Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What can I take to Oz?

What can I take to Oz?

Old Oct 6th 2005, 5:57 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Default What can I take to Oz?

You know how when you say to people "We are trying to Move to Oz" everyone becomes an expert!!

Been told by someone whos friend emigrated last year that they were not allowed to take their Bikes as they are deemed dirty?? And also not allowed to take their wooden furniture, because of disease or something!!??

Just wondered is this right?? If it is, is there a list of what you can and cant take with you?? I know about the food thing, but that is about it!!
Old Oct 6th 2005, 6:25 pm
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of
Default Re: What can I take to Oz?

Hiya i am not an expert but i do have a friend who works in shipping and she told me that things like bikes need to be very thouroughly cleaned not a speck of dirt on them for example a guy she was dealing with wanted to take a motorbike and it had to be steam cleaned before it was considered clean enough and with regards to wooden items if you do take wooden items they will want to fumigate them for things like woodworm and other wood pests so unless you are particularly attached to something i wouldn't bother taking it with you.
Hope this helps

Poshrice
Old Oct 6th 2005, 8:02 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poshrice
Hiya i am not an expert but i do have a friend who works in shipping and she told me that things like bikes need to be very thouroughly cleaned not a speck of dirt on them for example a guy she was dealing with wanted to take a motorbike and it had to be steam cleaned before it was considered clean enough and with regards to wooden items if you do take wooden items they will want to fumigate them for things like woodworm and other wood pests so unless you are particularly attached to something i wouldn't bother taking it with you.
Hope this helps

Poshrice

Ok thanks for that!! Will leave the bikes but the wooden furniture has to come, it is new (well 6 months old) and cost a bloody fortune!! Resale value not good!!

Anyone know where there is a list of what can come and what cant??
Old Oct 6th 2005, 8:06 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toon williams
Ok thanks for that!! Will leave the bikes but the wooden furniture has to come, it is new (well 6 months old) and cost a bloody fortune!! Resale value not good!!

I believe that wooden furniture is ok so long as it has been 'treated', ie varnished, polished etc
We will be taking our bikes, just steam cleaning/pressure cleaning them before hand!!!!
Old Oct 6th 2005, 8:10 pm
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

Hiya
try www.customs.gov.au and there is a list of restricted and prohibited items

poshrice
Old Oct 6th 2005, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poshrice
Hiya
try www.customs.gov.au and there is a list of restricted and prohibited items

poshrice
knew about the wooden furniture but the bike is a new onw on me!
I've just had a look at the customs page and cant find anything!

thanks anyway

debbie
Old Oct 6th 2005, 8:23 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbiemc
knew about the wooden furniture but the bike is a new onw on me!
I've just had a look at the customs page and cant find anything!

thanks anyway

debbie
I believe that it's something to do with mud and dirt!!!!!! Auzzie's not want foreign dirt or soil etc in their land!!!!!! and rightly so!!!!!!!!! :scared: who knows what might be in it!!!!
Old Oct 6th 2005, 9:42 pm
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all

Our shippers told us we only have to worry and shouldn't ship raw or untreated wood. The type of finish on normal household wooden furniture is fine.
Bikes have to be spotless.
Carole
Old Oct 6th 2005, 9:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Wood is fine unless its from somewhere like Indonesia or Africa and is untreated. Then it will might need fumigating or destroying. Most wooden stuff is fine. Any outdoor gear needs cleaning with something like Jeyes Fluid - this includes boots/shoes, makje sure they have no dirt on them.

Do a few searches on Mr Mover's posts- hes the experts - and oin "AQIS" - there are plenty of threads about what you can or can't take. Even lawnmowers and vacuum cleaners are OK if they are clean.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

You know how when you say to people "We are trying to Move to Oz" everyone becomes an expert!!

Been told by someone whos friend emigrated last year that they were not allowed to take their Bikes as they are deemed dirty?? And also not allowed to take their wooden furniture, because of disease or something!!??

Just wondered is this right?? If it is, is there a list of what you can and cant take with you?? I know about the food thing, but that is about it!!
That's the problem - as you said everyone becomes an expert and then talks a load of S***.

Take a look at the AQIS website.

THIS SITE is a database from AQIS and you can search for any items you're concerned about and it details the treatment you need to give them.

For example I've got a fish tank I'm taking - and I need to clean it with chlorine (bleach) or gamma radiation before I leave. Couldn't find any Gamma Radiation in Tesco's so it'll be the bleach.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 7:50 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

What can I take to Oz?
A pair of shoes for your kids to wear to school?
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:15 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

Mum and Dad have the packers coming in soon.

Wicker isn't allowed.
Food isn't either - although I read else where that as long as it is dry stuffs/canned etc that it could be shipped.
All garden stuff (lawn mowers etc) need to be totally mud free. As do shoes etc.
Parents do have wooden furniture - but it's old antique furniture and that is fine.

Parents are going through PSS.

Will let you know if there is anything else I can this of.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:31 am
Parent Contr.143

lened is an unknown quantity at this point

The best advice I got was from the freight company John Masons . They send an estimator to visit you and He gives you a folder listing all kinds of things , and answers any queries as he's going round .Sorted everything out for me so good luck.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
That's the problem - as you said everyone becomes an expert and then talks a load of S***.

Take a look at the AQIS website.

THIS SITE is a database from AQIS and you can search for any items you're concerned about and it details the treatment you need to give them.

For example I've got a fish tank I'm taking - and I need to clean it with chlorine (bleach) or gamma radiation before I leave. Couldn't find any Gamma Radiation in Tesco's so it'll be the bleach.
AQIS is certainly the official site. Mr Mover works for a company that imports personal possessions, and has given a wealth of info on the site - well worth checking out his posts - he really IS an expert.

Re the fishtank - search for posts by DMF, she came over a couple of years ago and they shipped their tank with no problems. Don't think she had access to radiation either

Food - you need to declare it, unopened is preferable - certainly with spices and that kind of thing. Most packet stuff, chocolate, sweets, crisps, all OK.

Christmas decorations - beware of pine cones, a strict no-no.

And remember - while lots of us don't claim to be experts, we have been through the importation process, and know what is OK. Do a search on many items and you will find the answer

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 7th 2005 at 10:20 am.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Re the fishtank - search for posts by DMF, she came over a couple of years ago and they shipped their tank with no problems. Don't think she had access to radiation either
But watch out for the cost of a sepcial box for the tank to ensure it doesn't break. We looked at taking my smaller tank (less that 2ft square) and the cost for a special box was quite a lot plus if it did get broken I probably couldn't replace it easily as it was a european make & model. In the end we decided to sell the glass and take all the kit with us as the glass box is the cheap bit anyway.

From what I found fish tanks are OK if they're scrubbed clean but as we keep marines including coral this would be very difficult for us to do without potentially contaminating the tank and killing anything we put in it in future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.