Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What could go wrong ???

Wikiposts

What could go wrong ???

Old Mar 31st 2005, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What could go wrong ???

Ireland is such a lovely place (especially the west coast), why are you moving to OZ (if that isn't too personal a question)?
Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:15 pm
G&P
Forum Regular

G&P will become famous soon enoughG&P will become famous soon enough

We have asked ourselves this so many times and it comes down to the simple things, when we were there before, we just loved everything about it, the weather, healthy lifestyle, you wanted to get up and do stuff all time, we felt we had more of a life there, don't get me wrong Ireland is a lovely place but it is so expensive, the weather is crap and we just believe we will have a better quality of life in Australia. Who knows, it might all go wrong but if it does we will not have regretted not trying it. I had an accident last year that I could have died from and since that our whole outlook on life has changed, it sounds crap but it really does make you think and makes you want to strive for everything you can, it made us realise that life really is too short and we don' t have kids yet, so if we dont do this now we never will. Of course we will miss family and friends so much but life is for living, we are only here for a good time, not a long time!!!

Gillian
Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

agree about the weather, when we were there (Ireland) it was misty or rainy. people are nice though
least it should be a bit warmer in oz
Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Bidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really nice
Smile Re: What could go wrong ???

Originally Posted by G&P
Hi Bidd,

We used Emerald Solutions in Kildare, can't praise them enough, we too had to get Pauls trade assessed by TRA, (painstaking!!). We are going in January, we have to enter by 3rd Feb but if we wait we can add to the savings etc. we have just agreed a sale on our house so we will stay with family till we go, we are moving out of the house in July. what about you, have you told you families yet about the move etc. when do you hope to go, have to get both your trades assessed. It was only Pauls in our case, not so bad!

Nice talking to you!
Regards
Gill
Hi Gill,

Thankfully only one of us needs to get assessed. My occupation is not on the list. We don't have a house to sell which has its good and bad points! My parents knew that we wanted to go back at some stage but we only told Brian's parents more recently... We went to Oz on a whv in 2000 and when we told them of our plans for that, they didn't take it very well at all! Needless to say, we were a bit worried about their reaction when we told them this time but it went fine! His dad just asked about jobs and the price of houses and his mam wanted to know if we were getting married before we go!!! (Typical!) Later his dad told his brother that he knew this would come some day because there was no sign of us buying a house, etc. Hopefully we'll be there early next year depending on how quick the application goes through and we're successful.

Nice talking to you too!!

Bidd
Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:38 pm
G&P
Forum Regular

That sounds so like our situation in ways, we were there for the year in 99/00 and loved it. I realise it could be very different now but it is something we have to do. Our parents didn't take it too well, pauls mum is still crying. It is getting a bit easier now though and they talk about it more. They were waiting for a "baby" announcment rathar than "a moving to the other side of the world" announcement. What trade does you boyfriend have. We are going out in January, where are you hoping to go, do you mind me asking where you are in Ireland, understand if you don't want to say!

Regards
Gillian

ps. did you say you are using an agent?
Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:38 pm
G&P
Forum Regular

Fingers crossed, can't be any worse than here!
Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Bidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really nice
Red face Re: What could go wrong ???

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Ireland is such a lovely place (especially the west coast), why are you moving to OZ (if that isn't too personal a question)?

Hi Kevin

Pretty much for the same reasons Gill has given! When we were there before we loved it and have wanted to go back ever since! The good weather makes such a difference to how you feel and I dread the winter here coming around. Yep Ireland is a lovely place but like Gill says it's expensive and the weather is crap!! I'm sure we will miss our family and friends but if we don't give it a go we'll regret it. And who knows, maybe it won't be forever, maybe it will but like Gill says life is for living...

Bidd (btw, totally unrelated but how do you put a smiley in the text of a reply? everytime I try it just puts it in the subject bar... doh)
Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by G&P
That sounds so like our situation in ways, we were there for the year in 99/00 and loved it. I realise it could be very different now but it is something we have to do. Our parents didn't take it too well, pauls mum is still crying. It is getting a bit easier now though and they talk about it more. They were waiting for a "baby" announcment rathar than "a moving to the other side of the world" announcement. What trade does you boyfriend have. We are going out in January, where are you hoping to go, do you mind me asking where you are in Ireland, understand if you don't want to say!

Regards
Gillian

ps. did you say you are using an agent?

have sent u pm!
Old Mar 31st 2005, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: What could go wrong ???

Originally Posted by G&P
Hi Theresa,

Just got the call from the agent, WE GOT THE VISA!!!!!!

Can't believe it, feel excited and sick all at the same time, can't believe we got it so quick!

Gillian
Hello Gill

Congratulations, I am so pleased for you!!! I am sure you will be celebrating later. I can't wait to receive ours, it can't come soon enough.

Well done Gill
Old Mar 31st 2005, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
And you have enough points of course!!
Did we clear the ugly bit up?
I think we sorted out the ugly bit?
Old Mar 31st 2005, 11:23 pm
G&P
Forum Regular

Oh Theresa,

The champagne is already chilling for when we get home, still stunned. You shouldn't be waiting too long now, if our timeframe is anything to go by, keep me posted!
Gillian
Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G&P
Oh Theresa,

The champagne is already chilling for when we get home, still stunned. You shouldn't be waiting too long now, if our timeframe is anything to go by, keep me posted!
Gillian

Gill

Myself and hubby went out last night for a meal and obviously we talked about Australia and visa. I am so optimistic about the whole thing whereas he is quite pessimistic!!!

'We haven't got it yet'
'Dont build your hopes up'
'You're jumping the gun'

So today I have contacted our agent to see 'What could go wrong?'

I am pleased to say that really there is nothing in our application that could indicate any flags being raised with DIMIA. So long as police checks and medicals come back okay, there should be no problem. They are being quoted 1 - 3 months for each stage at present for MODL visas.

That is 1 - 3 months after application lodged for requests and then 1 - 3 months after they are received visa granted. Apparently things are improving all the time with DIMIA to help improve the time frame.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Go girl, go girl
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:11 am
G&P
Forum Regular

He is probably just trying to keep you grounded, I can understand that because it is such a long process, but things are definitely moving quicker, they received our applic on 8th November, requested meds in PC's in Jan, received them in Feb and issued the visa today, I was sure we would be waiting another 6-8 weeks, I was like you though contstantly thinking what if, but once you get the all clear on meds and pc's it is all ok ( I can say that now that I have it!)

I really hope you hear soon, will keep an eye on your threads!

Best wishes
Gillian
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Hey Gill

Is it like Xmas, ie when you got the visa you were really excited, but now it is dinner time the excitement has worn off

Just wondering?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.