Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What clothes to bring for Xmas hols in Qld?

What clothes to bring for Xmas hols in Qld?

Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

CK2B will become famous soon enough
Default What clothes to bring for Xmas hols in Qld?

Hi all,

Hoping for a bit of advice on the packing front for our validation/holiday in December. We're heading to Sunshine Coast 17 Dec, will spend Xmas there and then going to Port Douglas on Dec 27th for the New Year. Staying in resorts in both places.

Questions:
Will I need to pack coats/jackets - do the evenings get chilly? What about rain gear?

Do I need to bring some more dressy clothes for going out in evenings?

Booked a restaurant for Xmas dinner (evening time) - do people dress up a bit more on Christmas Day?

Thanks for any help - trying to keep it as simple as poss. Getting pretty excited now though
CK
Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:36 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What clothes to bring for Xmas hols in Qld?

It's gonna be hot hot hot by then. T-shirt, boardies and thongs I reckon

Not sure about dressing for dinner on Christmas day, 'dressing up' is not part of a Queenslanders make up normally.

You definitely won't need a jacket for the evenings. It doesn't cool down that much at night.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:40 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CK2B
Hi all,

Hoping for a bit of advice on the packing front for our validation/holiday in December. We're heading to Sunshine Coast 17 Dec, will spend Xmas there and then going to Port Douglas on Dec 27th for the New Year. Staying in resorts in both places.

Questions:
Will I need to pack coats/jackets - do the evenings get chilly? What about rain gear?

Booked a restaurant for Xmas dinner (evening time) - do people dress up a bit more on Christmas Day?

Thanks for any help - trying to keep it as simple as poss. Getting pretty excited now though
CK
LOL, sorry, but the thought of anyone wearing a jacket or coat in December here in Brisbane let alone in Port Douglas really did make me laugh .

To answer your question, no, you most definitely will not need coats or jackets, I doubt you would even need a lightweight cardigan or pullover even in Brisbane coming directly from the UK winter & if you wear anything but the lightest weight clothes (probably your swimmers!) in Port Douglas I will be very surprised . At that time of the year minimum temps in Port Dougas area are likely to be in the mid to high 20s (thats celcius!!). Rain gear would be much more likely to be used, although not likely the sort of raingear that you would get in the UK ie stuff to keep the rain and snow out. What you will be best off getting is a light weight poncho style plastic rain coat.

You may find some people in the resorts dress up a bit - depends very much on the resort & what you consider "dressed up"!

Ditto what restuarant it is for xmas dinner whether anyone will be "dressed up" or not. If you go out to a nightclub or something like that in the city then you are more likely to find people a bit more formal than the suburbs where they are likely to be very casual
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:02 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
... If you go out to a nightclub or something like that in the city then you are more likely to find people a bit more formal than the suburbs ......
Translation.

In the city nightclubs they sometimes wear shoes
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:42 pm
Auspom

Auspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant future

Hi all,

Questions:

CK
All u need to pack is a pair if bathers spare pair of undies,some thongs(shoes),a hat, sunscreen and the thickest thing is a T-shirt,Australia is more bout comfort rather than fashion unlike england.
On the going outside of things a nice thin dress and a pair of open toed shoes,By the time your on your second bottle of Fine Aussie wine u won't care.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:16 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DagBoy
Translation.

In the city nightclubs they sometimes wear shoes
Better ask arkon about that
Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:39 pm
ABCDiamond

You'd better specify which restaurant, someone may know an accurate answer. They often have the air con on...... really cold

Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:44 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Shorts!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to what everyone's suggested above, I would recommend bringing a thin white/light-coloured long-sleeved linen shirt (how precise is that?! ) to keep the sun out and keep you cool when you're outdoor. I often find linen shirts and shorts much more breathable than cotton ones. When you're indoor, the long sleeves can also keep you from getting frozen by the aircon.

Mrs JTL
Old Nov 30th 2005, 1:41 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
In addition to what everyone's suggested above, I would recommend bringing a thin white/light-coloured long-sleeved linen shirt (how precise is that?! ) to keep the sun out and keep you cool when you're outdoor. I often find linen shirts and shorts much more breathable than cotton ones. When you're indoor, the long sleeves can also keep you from getting frozen by the aircon.

Mrs JTL
But bear in mind you can still get sunburn through a linen shirt. Especially when Mrs JTL has washed it and the 'long sleeves' now only come down to the elbows.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 1:42 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A dogs life
But bear in mind you can still get sunburn through a linen shirt. Especially when Mrs JTL has washed it and the 'long sleeves' now only come down to the elbows.
Better get used to doing your own washing then ........
Old Nov 30th 2005, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
Better get used to doing your own washing then ........
Good advice, Wayne.

Hey you two, Wayne and ADL, get back to work. What're you doing posting on the forum from the office?!

Mrs JTL
Old Nov 30th 2005, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

I haven't worn anything resembling a jacket/long-sleeved type item in Brisbane for the last two months!
Actually, that's a lie. I should have said I haven't worn anything resembling a jacket/long-sleeved type item OUTSIDE for the last two months.
I leave a jacket type item at the office and wear it every day to protect me from the air con!
I have to make myself a hot drink pretty much every hour to keep warm
It's the only country I've been to where you have to wrap up warm to go inside, and take your jacket off to go outside
As for the formality issue, the most dressy I've ever seen anyone is in smart-casual. eg, trousers/jeans, nice t-shirt and runners/shoes (depending on the place) for a bloke, and light summer dress or skirt/top with flat sandals/pumps for the girls.
Full on dressing up just doesn't seem to exist here like it does in the UK
Old Nov 30th 2005, 4:56 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Good advice, Wayne.

Hey you two, Wayne and ADL, get back to work. What're you doing posting on the forum from the office?!

Mrs JTL
Well said Mrs JTL...so are you a lady of leisure now? No signs of an early arrival?

Carol
Old Nov 30th 2005, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

What restaurant? most will be fairly casual, had pom mate staying last NYE, year they wanted to dress up in designer full length dress etc, worse that it was low cut flaminco style , got mortally offended when we suggested it might be a bit much for OZ even on new years eve, then they got into a bust up with 2 aussie blokes who just had to pass comment on the dressed up look and called our brummie female friend a hooker :scared: After that they declared OZ dead and tried to gatecrash a wedding, one NYE we wont forget

As for the days you do need a long sleeve cover up, those kaftans are in this year, burn time around dec can be as little as 6 minutes, most poms overdo it and end up crook with sunstroke. Water intake should be about 3 litres a day. Big hat too and some mozzie repel before you go out at night.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.