Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What can I research next?

What can I research next?

Old Jan 29th 2003, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What can I research next?

The forums so quiet tonight, I've done all my jobs, nothing on telly, so what can I research now before I get bored and restless waiting for my visa.

What is everyone else researching?

Mash..
Old Jan 29th 2003, 8:22 pm
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mash

one of the things I keep putting off because I know it's going to be a pain is the taxation side of things, ie. transferring pensions from UK to Oz.

Not looking forward to it but it has to be done. Suppose I could do it tonight..... but then again a glass of wine or two sounds good as an alternative.

Steph
Old Jan 29th 2003, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Just watched 'No going back' which was about a couple who moved to Catalonia 3 years ago. It followed their new lives running a 9 acre farm. Quite interesting, I just kept watching the children's happy faces and thinking 'my kids will have that amount of freedom one day'
I have never seen one on Aus, maybe one day one of us forum users will be on there!
Old Jan 29th 2003, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I thought I'd take a couple of weeks off researching. I've just about sickened myself after all the research I've had to do for my MSc in IT.

Saying that I start a new part time job next week as a research nurse co-ordinator so I shall be screaming again!

Apart from all that crap I keep surfing and searching for any little snippets for our validation trip later on in the year. Somethings got to keep me going.

Take care

Ginny
Old Jan 29th 2003, 10:55 pm
Dudley

Originally posted by Paul and Steph
Hi Mash

one of the things I keep putting off because I know it's going to be a pain is the taxation side of things, ie. transferring pensions from UK to Oz.

Not looking forward to it but it has to be done. Suppose I could do it tonight..... but then again a glass of wine or two sounds good as an alternative.

Steph
Hi Steph,

How about leaving your UK pension where it is - provided it's good and well invested?

In Australia, your employer must contribute an additional 9% superannuation above and beyond your agreed gross salary.

It makes sense to have reasonably diverse investments so investments in the UK make sense.

As far as I know, there are no tax difficulties like having to account annually in Australia for your UK pension - at least until you retire and start to recieve a personal income from your UK pension.

Old Jan 29th 2003, 11:57 pm
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point

Dudley,

I consider myself a financial dunce, but I seem to recall something about UK pensions not being index-linked once you were resident in Australia ? Or something to that effect ?

Cheers,
Paul.

Originally posted by Dudley
Hi Steph,

How about leaving your UK pension where it is - provided it's good and well invested?

In Australia, your employer must contribute an additional 9% superannuation above and beyond your agreed gross salary.

It makes sense to have reasonably diverse investments so investments in the UK make sense.

As far as I know, there are no tax difficulties like having to account annually in Australia for your UK pension - at least until you retire and start to recieve a personal income from your UK pension.
Old Jan 30th 2003, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I believe

that applies to state pensions and it applies when you first draw the pension. Once you draw the pension from UK in Oz or NZ you will only get the same amount for as long as you live their is no indexiation once you start drawing it.

But if you have a private pension that would be different, as it has a value, as you have payed into it and can expect the benefits where ever you live. This you would be able to transfer, but I believe it would be better to leave it in the UK as previous poster suggested.

I don't belive you would be able to transfer the value of the state pension to a pension company here as the state pension is different as everyone gets the same amount when they retire, and it depends on how many years they have contributed not how much they have contributed.

But their agin I could be wrong as I'm no expert.
Old Jan 30th 2003, 3:26 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What can I research next?

Originally posted by mashiraz
The forums so quiet tonight, I've done all my jobs, nothing on telly, so what can I research now before I get bored and restless waiting for my visa.

What is everyone else researching?

Mash..
Go down the video shop and get a few Aussie made flims out try Chopper , The Rabbit Proof Fence (maybe out now?),The Castle , Australian Rules , Romper Stomper to name a few it will give you a insight to what an Australian is , the Aussie soaps are pure lah lah land .
The Aussies do not make the worlds best films but they are quite watchable and having lived here a while I can relate to some of them.

Old Jan 30th 2003, 3:40 am
Dudley

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Go down the video shop and get a few Aussie made flims out try Chopper , The Rabbit Proof Fence (maybe out now?),The Castle , Australian Rules , Romper Stomper to name a few it will give you a insight to what an Australian is , the Aussie soaps are pure lah lah land .
The Aussies do not make the worlds best films but they are quite watchable and having lived here a while I can relate to some of them.

Yes - a very useful suggestion from PB.

If you just get one I'd recommend "The Castle". It is as accurate a depiction of how the city working poor live in Australia as any film I can think of - and a touching comedy as well. If you see yourself in the frame, I suggest you think extra hard about emigrating. You might be better off spending the same energy on a better education and / or an invigorating adventure.

The Rabbit Proof Fence is a film about British Colonial treatment of the West Australian Aboriginies - well worth a look but not relevant to the intending immigrant except from an educational point of view.

The others I personally would not watch.

Old Jan 30th 2003, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Inked is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Dudley
Yes - a very useful suggestion from PB.

If you just get one I'd recommend "The Castle". It is as accurate a depiction of how the city working poor live in Australia as any film I can think of - and a touching comedy as well. If you see yourself in the frame, I suggest you think extra hard about emigrating. You might be better off spending the same energy on a better education and / or an invigorating adventure.

{snip}

Have you actually watched the Castle, its funny and heart warming.. if life is guaranteed to be like that in Australia… then it’s a lot better than a lot of folk have in the uk..

If you recall, the family were hard working, and succeeding. They had a main home and a holiday home and by the end of the film they have a successful business and a happy family - always willing to help the neighbours and relating well with those living round them

Sounds to me like you considered the family rather low - not having the best of everything - , almost a middle class English snobbery outlook on them.
Old Jan 30th 2003, 6:52 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Inked
Have you actually watched the Castle, its funny and heart warming.. if life is guaranteed to be like that in Australia… then it’s a lot better than a lot of folk have in the uk..

If you recall, the family were hard working, and succeeding. They had a main home and a holiday home and by the end of the film they have a successful business and a happy family - always willing to help the neighbours and relating well with those living round them

Sounds to me like you considered the family rather low - not having the best of everything - , almost a middle class English snobbery outlook on them.
The Castle is a feel good flim , as the guy said its about a lower working class family if thats all you aspire to great.
Try Chopper its about a real life Melbourne guy basied on his life , see how smug you feel then? this is about the real working class look up Chopper Reid on the internet.

http://www.bigirishgit.com/Movies/chopper.htm

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jan 30th 2003 at 6:57 am.
Old Jan 30th 2003, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

The Castle is a feel good flim , as the guy said its about a lower working class family if thats all you aspire to great.
Try Chopper its about a real life Melbourne guy basied on his life , see how smug you feel then?

'Lower working class family'.... lol
I don’t know you PB, but was expecting your reply to be of this form

Kind of sums you up from what I have read in the past…

and re.. chopper.. you hold that up as real melbourne folk... and yet the web site you offer states....

'Chopper, the movie, is a screen dramatisation based on the life of Mark 'Chopper' Reid. Some literary and dramatic license has been taken by director Andrew Dominik and the movie is not intended to be biographical.
But it does tell a story of a very sick and twisted individual '

you realy trying to say that this it the typical Melboure model of a man????

get real mate..

Last edited by Inked; Jan 30th 2003 at 7:04 am.
Old Jan 30th 2003, 7:13 am
Banned

'Lower working class family'.... lol
I don’t know you PB, but was expecting your reply to be of this form

Kind of sums you up from what I have read in the past…

and re.. chopper.. you hold that up as real melbourne folk... and yet the web site you offer states....

'Chopper, the movie, is a screen dramatisation based on the life of Mark 'Chopper' Reid. Some literary and dramatic license has been taken by director Andrew Dominik and the movie is not intended to be biographical.
But it does tell a story of a very sick and twisted individual '

you realy trying to say that this it the typical Melboure model of a man????

get real mate..
Chopper is based on a real life guy and Melbourne in general , the number one bad guy in Perth has Melbourne friends shares the same hobbies so maybe the place breds this kind of jolly guy.

http://www.melbournecrime.bizhosting.com/jkizon.htm

As a teenager, John Kizon was a star boxer. He grew up in Perth's northern suburbs, training with many of his current business associates.

Kizon later became one of Australia's most colourful crime identities. Kizon, a nightclub owner and entertainment promoter, was a close friend of Alphonse Gangitano, the Melbourne crime figure gunned down in his Templestowe home in January 1998.

Old Jan 30th 2003, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Chopper is based on a real life guy and Melbourne in general , the number one bad guy in Perth has Melbourne friends shares the same hobbies so maybe the place breds this kind of jolly guy.

http://www.melbournecrime.bizhosting.com/jkizon.htm

As a teenager, John Kizon was a star boxer. He grew up in Perth's northern suburbs, training with many of his current business associates.

Kizon later became one of Australia's most colourful crime identities. Kizon, a nightclub owner and entertainment promoter, was a close friend of Alphonse Gangitano, the Melbourne crime figure gunned down in his Templestowe home in January 1998.

And your point is????
Old Jan 30th 2003, 7:31 am
Banned

And your point is????
None at all as I said in the first post get a few videos out made by Austrailian flim makers ,and you may pick something up reguarding what an Australian is and the way of life here.
You may even met Mr Kizon very nice hes always around Northbridge try and walk the way he does hit anyone but his minders have been known to slap people around for looking at the guy.
Another Melbourne flim worth a look is Romper Stomper , young boys having fun could even been set in the UK stars that nice Kiwi Mr Crow now an aussie and behaves like one to.

http://www.reel.com/movie.asp?MID=7835

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.