Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What counts as income for Mortgages ?

Wikiposts

What counts as income for Mortgages ?

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:40 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: What counts as income for Mortgages ?

Originally Posted by Phil-UK
I did notice that credit card bit too, I once entered about $5K for a credit limit on a CC and noticed that the total amount you could borrow on mortgage dropped by about $15K, 3 times the CC limit, ouch !!! How did they work that one out ? In the UK they look at your monthly payment rather than the limit.

I've decided, no CC's for me in OZ, probably safer that way anyway.

Thanks again.

Phil
The lender calculates the monthly payment based on the credit limit, in case you decide to use it all.

There is a way around that, as long as you don't have a balance that you can't afford to pay off.

Tell the lender that you are closing your credit card. 9 times out of 10 the lender will want you to have one of their credit cards anyway, and that one will not affect the amount they initially lend you

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The lender calculates the monthly payment based on the credit limit, in case you decide to use it all.

There is a way around that, as long as you don't have a balance that you can't afford to pay off.

Tell the lender that you are closing your credit card. 9 times out of 10 the lender will want you to have one of their credit cards anyway, and that one will not affect the amount they initially lend you
That sounds like a good tactic. Get the CC when taking out a home loan. Your right, they do try and get you to take more of their services.

Thanks again

Phil
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 7:37 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Phil-UK
Hi,

But my question is, as we have 3 kids we will qualify for Family Tax Credit, is this taken into account for a mortgage application or does it not count ?
Anyone have experience of this ? It will be in QLD.

Phil
When we got our mortgage in 2003 they 'DID' take into account our family tax credit. We got a private mortgage/financial advisor and he added the credit in. This was told to the bank (Commonwealth) and it was excepted

Go for it - This was in Perth by the way