Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what can anyone tell me about the Gold Coast?

what can anyone tell me about the Gold Coast?

Old Jan 27th 2004, 1:12 am
Just Joined

sarn is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink what can anyone tell me about the Gold Coast?

We have been here on the sunshine coast for the last 7 months and still have that feeling of not belonging. We wonder if we should try somewhere else in OZ. Don't get us wrong we love the Sunshine Coast but there is a lack of employment here. I am a hairdresser and my husband Lee, a warehouse/logistics manager in the UK. Obviolusly we are not expecting to get work in the same fields maybe, just work. Lee has been working as a window installer(blagged his way in and learnt from others), but company is going to sell up!

We did think about the Gold Coast or Perth, what are your thoughts? We have heard mixed stories about both. Can anybody help by giving us an inkling on the employment and good areas/schools etc.

Thanks
Sandra & Lee
Old Jan 27th 2004, 1:20 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: what can anyone tell me about the Gold Coast?

Originally posted by sarn
We have been here on the sunshine coast for the last 7 months and still have that feeling of not belonging. We wonder if we should try somewhere else in OZ. Don't get us wrong we love the Sunshine Coast but there is a lack of employment here. I am a hairdresser and my husband Lee, a warehouse/logistics manager in the UK. Obviolusly we are not expecting to get work in the same fields maybe, just work. Lee has been working as a window installer(blagged his way in and learnt from others), but company is going to sell up!

We did think about the Gold Coast or Perth, what are your thoughts? We have heard mixed stories about both. Can anybody help by giving us an inkling on the employment and good areas/schools etc.

Thanks
Sandra & Lee
Silly season near end - have another look around for work your area now first.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Thanks
Sandra & Lee
Gold coast, bit bigger than the SC but still the same employment fields, housing & tourism bit of retail being the main ones. Has a better highway up to Brisbane tho but there is somethng about it I personally dont like, the mixture of Florida type retirement people, too many tourists, dont know its just never appealed. Schools would have to be pretty much like here. Its only 2 hours away tho why not go down for a week or so.

Where did you live up here, I dont think we have ever spoken? Get lots of PM's from people up here but dont remember your names?

Goodluck anyway
Old Jan 27th 2004, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Megalania
Silly season near end - have another look around for work your area now first.
I'd agree with that, a lot of the seasonal work now ends, so the jobs that do come up are more likely to last.

As for Hairdressing, are you sure theres no work, my hairdresser just left up here and she was always getting offers of work from other salons. Seems the Good ones are hard to find here, ours was booked out 6 weeks in advance!! God but dont start me on that again
Old Jan 27th 2004, 1:50 am
Just Joined

sarn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dotty,

I have read many of your posts on expats, I feel as if I know you!

We live at Coolum, which is a little remote compared to Buderim.Maybe I need to come down there. Work for me isn't too bad I have just posted fliers and put an ad in the scdp to do some mobile work, haven't had many calls as yet. But then not everybody wants their hair cut this week!

It's more work for Lee.We have been told it is not what you know but who you know. We know no Aussie's!
Old Jan 27th 2004, 2:00 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dotty,

I have read many of your posts on expats, I feel as if I know you!

We live at Coolum, which is a little remote compared to Buderim.Maybe I need to come down there. Work for me isn't too bad I have just posted fliers and put an ad in the scdp to do some mobile work, haven't had many calls as yet. But then not everybody wants their hair cut this week!

It's more work for Lee.We have been told it is not what you know but who you know. We know no Aussie's!
Best bet would be for Lee to go down the local pub/rsl on his own a few times, more people will talk to you if your on your own [rather than with a mate] I found it easy to make conversation and yep it's pretty easy to meet a man who knows another who needs someone to do ............. there's loads of work around building trade wise you just have to travel around a bit more
Sean