Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What car do you have?

What car do you have?

Old Dec 15th 2005, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What car do you have?

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
I think Ken Livingstone is selling several hundred Routemasters?

With a name like routemaster, they are bound to do well in Aussie.

My car, an ozone depleting ford falcon sapphire station wagon, I've got to say I really do enjoy driving it. They come into their own on long long trips. Crap around town though, fuel wise, although they dont feel as big as they are from a handling point of view.

I'll be happy driving it, till it falls to bits, because then I've promised to get myself a small diesel. Not while the kids go everywhere with us though, we need the space.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 8:36 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys

Ginny
Old Dec 17th 2005, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

SiennaRowe is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: What car do you have?

I have an "atlantis blue" Holden Barina...bought it brand new, 20km on the clock, for 15k. Me and hubby think this was quite a good deal!

Hubby has a Nissan Pulsar....the less said about it the better!

S x
Old Dec 17th 2005, 11:58 am
There is no "U" in Qantas

MisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Stitch
Any comments on what car would meet my needs....

Me, Hubby two kids...4 and 7 plus dog...Need something that we can take all of us and some camping gear and reliable....also need a run around.

Suggestions anyone?

Cheers

Ginny
I would go for a P38A Range Rover:
http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsa...ch_distance=25
Good interior space for five and a dog, four wheel drive capability and will be comfortable on long drives with the air suspension. Has all the toys too. I know Range Rovers are not the most reliable of vehicles but if you buy carefully and look after it you cannot go far wrong. There are plenty of websites with a wealth of info to help you buy, maintain and enjoy these cars. Just put "Range Rover" into Google.

As a runaround I can highly recommend a Honda Civic:
I used to get one as a courtesy car when my Accord went in for a service. The interior is immense. It has almost MPV dimesions on the inside without driving a van with windows!

Me and Laneylou are looking at getting a Range Rover as we would like to go 4 wheel driving in the country and join a 4x4 club (good way to meet people!) We also want something which can go from Melbourne to Sydney/Adelaide etc in limo comfort.

Hope this is helpful.
Old Dec 17th 2005, 12:03 pm

MisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really nice

Originally Posted by MisterTwo
I would go for a P38A Range Rover:
Good interior space for five and a dog, four wheel drive capability and will be comfortable on long drives with the air suspension. Has all the toys too. I know Range Rovers are not the most reliable of vehicles but if you buy carefully and look after it you cannot go far wrong. There are plenty of websites with a wealth of info to help you buy, maintain and enjoy these cars. Just put "Range Rover" into Google.

As a runaround I can highly recommend a Honda Civic:
I used to get one as a courtesy car when my Accord went in for a service. The interior is immense. It has almost MPV dimesions on the inside without driving a van with windows!

Me and Laneylou are looking at getting a Range Rover as we would like to go 4 wheel driving in the country and join a 4x4 club (good way to meet people!) We also want something which can go from Melbourne to Sydney/Adelaide etc in limo comfort.

Hope this is helpful.
Sorry I fluffed up the Civic link: http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsa...ch_distance=25
Old Dec 17th 2005, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

RogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura about

I would avoid Range Rover/Discovery at all costs. Very unreliable, costly to repair and expensive to buy. You can do better than buying these. Even in UK they have a terrible reputation for being unreliable. Very sad.
Roger
Old Dec 17th 2005, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

We have a Holden Jackaroo as we needed 7 seats and wanted to go off-roading. We like it and it is easy to drive with cruise control etc and doesn't drink the petrol like some of the others in the same class.
We are now having to look for a second car as I am going to need one to ferry the little darlings around over the summer holidays but will go for something cheap and cheerful.
Nicky
Old Dec 18th 2005, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Stitch
Hi folks.

Was wondering if those of you out in Oz would tell me what kind of car do you have and why you chose that one. Also what's the cost of second hand motors out there?

Cheers

Ginny

We have a Honda CRV a smallish 4WD. Small enough to be a car and big enough to haul the boat up the ramp. The cost of a second hand CRV here made it not worth considering. Our CRV was $32K and a 18mth old one was $29. (It;s not a fleet type car so they hold their price.

We are well pleased with it.

Hope this helps
Old Dec 18th 2005, 3:40 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RogerUK
I would avoid Range Rover/Discovery at all costs. Very unreliable, costly to repair and expensive to buy. You can do better than buying these. Even in UK they have a terrible reputation for being unreliable. Very sad.
Roger
Agree. Avoid completely. The only ones I see around here are being driven by Poms!

Too expensive, look like a brick/taxi combination, breakdown at every turn and if you think the service costs and parts are expensive in the UK...wait till you get here!!

Australia is the land of the real 4x4 and there are heaps of alternatives and most much better than the Range Rover/Discovery offerings.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 10:13 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MisterTwo
Thanks for the info, even the fluffy bit!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 18th 2005, 10:15 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Roger
Cheers,

Never really liked the idea here in the UK. Don't have a preference for a particular make. Whatever is a good runner and not particularly expensive to repair.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 18th 2005, 10:16 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by Rabc
We have a Honda CRV a smallish 4WD. Small enough to be a car and big enough to haul the boat up the ramp. The cost of a second hand CRV here made it not worth considering. Our CRV was $32K and a 18mth old one was $29. (It;s not a fleet type car so they hold their price.

We are well pleased with it.

Hope this helps
Yeh, great info. Don't know about spending that amount though. Bit pricey considering all the other things we'll have to buy.

Thanks

Ginny
Old Dec 18th 2005, 10:17 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by Centurion
Agree. Avoid completely. The only ones I see around here are being driven by Poms!

Too expensive, look like a brick/taxi combination, breakdown at every turn and if you think the service costs and parts are expensive in the UK...wait till you get here!!

Australia is the land of the real 4x4 and there are heaps of alternatives and most much better than the Range Rover/Discovery offerings.
Thanks.

Definately looking for something on the cheaper side.

Ginny
Old Dec 19th 2005, 10:54 am

Roger
As I said in my post, they are not the most reliable vehicles and if bought carefully and looked after can last for years - I mean if you are one of these people who just expects the car to go every day without bothering to maintain it then you will get big bills. I know plenty of people who have had Land Rovers for years with no problems and would never drive anything else. Obviously depends on how much you want to spend and how much of a car enthusiast you are. I am a car enthusiast so I will be buying a Range Rover - if you are not then buy a Hyundai. Will be worth nothing in 5 years though when the warranty runs out (if the 5 yr warranty is available in Oz that is).
Old Dec 19th 2005, 11:04 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

We had a Freelander in the UK which we had for 3 years and only thing to go on it was the IRD which Landrover replaced no problem under warranty. The Series 3 Lightweight Landy was just FUN. No stopping it - and for a car that was ex-army and 26 years old it still went like a bomb. 2.25 litre petrol engine with the Army carb still on so yu could put almost anything into it and it would run. A great beach/quarry basher, and just unstoppable (if a little uncomfortable) off road

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.