Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Colours Do Sharks Like?

What Colours Do Sharks Like?

Old May 20th 2005, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Francinecrump is on a distinguished road
Default What Colours Do Sharks Like?

Hi, want ng to buy one of those surf t-shirt thingies,but I've read somewhere that they tend to go for certain colours, so go for opposite, only thing is, I can't remember which colours it is that they like - is it dark colours they like or the more bright colours?

Any help from all you knowlegeable persons?
Old May 20th 2005, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

wayne&mandy will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: What Colours Do Sharks Like?

Originally Posted by Francinecrump
Hi, want ng to buy one of those surf t-shirt thingies,but I've read somewhere that they tend to go for certain colours, so go for opposite, only thing is, I can't remember which colours it is that they like - is it dark colours they like or the more bright colours?

most sharks see in greys, some - like the reef and bull shark - have colour vision that attracts them to bright yellows and oranges. Smart divers tend to avoid these 'yum yum' hues. ( taken from a article on the internet)
Old May 20th 2005, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Francinecrump is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What Colours Do Sharks Like?

Originally Posted by wayne&mandy
most sharks see in greys, some - like the reef and bull shark - have colour vision that attracts them to bright yellows and oranges. Smart divers tend to avoid these 'yum yum' hues. ( taken from a article on the internet)
Right, will go for the darker less, tempting shades then.
Old May 20th 2005, 8:45 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: What Colours Do Sharks Like?

Right, will go for the darker less, tempting shades then.
Yeah, perhaps like the colour of seal pups!

R.
Old May 21st 2005, 12:13 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think sharks (predatory species) are that fashion-concious that they really care what you are wearing if they are hungry or you just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sharks hunt more on scent and vibrations in the water than on direct sight, although some species have good eyesight. As they attack they are actually close their eyes and virtually hope that the target hasn't made a sudden move away.

Last edited by The Bloke; May 21st 2005 at 12:26 am.
Old May 21st 2005, 12:57 am
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Sharks, love any colour, they do not discriminate, however during certain times of the month or year they react violently against purple and emerald!!!!!! Sorry I'm being a wee bit sacastic.

Look without sounding out of order here there are many other things to worry about. Sure you may hear about shark attacks, or even as we did witness it. But life goes on, and I think you need to worry more about the boring mundane things rather than sharks. Its like spiders, people over worry about these things. Sorry to sound blunt, I can understand why people ask these questions, but sometimes I think we all need a reality check. More chance of dying in a road accident!
Old May 21st 2005, 1:20 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

any colour as long as they can smell piss or blood.

tip: don't piss in the sea

Fact.
Old May 21st 2005, 2:48 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by russmcp
Sharks, love any colour, they do not discriminate, however during certain times of the month or year they react violently against purple and emerald!!!!!! Sorry I'm being a wee bit sacastic.

Look without sounding out of order here there are many other things to worry about. Sure you may hear about shark attacks, or even as we did witness it. But life goes on, and I think you need to worry more about the boring mundane things rather than sharks. Its like spiders, people over worry about these things. Sorry to sound blunt, I can understand why people ask these questions, but sometimes I think we all need a reality check. More chance of dying in a road accident!
Yes, In OZ 3 people are killed by sharks a year compared to 1,600 people on the roads. Your 3 times more likely to be killed by being struck by lightning then killed by a shark. Unless you are going surfing at one of those remote beaches in rural S.A or W.A which are known great white shark areas or going scuba diving way out in the ocean l would'nt worry about.

Last edited by wombat42; May 21st 2005 at 2:55 am.

Old May 21st 2005, 4:05 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Catharine Hamnet 2004 winter collection really riles them up.
As do Paul Smith trousers!

Avoid accessories by Stella McCartney, and Versace jumpers, & you'll be right!

Can't speak for the worldwide shark community, but West Australian sharks are known for their hatred of anything bought from K-Mart, Target, and Sportsgirl!!

Some, 'radical thinking' sharks don't confirm to all of the above, but they are usually shunned by the more, 'conformist' sharks.

I'm afraid the only way to be really safe is to stay at home with all the doors locked, and don't even think about dipping your toe in the ocean!!

You have been warned....!!!
Old May 21st 2005, 4:09 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scossie
Catharine Hamnet 2004 winter collection really riles them up.
As do Paul Smith trousers!

Avoid accessories by Stella McCartney, and Versace jumpers, & you'll be right!

Can't speak for the worldwide shark community, but West Australian sharks are known for their hatred of anything bought from K-Mart, Target, and Sportsgirl!!

Some, 'radical thinking' sharks don't confirm to all of the above, but they are usually shunned by the more, 'conformist' sharks.

I'm afraid the only way to be really safe is to stay at home with all the doors locked, and don't even think about dipping your toe in the ocean!!

You have been warned....!!!
good points.

I forgot to add Targets piping hot boardies or come to think of it anything piping hot.....

there's no accounting for taste, well if you're a shark anyway...
Old May 21st 2005, 9:15 am
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Carruss
Yeah, perhaps like the colour of seal pups!

R.
LOL
I've heard that "seal pup" is the new black!

Sonic
Old May 21st 2005, 9:16 am
Banned

Hunkyhenry will become famous soon enough

Good one!!!!!