Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what is better melbourne or brisbane?

what is better melbourne or brisbane?

Old Apr 9th 2007, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

marke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what is better melbourne or brisbane?

hi folks, i am planning to move to Australia in the coming year, and i have to choose between Brisbane or melblourne. can someone enlighten me as to the advantages and disadvantages of each? or personal experiences of living in either?
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

mercmad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what is better melbourne or brisbane?

Originally Posted by marke
hi folks, i am planning to move to Australia in the coming year, and i have to choose between Brisbane or melblourne. can someone enlighten me as to the advantages and disadvantages of each? or personal experiences of living in either?
Tough choice,you have to RICH ( and jewish)to live anywhere nice in Melbourne,you have to stupid to live in Brisbane,I prefer Auckland myself....
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mercmad
Tough choice,you have to RICH ( and jewish)to live anywhere nice in Melbourne,you have to stupid to live in Brisbane,I prefer Auckland myself....
so I take it you live in Brisbane
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:58 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...risbane+reccie

Hi Marke

Buzzy (Simon) did a reccie a few months back where he compared Brisbane and Melbourne. Worth reviewing his comments, he decided on Melbourne but his decision may not be for the reasons you are looking.

We moved to Melbourne and love it. I have been to Brisbane and have nothing to say against it. But dont go to Auckland its a dump (really) and I lived there for 20+ years.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

mercmad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by curly
so I take it you live in Brisbane
Actually..yes. It's like the Curates egg,Nice in parts.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:24 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Brisbane and wouldnt move to Melbourne if you paid me thanks.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:55 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
I like Brisbane but would not want to live there. Just goes to show how "individuals" need to absorb info and assign against their own criteria and make their own minds up.

Makes me sad that others don't love Melbourne the way I do but I appreciate everyone is different.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

M_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really nice

Start here...so much information on both. You need to research and make your own mind up really

Brisbane
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisbane

Melbourne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne

Good luck
Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mercmad
Tough choice,you have to RICH ( and jewish)to live anywhere nice in Melbourne,
Rubbish!! Depends how close you want to live to the CBD....
Old Apr 9th 2007, 11:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you are trying to get advice on which one is "better" then you are doomed to failure as everyone is different.

The real question is which city suits you better. Have you made the effort to visit both?
Old Apr 10th 2007, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
I live in Melbourne and wouldn't move to Brisbane if you paid me thanks
Old Apr 10th 2007, 12:59 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Teliko21
I live in Melbourne and wouldn't move to Brisbane if you paid me thanks
Ditto

I live in Melbourne, and have done for over 2 great years.

I've visited Brisbane, and IF it had been the place I'd gone to live in the first place, maybe I'd been happy enough, but seeing as I'd come to Melbourne first, I realise that, for us, Melbourne is much better.

Brisbane isn't a patch on Melbourne.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 1:01 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

LOL I was going to say the opposite . Melbourne would have been OK if moving from the UK, but after Brisbane it would be too cold and dark in winter.

Originally Posted by CasG
Ditto

I live in Melbourne, and have done for over 2 great years.

I've visited Brisbane, and IF it had been the place I'd gone to live in the first place, maybe I'd been happy enough, but seeing as I'd come to Melbourne first, I realise that, for us, Melbourne is much better.

Brisbane isn't a patch on Melbourne.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 1:05 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by themerlin
LOL I was going to say the opposite . Melbourne would have been OK if moving from the UK, but after Brisbane it would be too cold and dark in winter.
Lowest daytime temp since I've been here is 10.2C - you don't get many days below 14, and only for a very short time.

For me, Melbourne has so much more to it in the way of culture, buzz etc ....and that's what is important to us.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 1:11 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

10.2C brrrrrrr

But there is more "culture, buzz" in the UK / Europe.

Originally Posted by CasG
Lowest daytime temp since I've been here is 10.2C - you don't get many days below 14, and only for a very short time.

For me, Melbourne has so much more to it in the way of culture, buzz etc ....and that's what is important to us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.