Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is the best way to make regular payments to the UK?

What is the best way to make regular payments to the UK?

Old Apr 18th 2008, 11:03 pm
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light
Default What is the best way to make regular payments to the UK?

Hi,

We are in the very early stages of the immigration process but I am trying to find out as much info as possible about how things are going to work once we are there.

We have a private mortgage arrangement with a family member (i.e they lent the money to us and we pay it back monthly as you would with a normal mortgage, just with a slightly better interest rate). They are happy with this arrangement to continue once we are in Australia but I am not sure how is the best way to arrange repayments. Would it be better to arrange monthly, three montlhy or annual repayments? How would payments be set up and is there any benefit to doing a transfer one way over another? Are there any tax or other implications that I haven't thought of?

Any help would be very much appreciated!
Old Apr 19th 2008, 1:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the best way to make regular payments to the UK?

Originally Posted by LittleKittyCat
Hi,

We are in the very early stages of the immigration process but I am trying to find out as much info as possible about how things are going to work once we are there.

We have a private mortgage arrangement with a family member (i.e they lent the money to us and we pay it back monthly as you would with a normal mortgage, just with a slightly better interest rate). They are happy with this arrangement to continue once we are in Australia but I am not sure how is the best way to arrange repayments. Would it be better to arrange monthly, three montlhy or annual repayments? How would payments be set up and is there any benefit to doing a transfer one way over another? Are there any tax or other implications that I haven't thought of?

Set up an account with www.tranzfers.com
MOve the money to them over the internet from your Aus account, they move it to the UK, then they transfer it into your UK account.

Costs $15/£7 a transfer, takes about 3 days. Very quick and very easy!

Very popular on here too if you do a search :
Old Apr 19th 2008, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

www.moneycorp.com and www.hifx.com both have regular payment schemes for sending money between UK and OZ - various different types eg can agree one exchange rate for the full period of the arrrangement etc
Old Apr 19th 2008, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

Cant you just keep your UK bank account and transfer via the internet banking system the money that you need to each month ?

Stu
Old Apr 19th 2008, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

problem with that is your oz bank will charge you to make the transfer and the UK bank will charge you to receive the money from oz - with the money transfer companies they promise no bank fees
Old Apr 19th 2008, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

Ah didnt know that.

Stu
Old Apr 19th 2008, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

razbolch is just really nicerazbolch is just really nicerazbolch is just really nicerazbolch is just really nicerazbolch is just really nicerazbolch is just really nicerazbolch is just really nicerazbolch is just really nicerazbolch is just really nicerazbolch is just really nice

Originally Posted by LittleKittyCat
Hi,

WWW.HIFX.CO.UK are very good to arrange regular payments and unlike others do not charge you and make sure the recieving bank also does not charge (they refund if this happens) and you get decent exchange rates.