just depends what else is going on, and maybe some relationships that use emigration as a sticking plaster actually cause more problems than they solve when they might have sorted things out by going down a different road.
No doubt that emigration will test any relationship though.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
I'm surprised how many people have agreed with this - I would agree that relationships are strong or weak (or somewhere along the spectrum) before any move abroad, but the stresses of the whole thing may throw completely new factors in to the equation and cause problems that never existed before. Of course they will only split you up if there was some underlying problem anyway, but that problem might have gone unnoticed for years otherwise, and been dealt with better at another time in a different situation.
Does that make sense? I think it's the 'weak one is a weak one' bit that gets me, and the inevitability of it. It's not inevitable, nothing is - it just depends what else is going on, and maybe some relationships that use emigration as a sticking plaster actually cause more problems than they solve when they might have sorted things out by going down a different road.
I agree Espy, especially given my experience.
We didnt move here to try to smooth any cracks etc - just to live in Oz, together. We're now apart.
Whilst I do appreciate people thinking 'sure we'll be fine' etc, thats what we thought too.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:49 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
Well said. Saying a marriage is weak discredits the damage that can be done solely through emigrating. If one partner likes Aus and the other doesn't, being in the country alone can cause stress and sour a relationship, turning it from strong to weak. That might never have happened if the couple had never left the UK. It's not as black and white as saying if you have a good marriage you will get through it.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:54 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking today that just before we leave for Oz, Im going to video record my entire journey into work. One overground train and two tube trains and an entire bottom pinching, thigh squashing commute into the workplace.

Then in times of homesickness I shall play it

On a more serious note, Mr PP and I have discussed if one of us is not happy and we have come to the conclusion that the WHOLE situation will be reviewed as in what our situation will be as in jobs, housing etc.

But I don't think you can tell until you get there, still at least we are communicating and talking about it and both agree on the same points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.