Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Car you Got/Getting ?

What Car you Got/Getting ?

Old Aug 11th 2004, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What Car you Got/Getting ?

A Land Rover Discovery TD5 - the best 4 x 4 by far.

Old Aug 11th 2004, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

mrttennis is an unknown quantity at this point

Went to the Brisbane EKKA yesterday and got a Toyota Rav4 and Corrolla brand new for $50K!!
Bigger engines than the the UK versions and both with A/C and loads cheaper!!
Old Aug 11th 2004, 11:32 pm
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough

I've got a Alfa Romeo 33 bought for $2300. But the car I would buy if I had the money would be a Peugot 307 diesel for its amazing, world record breaking fuel economy, read this:

Two New Fuel Economy World Records For Peugeot
By EBROADCAST and agencies | Mar 23, 2004, 09:44

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

After setting off from the Melbourne International Motorshow on February 27, John Taylor, driving a Peugeot 307 Touring HDi, has completed his 25 day ‘Round Australia’ journey and set two new fuel economy World Records.

Driving around the coast of Australia, John and the 307 are the new owners of the Round Australia Diesel Economy World Record and the overall Round Australia World Fuel Economy Record.

“The Peugeot 307 has performed magnificently. Without a doubt, it is the most practical, comfortable and stylish car I have driven on an economy drive.�, John said. “The trip has been more like a holiday drive than a record attempt; the car is packed with great features which come to the fore on long trips, such as driver and passenger arm rests, and even an airconditioned glove box – great for keeping my snacks nice and cool�.

Guinness Book of World Records requirements have been strictly adhered to for the test, including official police observance from the Victorian Police in scrutinising the entire drive and the conditions. Senior Constable Malcolm Durrant has driven a second Peugeot 307 on the trip and has been John’s constant shadow. The fuel tank was sealed and only opened by Malcolm when required.

You may recall a Peugeot 406 Diesel set a world record in 2002, driven by John who is a multiple fuel economy world record holder, when it travelled from Melbourne to Rockhampton on a single tank of fuel. The car covered a staggering 2348 km's in real day-to-day driving condtitions on less than 70 litres of Diesel.

“With three fuel economy world records belonging to Peugeot, I truly believe that they build the most economical cars in the world’’ said John.

Flying straight in from Singapore where he currently resides, John drove the car for the first time off the Motorshow stand, having not seen or tested it before the start of the trip. The 307 Touring was a completely stock standard car, with no modifications whatsoever. John and Malcolm faced challenging conditions on the drive, including a punctured tyre, tropical storms in Queensland and Western Australia, and many water hazards culminating in having to navigate their way around a washed away bridge just out of Karratha, WA.

Peugeot Automobiles Australia’s Managing Director was clearly impressed with John’s achievements, “One of the most pleasing aspects of this fantastic result with the Peugeot 307 was the fact that we achieved it in a ‘real world’ situation. John drove via the normal highways that people would use when heading around the country, in a fashion that most Australians would be completely familiar with when they take their annual holidays. Too often, long distance driving attempts are made on closed test tracks, or in the empty country side along vast stretches of long straight roads.�

Mr. Dommerson continued, “Peugeot has a long and proud history in this country, beginning with the famous Peugeot victory in the first round Australia Redex Reliability Trial in 1953. With the affinity of our diesel models with our rural, and now increasingly our city customers, traveling vast distances is not something new for Peugeot. The two new world records that John has set in the 307 are fantastic achievements, and we congratulate him wholeheartedly�.

Last edited by joninoxford; Aug 11th 2004 at 11:34 pm.