Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what can you do without a permanent address....

what can you do without a permanent address....

Old May 10th 2004, 12:46 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default what can you do without a permanent address....

Hi there folks.

it seems like ages since i've started a thread in here so here goes!

i was having a think the other night (oo it hurt) about what i can and can't do in the first few weeks upon arrival in oz, with me not having a permanent postal address i mean. Obviously i'll be looking for something long-term to rent but until that happens i wont have a permanent address, just a temporary one.

so the question to the masses is this. What can and can't be done with just a temporary postal address? for example, applying for an ozzie license, registering with Medicare, the tax number thingy, bank accounts, buying a car (or more importantly a BIKE!),... etc etc etc... you know what i mean - the stuff that must be done when you land.

i know you can get a PO box and use that, but what can you do with a PO address? Is it classed as permanent? or is it just not acceptable?

Any advice would be appreciated!

cheers!

leigh
Old May 10th 2004, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what can you do without a permanent address....

Hiya

When I lived in Oz (Im Ozzie) I always had to use a PO box because I lived in the country and there was no mail delivery. If anyone ever questioned it (rarely) I would tell them why I had a PO Box and give them the address of where my house was.... and it all still went to the PO Box
I am sure u will be able to work around it!
Old May 10th 2004, 1:01 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default Re: what can you do without a permanent address....

Originally posted by jasper pentop
Hiya

When I lived in Oz (Im Ozzie) I always had to use a PO box because I lived in the country and there was no mail delivery. If anyone ever questioned it (rarely) I would tell them why I had a PO Box and give them the address of where my house was.... and it all still went to the PO Box
I am sure u will be able to work around it!

if i can get away with just using a PO box for everything it would make life so much easier! As i'm sure i'll be moving around a fair bit in the first year or so changing address would/could be a nightmare.

i just thought i'd read somewhere that a PO box wouldn't be acceptable for ...erm something. i can't remember what that something was but it seemed pretty important to me when i read it. I've got a memory like a gold fish...... (bubbles! MY BUBBLES!)

it might have been the driver's licence thinking about it... ? I seem to remember thinking i'd need to get a licence to get a car or the insurance,.... or to get the insurance cheaper? maybe?

oh i dunno, i'll have to do some research on that later this afto.

Old May 10th 2004, 1:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people that I send mail to from work use a P O Box number - some of them are out in the sticks, but others are in Brissie itself. We never query it, and I have to admit to being tempted to get one myself as I am sick of getting my mail either wet, through sticking out of the silly little box, or folded up small, to cram it in to the box!

Last edited by Pollyana; May 10th 2004 at 1:24 pm.
Old May 10th 2004, 1:23 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

P S I think the visa application forms say a P O Box is not a valid address
Old May 10th 2004, 1:29 pm
life begins again...

Originally posted by Pollyana
P S I think the visa application forms say a P O Box is not a valid address
hi polly.

this was something i'd noted as well. i was just wondering how far you can go with a PO.. erm box.

I'd thought about using my mates address over there for the first few weeks, but i think someone had already said in another post that you had to prove you were living there. not that i could do that with a rental anyway, i presume.

i think if i got a po box, and use that where i'm allowed but then give out the rental place address where not. i can't see any other way round it.
Old May 10th 2004, 1:33 pm
Home and Happy

Sounds OK to me Scutter. We send out cheques and everything to PO Boxes. Some people have to use them cos the Aus Post won;t deliver to their homes anyway, too isolated or whatever. I think you'll be fine with 99% of the stuff.
Have a feeling that Hevs uses one actually - why not pm her and ask how it works for orricial stuff.
Old May 10th 2004, 1:35 pm
life begins again...

Originally posted by Pollyana
Sounds OK to me Scutter. We send out cheques and everything to PO Boxes. Some people have to use them cos the Aus Post won;t deliver to their homes anyway, too isolated or whatever. I think you'll be fine with 99% of the stuff.
Have a feeling that Hevs uses one actually - why not pm her and ask how it works for orricial stuff.
ahhh just what i was looking for! someone with a bit of experience... erm with PO boxes i mean.

cheers polly i will!

Old May 10th 2004, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

Barron is an unknown quantity at this point

we have another dilemma we have no accom booked were going to visit rellies in Perth and friends in Brisbane but what are you all doing about having post redirected

Thansk Sally
Old May 10th 2004, 4:04 pm
life begins again...

Originally posted by Barron Fam
we have another dilemma we have no accom booked were going to visit rellies in Perth and friends in Brisbane but what are you all doing about having post redirected

Thansk Sally
it's all off to my mums house! she can filter out the junk and forward on what's left. I haven't told her yet so keep it between us ok?
Old May 10th 2004, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by scutterUK
it's all off to my mums house! she can filter out the junk and forward on what's left. I haven't told her yet so keep it between us ok?

Ahhh Bless all those mums out there! Thats exactly what my MIL is doing for us CEPT we told ours
Old May 10th 2004, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

I used my Brothers address for a while until we were sorted with everything. Your friends address should be okay.

Whisky
Old May 10th 2004, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

So heres a question. We are going to live with my brother for a few onths until we get sorted but he lives in rented. Is that classed as permanent?????

By the way Royal Mail do an international re-direction service. Our friends used it but I don't know how much it costs.

Jo x
Old May 10th 2004, 8:17 pm
life begins again...

Originally posted by steve-n-jo
So heres a question. We are going to live with my brother for a few onths until we get sorted but he lives in rented. Is that classed as permanent?????

By the way Royal Mail do an international re-direction service. Our friends used it but I don't know how much it costs.

Jo x

hi jo.

i don't think it matters whether you rent or own, it's how long you will be there. If you use an address that you're not going to be living at 2 weeks later it doesn't seem worth the hassel of giving it out. It's more for your convenience than anyones.

I might be wrong though.
Old May 10th 2004, 8:30 pm
True Blue Aussie

gavo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Permanent Address

I do know that in Queensland (and I'd guess that in other states as well) that it is actually illegal to be living for somewhere over two weeks without updating your drivers licence... so if you are planning on living with friends / family for a couple of months, definately put down their residential address with the department of transport, but tell them you have a different mailing address, and get it sent to your post office box.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.