Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What counts as income for Mortgages ?

What counts as income for Mortgages ?

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough
Default What counts as income for Mortgages ?

Hi,

I just wanted to clarify a point about mortgages. I've been looking at a "How much can I borrow" mortgage calculator to see what sort of mortgage we could afford based on our income, expenses, etc.

We have 3 kids and it tells us with 3 dependants we should be able to get a mortgage of around $290K.

I started to play with the figures a bit and changed 3 dependants to 0 which then would allow a mortgage of $356K.

Now I'm not planning to get rid of my kids but they are costly little things

But my question is, as we have 3 kids we will qualify for Family Tax Credit, is this taken into account for a mortgage application or does it not count ?
In the UK Child Benefit does not count, but it isn't means tested either so I know there are differences. The reason is if I add in what we would probably get it brings the figure back up to about $350K.

Anyone have experience of this ? It will be in QLD.

Phil

Last edited by Phil-UK; Apr 22nd 2005 at 1:17 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 1:26 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What counts as income for Mortgages ?

Originally Posted by Phil-UK
Hi,

I just wanted to clarify a point about mortgages. I've been looking at a "How much can I borrow" mortgage calculator to see what sort of mortgage we could afford based on our income, expenses, etc.

We have 3 kids and it tells us with 3 dependants we should be able to get a mortgage of around $290K.

I started to play with the figures a bit and changed 3 dependants to 0 which then would allow a mortgage of $356K.

Now I'm not planning to get rid of my kids but they are costly little things

But my question is, as we have 3 kids we will qualify for Family Tax Credit, is this taken into account for a mortgage application or does it not count ?
In the UK Child Benefit does not count, but it isn't means tested either so I know there are differences. The reason is if I add in what we would probably get it brings the figure back up to about $350K.

Anyone have experience of this ? It will be in QLD.

Phil
Hiya
we have just got a mortgage and the tax credit didnt come into the equation...unless the bank took it into consideration without us knowing
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by biggy
Hiya
we have just got a mortgage and the tax credit didnt come into the equation...unless the bank took it into consideration without us knowing
Thanks biggy,

I guess if the bank does take it into account without you knowing that will already be calculated into their figures, so 290K ish for me.

Phil
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 1:42 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Phil-UK
The St George Bank do take it into account, I assume the others will aswell.

You have to tell them and show proof of the actual income figure.

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 1:51 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, we had to show proof of our (measly!) family allowance too
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 1:56 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hevs
Yep, we had to show proof of our (measly!) family allowance too
Hi Hevvers, its smashing to see you online again.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 1:59 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Hi Hevvers, its smashing to see you online again.
Thank you hun, gald to be back, its been a cracking week (bet you think ya funny dont'cha )
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 2:00 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Thank you hun, gald to be back, its been a cracking week (bet you think ya funny dont'cha )
Me funny, Noooooooo Just thought I'd bump this thread, You know what bump is. I luvs ya really.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 2:03 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Me funny, Noooooooo Just thought I'd bump this thread, You know what bump is. I luvs ya really.
Glad someone does cos Matt hates me

PS. sorry to hijack the thread. Also be aware that if you have a credit card the credit limit (weather borrowed to or not) may be taken into account as a liability that goes against the amount you're trying to borrow
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 2:13 pm
The Godfather

Should we run away & camp on Windy Hill then?

Poor Phil, hes gonna get a load of crap in his E mail. Ive already had a warning from someone about talking shit on a thread they started
Poor bugger woke up next day & had around 35 e mails about a reply to his thread, I'm sure Soapy had something to do with it to.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 2:16 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Turn the email thing off then divvy

Who had a go at you then?? Thread hi jacking is a skill that i excell in (sorry again )
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 2:20 pm
The Godfather

Turn the email thing off then divvy

Who had a go at you then?? Thread hi jacking is a skill that i excell in (sorry again )
Can't remember, it was a few months ago but he virtually said if I replied one more time he was coming to Melbourne to punch my lights out.
I was really worried & left another 20 replies before morning.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 2:21 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Can't remember, it was a few months ago but he virtually said if I replied one more time he was coming to Melbourne to punch my lights out.
I was really worried & left another 20 replies before morning.
Obviously a soccer fan
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Should we run away & camp on Windy Hill then?

Poor Phil, hes gonna get a load of crap in his E mail. Ive already had a warning from someone about talking shit on a thread they started
Poor bugger woke up next day & had around 35 e mails about a reply to his thread, I'm sure Soapy had something to do with it to.
Yeah, if you reply one more time, I'll , I'll, errr, I'll send the misses round !!!

LOL

No, it's fine, all in good humor.

Thanks ABC and hevs, that good to know. Maybe I can afford a house with a pool now, yipee! I did notice that credit card bit too, I once entered about $5K for a credit limit on a CC and noticed that the total amount you could borrow on mortgage dropped by about $15K, 3 times the CC limit, ouch !!! How did they work that one out ? In the UK they look at your monthly payment rather than the limit.

I've decided, no CC's for me in OZ, probably safer that way anyway.

Thanks again.

Phil
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

PS. I'm off to find a hevs and bordy thread to hijack !!!

LOL

Phil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.