What is a chav?

Old May 6th 2005, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold
Default What is a chav?

Can someone please tell me what a chav is? I'm out of touch with British slang and this is a new one to me. Is it an abbreviation of something or an acronym? Can you provide some examples of chav-type people so I get the picture? I saw something on the UK msn site when I was checking the election results. Thanks !
Old May 6th 2005, 12:02 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is a chav?

Originally Posted by TopCat3
Can someone please tell me what a chav is? I'm out of touch with British slang and this is a new one to me. Is it an abbreviation of something or an acronym? Can you provide some examples of chav-type people so I get the picture? I saw something on the UK msn site when I was checking the election results. Thanks !

http://www.chavscum.co.uk/
Old May 6th 2005, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

elfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sel
Hi, I have just been on the chav website and its really funny, but really, really scarey!.
We gotta get out of this place..........and soon
Elfin x
Old May 6th 2005, 12:19 pm
Badge

Is anyone else thinking what I have been thinking...mate either you've been out of country a while as you say, or you're a windup - one of the 2.

You're not missing anything.

Badge

Old May 6th 2005, 12:23 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
When I lived in Dorset in the 90's the kids were using chav but to them it meant someone who didn't have any money and was constantly scrounging off others. Having been onto the chav website it obviously now means something completely different, it appears that you need to be loaded to buy all the branded clothing.
Sarah
Old May 6th 2005, 12:24 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teach
Hi,
When I lived in Dorset in the 90's the kids were using chav but to them it meant someone who didn't have any money and was constantly scrounging off others. Having been onto the chav website it obviously now means something completely different, it appears that you need to be loaded to buy all the branded clothing.
Sarah
or be good at shop lifting
Old May 6th 2005, 12:25 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by teach
Hi,
Sarah
The Burberry gear is fake

-Becs
Old May 6th 2005, 12:29 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
Is anyone else thinking what I have been thinking...mate either you've been out of country a while as you say, or you're a windup - one of the 2.

Badge
An old "friend"?
Old May 6th 2005, 12:37 pm
AC/DC!

yamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really nice

See my Post on POMs!

Basically they are NEDs (the scottish equivalent) which have plagued the Scottish central belt for decades now.
The term 'NED' was originally coined by the Scottish polis and stands for Non Educated Delinquent. Ignore the delinquent part now though as NEDS can actually be well into their 30s. Perhaps they mean mental delinquents?
They tend to swarm in groups and pick on individuals, kind of like a pack of Hyennas. Individually they are pretty harmless though usually because they are so skinny and wasted. They can easily be spotted as they alway wears white 'traccie' and a Cap and talk in a mumbling manner.

Ned Kelly was a NED but didnt know it I suppose

Does that help?
Old May 6th 2005, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Badge

Badge
No I'm not a windup, just a sad old case who's a bit out of touch. It's 1984 since I was living in the UK. Honestly I hadn't heard the term til I discovered this website (feeling homesick after all these years, I keep looking at Trafalgar Sq webcams & a website called Pictures of England - I TOLD you it's sad ) and I have SO enjoyed the British sense of humour and the banter back & forth- and I must say it's given me a dose of reality and dispelled the rosy-tinted chocolate-box picture I've been carrying around lately - nostalgia for my youth I suppose. and hell, I miss my sisters now we only have each other left. So it's been great meeting you all and thank you.
Old May 6th 2005, 12:45 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Becs
The Burberry gear is fake

-Becs
LOL, I'm blonde.
Old May 6th 2005, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sel

OK Sel, thanks, been there done that, now I get the picture. Still wonder how the name came to be coined though. Yep, it's scarey all right, but we have similar here don't we? The young "Lebanese" type boys?And have you noticed how all the young Asian girls love their Burberry tartan scarves/handbags/coat-linings? Then there's the westies, now c'mon you must have heard of them...
Old May 6th 2005, 1:10 pm
Badge

No I'm not a windup, just a sad old case who's a bit out of touch. It's 1984 since I was living in the UK. Honestly I hadn't heard the term til I discovered this website (feeling homesick after all these years, I keep looking at Trafalgar Sq webcams & a website called Pictures of England - I TOLD you it's sad ) and I have SO enjoyed the British sense of humour and the banter back & forth- and I must say it's given me a dose of reality and dispelled the rosy-tinted chocolate-box picture I've been carrying around lately - nostalgia for my youth I suppose. and hell, I miss my sisters now we only have each other left. So it's been great meeting you all and thank you.
Had a quick look through your posts and yup you seem genuine..bit quick there to point the finger...

good to see you enjoying it

Old May 6th 2005, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

vandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant future

I heard someone say the other day that CHAV stood for 'Council House and Violent'. How true that is I don't know.
Old May 6th 2005, 3:36 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by vandiemen
I heard someone say the other day that CHAV stood for 'Council House and Violent'. How true that is I don't know.
that`s TRUE!! You win a prize (to be delivered to your door by a gang of chavs)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.