Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

Old Dec 16th 2011, 9:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

Originally Posted by Tingle
Don't do big cities, can't see the point, parking is nearly always free in towns and provincial cities! Even in the big cities though I have found parking in Australia to be much cheaper than the UK or UL if you would prefer

What does UL stand for anyway
Great to have free parking if you live in a provincial town, not so good if you live in a city. Not that its my problem, I don't drive
Old Dec 16th 2011, 9:27 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Great to have free parking if you live in a provincial town
The Maccas are cooler though.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Tingle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Great to have free parking if you live in a provincial town, not so good if you live in a city. Not that its my problem, I don't drive
I can see that......nice legs
Old Dec 16th 2011, 9:30 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

I can see that......nice legs
return of the Don
Old Dec 16th 2011, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
return of the Don
:nod
Old Dec 16th 2011, 10:43 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

:nod
Old Dec 16th 2011, 11:07 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Public transport.
Petrol. Yes
Electricty/gas. Not according to my research
Postage. Not necessarily
car insurance. Not for me it isnt
Meat. Some is and some isnt
Fruit and vegies (I go to market for these)Definitely not
Eating out. Definitely not

Keep in mind wages are higher in Oz too, but Australia is not a consumer paradise... too small a population and large distances to truck things around. Some peoples wages are higher and some are lower
BUT you can shop online and get some bargains and I am paid more here than in the UK (as a teacher) and my husband earns around 30% more.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 11:09 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Parking isnt free in most places in Brisbane, just the opposite. Parks in the UK are also free as is the sunshine and the beaches. I do agree about the free BBQ's, they are great.

Don't forget all the free stuff; Car parking is free in most places. The parks and barbeques are free. The sunshine and beaches are free
Old Dec 16th 2011, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chris955
Parking isnt free in most places in Brisbane, just the opposite. Parks in the UK are also free as is the sunshine and the beaches. I do agree about the free BBQ's, they are great.
Sunshine?? Don't recall seeing much of that in the UK since 1978. Some very good beaches, yes, but too bloody cold to go on them!
Old Dec 16th 2011, 11:22 am
Banned

Sorry to hear that, we have seen plenty of sunshine and enjoyed many a day by the coast not that beaches interest us at all but love looking at old coast towns and villages.

Sunshine?? Don't recall seeing much of that in the UK since 1978. Some very good beaches, yes, but too bloody cold to go on them!
Old Dec 16th 2011, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Sorry to hear that, we have seen plenty of sunshine and enjoyed many a day by the coast not that beaches interest us at all but love looking at old coast towns and villages.
That gives me a lovely romantic feeling inside that does....lovely.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 11:35 am
Banned

Well the Dorset/Devon coast is quite romantic

That gives me a lovely romantic feeling inside that does....lovely.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Well the Dorset/Devon coast is quite romantic
Yeah, if you're 70 something and its not pissing down with rain! It hasn't stopped raining in Devon since July 1996 you know.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 11:56 am
Banned

Well we are much younger than 70 and it wasn't raining when we were there, sounds as though we were very lucky if it has been raining for that long. I live in Brisbane so I'm used to the rain anyway.

Yeah, if you're 70 something and its not pissing down with rain! It hasn't stopped raining in Devon since July 1996 you know.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Re Electricity and Gas.... I'm quite suprised about this. Went right into the tarrifs this morning. It now looks to me like Electricity and Gas at present exchange rates are in fact cheaper in the UK.

Heres the Prices based on (Milton Keynes) MK13 as compared to Melbournes North.

Gas...

Standing charge 55.000p a day (57.750p a day or £52.70 per quarter inc. VAT) Unit rate 2.564p per kwh(2.692p inc. VAT)

Electricity Rates

Standing charge 25.000p a day (26.250p a day or £23.95 per quarter inc. VAT) Day rate 11.919p per kwh(12.515p inc. VAT)

V Aus

Electricity

Supply Charge 91.85 c/day 1-Jan to 31-Dec e 20.41 c Kwh
22.451 c/kWh 1-Jan to 31-Dec

Supply charge 48.34 c/day 1-Jan to 31-Dec Gas 3 (peak) Usage first 5250MJ/qtr 1.68 c/MJ 1.848 c/MJ 1-Jun to 30-Sep Remaining usage/qtr 1.52 c/MJ 1.672 c/MJ

1-Jun to 30-Sep Gas 3 (peak) Usage first 5250MJ/qtr 1.43 c/MJ 1.573 c/MJ 1-Oct to 31-May Remaining usage/qtr 1.26 c/MJ 1.386 c/MJ 1-Oct to 31-May

To work out the MJ's into Kwh for Gas x 3.6 Which gives a rate of around 2.3 Pence .... The effect of the supply charge is negligible for the average household of 3 people or more.

So I now say based on the above figures that Gas and Electricity is at least 15 pct cheaper in the UK.

Thats a sad indictment on energy rich Australia..... Almost worth a letter to the Energy Minister.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 16th 2011 at 6:59 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.