Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what car should i buy

what car should i buy

Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:33 am
Just Joined

garyfish1968 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what car should i buy

Should be moving out to australia soon and will be buying a second hand car. What i need is a wagon (estate) size and have been looking at the subaru outback. I will have around $15000 to spend.
Anyone have any opinions on this vehicle or any suggestions as to what i should get.
We will be moving to the outskirts of Melbourne.
many thanks
Old Apr 29th 2010, 12:19 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: what car should i buy

After my experience today a Mini Minor sounds good.

At least you can find and change the spark plugs without having to take the engine half to pieces !!

But... you can check out a used car price guide at: http://www.discountusedcars.com.au/

This link shows you the Subaru Outback range:
http://www.discountusedcars.com.au/l...agesonly=false

Hmm, mine is worth about $7,000 now. I paid $11,000 about 4 years ago, similar to this..

Second hand cars seem to hold their prices well.

Old Apr 29th 2010, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by garyfish1968
Should be moving out to australia soon and will be buying a second hand car. What i need is a wagon (estate) size and have been looking at the subaru outback. I will have around $15000 to spend.
Anyone have any opinions on this vehicle or any suggestions as to what i should get.
many thanks
Hi

Scoobys are awesome, I have Forester 2.5XT 2005 0-60 in around 6.5 seconds.

Word of advice for australia, get something with big big bumpers because all australians drive like dikhedz. (Not all but 95%)
Old Apr 29th 2010, 1:54 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanpears99
Hi

Word of advice for australia, get something with big big bumpers because all australians drive like dikhedz. (Not all but 95%)
this is perfect then
Attached Thumbnails what car should i buy-world_trip_07_1201791600_all-cars-have-huge-bull-bars.jpg  
Old Apr 29th 2010, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by seanpears99
Hi

We have an XT as well, awesome power and sound but don't really get chance to use all its power very often. Would love to take it back to the UK and really drive it.
What about a late model Magna wagon - seem pretty reliable and can pick them up for around $15k
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

deadlock will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by garyfish1968
many thanks
buy a nissan patrol gq 4.2 deisel you'll get a good one (like mine) for 10k, they are good on fuel theres loads of them about spares are everywhere, i've got a fridge freezer in mine and an awning on the side its the car to have in aus,they are extremely reliable ( as in 7-800,00 klms) and set up properly will go anywhere.a subaru will only get you half the places a gq will
Old Apr 30th 2010, 1:47 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by rockpeblar
Would love to take it back to the UK and really drive it.
Where in the UK ?

Before 2007, the Northern Territory with its 'no limit' roads was a good place to speed, but they now have the 130kph speed limit (81mph)

Here in QLD the best we get is 110kph (69mph)

Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Where in the UK ?

Before 2007, the Northern Territory with its 'no limit' roads was a good place to speed, but they now have the 130kph speed limit (81mph)

Here in QLD the best we get is 110kph (69mph)
Cornwall - lots of good roads, pretty quiet except in summer and minimal cameras and police
Old Apr 30th 2010, 8:30 am
Just Joined

garyfish1968 is an unknown quantity at this point

i live in cornwall and yep your right nice roads except in the summer or when stuck behind farmer GILES, but still looking forward to moving to melbourne.
Old May 1st 2010, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

We went back last year to Cornwall for a visit and it was nice to drive over 70mph again - 100kmh over here is very frustating when you have a decent car and nice quiet roads.