Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what car do you drive???? and whats the best four wheel drive on the road???

what car do you drive???? and whats the best four wheel drive on the road???

Old Feb 14th 2005, 4:41 am
Just Joined

expressos is on a distinguished road
Default what car do you drive???? and whats the best four wheel drive on the road???

hello there
would really like to know what you wonderfull people drive?
and if anyone could tell me the good bad and ugly about any of these four wheel drives:

toyotta: prado

mitsubishiajero

ford:territory

hyuandi:terrican

your advice and reccomemdation on these would me much appreciated

another ??
how many of you have or will buy brand new

many thanks
Old Feb 14th 2005, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice
Default Re: what car do you drive???? and whats the best four wheel drive on the road???

If you ask my husband there is only one 4 wheel drive worth speaking of - Landrover Defender -which we left in the UK (for him it was worse than leaving the family) but on getting here I bought a Mitsubishi Pajero, 2nd hand got to say its been great - took it off roading for a week on Fraser Island No troubles at all, and it took some battering! would reccomend it.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 5:31 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice
Default Re: what car do you drive???? and whats the best four wheel drive on the road???

The Landcruiser is commonly understood to be the best all-round 4wd, but by no means the most cost effective. Horses for courses obviously, what's best for serious off-road use isn't going to be the same car that doesn't mind bouncing over kerbs on the school run.

I thought at some length about buying a 4wd, but decided against it on the basis I think I can rent one for the times I'll need it with the running cost savings of having a normal car.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 5:39 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

We have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder & a 2003 Mitsubishi Magna stationwagon. Bought the 4WD new as part of Dagboys package at work, the Magna was 2nd hand (12 months old, end of last year). A hell of a lot cheaper 2nd hand than new!

Best 4wd? Toyota Landcruiser, no contest.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Got to agree the Toyota Landcruiser is the best 4WD available but it's bloody expensive. If you go on organised 4WD trips from virtually anywhere in Oz it will be in a Landcruiser as they are so reliable and can cope with most terrain. When I was touring NT and WA I did about 4 tours and they were all in LC if it involved off road travel.

Don't own a 4WD as the running costs are twice that for a 2WD and I cannot justify it.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Mine is a beautiful Rav4.
Love it to bits, in fact gonna go out and give it a lovely polish!!
Old Feb 14th 2005, 11:02 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Mine is a beautiful Rav4.
Love it to bits, in fact gonna go out and give it a lovely polish!!
Sj,
as long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters!

Bye
Mark
Old Feb 14th 2005, 12:08 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by expressos
hello there
and if anyone could tell me the good bad and ugly about any of these four wheel drives:

mitsubishiajero

another ??

many thanks
If you are going off road alot a new 4WD is probably not a good idea, as you will be scared of damage etc, which is inevitable.
I have a 14 year old Pajero that goes just about anywhere equipped with sump and tank protectors roo bar and bush bars, however, the serious guys all go for Land cruisers or HJ's. Depends what you are expecting/hoping to do.
A lot of the 4WD around Perth probably never get used to their full potential, never using 4WD or lo ratio etc.

Slightly off thread, If you do go for alot of serious off road stuff, get a HF radio and good aerial fitted as mobile phones and CB have to limited a range.

Paul J
Old Mar 7th 2005, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by expressos
hello there

mitsubishiajero

another ??

many thanks
i drive a Golf V6 4 motion and its like sh** off a shovel.

as for BIG four wheelers - got to be a discovery for me every day!
Old Mar 7th 2005, 7:15 pm
Sydney here we come!

hayley & alan is on a distinguished road

We are looking to get a Honda CRV Sport - looks nice and hopefully will go on forever!
Old Mar 7th 2005, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hayley & alan
We are looking to get a Honda CRV Sport - looks nice and hopefully will go on forever!
ive had a freelander and a discovery - discovery was fantastic. now Golf V6. am looking to take it over to Oz but fear will cost arm and leg.

i assume you buying honda over in Oz - are they cheaper than in UK? the amount it is going to cost me in tax and duties night as well put it towards a new car!!
Old Mar 7th 2005, 7:46 pm
Sydney here we come!

hayley & alan is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rooksie
ive had a freelander and a discovery - discovery was fantastic. now Golf V6. am looking to take it over to Oz but fear will cost arm and leg.

i assume you buying honda over in Oz - are they cheaper than in UK? the amount it is going to cost me in tax and duties night as well put it towards a new car!!
Yep, buying in Oz. They seem a bit cheaper over here than here. This is a good site to look at:- www.carguide.com.au
Old Mar 7th 2005, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

Yep, buying in Oz. They seem a bit cheaper over here than here. This is a good site to look at:- www.carguide.com.au
great - thanks.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 9:07 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by 4lex
The Landcruiser is commonly understood to be the best all-round 4wd, but by no means the most cost effective. Horses for courses obviously, what's best for serious off-road use isn't going to be the same car that doesn't mind bouncing over kerbs on the school run.

I thought at some length about buying a 4wd, but decided against it on the basis I think I can rent one for the times I'll need it with the running cost savings of having a normal car.
I worked with Land Rover for a while, and they are undoubtably good 4WDs. But have to agree the Landcruiser is King. Take a look in the middle east and you will see an overwhelming number of LCs compared to any other 4WD.

As to hiring a 4WD - it's pretty difficult as we found out. None of the major rental companies will allow you to take their 4WDs off road. Try ringing round Brisbane to find someone that will let you!
We bought one and are v happy with it. It's great for a weekend away in the Hunter. Doesn't mind the rough tracks, looks good enough for some of the smarter places, and has loads of space for those crates of wine!
Old Mar 7th 2005, 9:09 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
If you go on organised 4WD trips from virtually anywhere in Oz it will be in a Landcruiser as they are so reliable and can cope with most terrain. When I was touring NT and WA I did about 4 tours and they were all in LC if it involved off road travel.
I've been told that apart from being reliable and able, the landcruiser is popular in remote areas because spare parts are easy to get hold of compared to other manufacturers. A Nissan might be as good or better at 4wd'ing but you won't get one fixed as easily outback. Break down in your BMW X5 and you'll have a long wait for the spares to arrive.

I've got a Landcruiser Prado diesel. Pros: goes anywhere. Cons: the tarmac roads here on the Fleurieu Peninsula are very bumpy and the high ride height can be nauseating. Most of the gravel roads around here are smoother than the tarmac roads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.