Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What a complete waste of time -Citizenship Test

What a complete waste of time -Citizenship Test

Old Jul 26th 2011, 10:49 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default What a complete waste of time -Citizenship Test

I went and did the citizenship test the other day. I had been really busy at work and did not have a chance to do any study for it and you know what I'm glad I didn't waste any time on it.

I read the Citizenship PDF and that was enough.

I was expecting a lot of questions but it's just 20 multiple choice questions. I finished it in 10 minutes (I think you can have an hour. Now this is not a brag because I don't view it as a big achievement but I scored 95%.

Now to prove what an utter waste of time the whole thing is the woman next to me failed. The guy came over and told her she had failed but she could do it again straight away.

Revenue raiser?
Old Jul 26th 2011, 10:58 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a complete waste of time -Citizenship Test

Originally Posted by HUP
I went and did the citizenship test the other day. I had been really busy at work and did not have a chance to do any study for it and you know what I'm glad I didn't waste any time on it.

I was expecting a lot of questions but it's just 20 multiple choice questions. I finished it in 10 minutes (I think you can have an hour. Now this is not a brag because I don't view it as a big achievement but I scored 95%.

Now to prove what an utter waste of time the whole thing is the woman next to me failed. The guy came over and told her she had failed but she could do it again straight away.

Revenue raiser?
I doubt it. It probably costs as much to administer it as the fee. Especially as some folks seem to get it half price.

I can't remember why it was introduced but it was a product of the Howard government and it did make getting citizenship more expensive.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 10:59 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HUP

Revenue raiser?
I think you're being a bit harsh and not seeing the bigger picture. I'm glad you do so well so easily but as an anglo saxon (I guess) I don't really think the test is aimed at you but it has to be one system for all.

I became a citizen in the days when they let anyone in but now my OH is getting ready to apply. We've read the book and done the tests and I think it s aimed fairly at other nationals whose home country would see Australia's freedoms as alien. I think this is why so much revolves around freedom of government, freedom of speech, equal rights, religious freedom etc etc.
I think its good our other potential citizens are made aware of this "privileges". For us expats it just seems normal.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 9:15 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I've got my test today. I'm more concerned about filling in all the forms right and having the right ID docs than about the multiple guess test.

BB
Old Jul 26th 2011, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HUP

Revenue raiser?
You took that long? Mine took me 3 minutes including a reread and I got 100%. Prior to going in I heard someone getting the old interview. It sounded much harder than the test.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I've got my test today. I'm more concerned about filling in all the forms right and having the right ID docs than about the multiple guess test.

BB
Wot he said ^^^^^^

Applying online for citizenship on Monday. Was planning on getting my dentist to sign the ID declaration, but he's a pom and can't apply for citizenship yet. Bloody immigrants!

Cheers

LG
Old Jul 26th 2011, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
Wot he said ^^^^^^

Applying online for citizenship on Monday. Was planning on getting my dentist to sign the ID declaration, but he's a pom and can't apply for citizenship yet. Bloody immigrants!

Cheers

LG
Old Jul 27th 2011, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

ColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HUP

Originally Posted by isgraham
You took that long? Mine took me 3 minutes including a reread and I got 100%.
Originally Posted by EvannTel
I think you're being a bit harsh and not seeing the bigger picture. I'm glad you do so well so easily but as an anglo saxon (I guess) I don't really think the test is aimed at you but it has to be one system for all.
Far from an Anglo-Saxon here, and my experience with the test was akin to that of isgraham. I spent more time going through the admin stuff before hand (show my passport, take photo, blah blah blah) than I did at the actual computer administering the test. Right next to me was a girl with a distinct Nordic appearance (to whom the values and freedoms afforded by Australia are far from alien, one would presume); and she'd been at that test 45 minutes, and was visibly struggling.

Originally Posted by EvannTel
I became a citizen in the days when they let anyone in but now my OH is getting ready to apply. We've read the book and done the tests and I think it s aimed fairly at other nationals whose home country would see Australia's freedoms as alien. I think this is why so much revolves around freedom of government, freedom of speech, equal rights, religious freedom etc etc.
I think its good our other potential citizens are made aware of this "privileges". For us expats it just seems normal.
That was the intention (apparently, when the Howard Government introduced the test), but any Thomas, Richard, Henry, Muhamad, Habak, Al-Makhtoum could wing the test with more than basic knowledge of English and an iota of common sense.

Exactly which undesireable is the following question keeping from becoming an Australian Citizen?

"Which of the following is a right afforded to all Australians?
a) The right to participate in a peaceful protest against the Government
b) The right to destroy public property
c) The right to participate in violent demonstrations against the Government"

And yes, that was a question in my test, and those were the three alternatives.

If there has to be a test, make it worth something. IMHO, that's about the one thing that the United States does well in its naturalization process. Have potential migrants pass a test relevant to constitution, system of laws, society.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I got citizenship before the test.

So I just went straight to page 34 ( without reading the anything but the index ) did the practice test and got all questions correct.

My main concern with it is anyone with reasonable english language and a bit of common sense should get most questions correct - by guessing.

If you only had basic English or dyslexia you would be at a huge disadvantage.

The most patriotic person, but with basic english could easily fail.

So what are they saying, this is a language test?? Why not just call it that.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 3:16 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Typical bloody Australians, they expect you to sit in a room for 10 minutes and complete an easy test AND THEN they allow you to live in their country.

It's a disgrace wasting my time like this, I have a good mind to go back home.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Was Don Bradman mentioned, the America's Cup or Skippy!

If you have ever been to Parramatta Immi, you know why the test is required otherwise the next thing is road signs in English and Chinese.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 3:47 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Was Don Bradman mentioned, the America's Cup or Skippy!

If you have ever been to Parramatta Immi, you know why the test is required otherwise the next thing is road signs in English and Chinese.
That will never happen ...
Old Jul 27th 2011, 4:43 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
BRILLIANT
Old Jul 27th 2011, 5:56 am
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

When I checked out what the British equivalent to the citizenship test was out of curiosity a few months back I was mortified to discover I would fail it depsite having been a born & bred British citizen for over 30yrs
Old Jul 27th 2011, 6:42 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: What a complete waste of time -Citizenship Test

I’m trying to imagine what they would ask on the British citizenship test?

When joining a company it is traditional to:
a. Be punctual, work diligently and communicate effectively.
b. Join a union and complain about pay/conditions endlessly.
c. Turn up with a hangover and spend all day browsing Facebook.
d. Not bother turning up or even explaining your absence.
e. Form a small group of people with an ideological bent on killing others on weekends.

Spoiler:
If you answered:
a. You have taken a wrong turn, the German citizenship test was next door. Go back to your own country!
b. Congratulations you are a typical English worker.
c. You get provisional citizenship in Wales.
d. You have provisional citizenship in Scotland.
e. You get a sawn off shotgun and provisional citizenship of Northern Ireland.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.