Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What bankdid you use?

What bankdid you use?

Old Oct 15th 2003, 4:39 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

I've been with Commonwealth for about two years now - started from the UK as they were the only bank who'd give us a mortgage (while living in the UK) on a property in Australia. (Yes, we bought before we got the go-ahead to come out here... I know, I know... but it worked - the exchange rate was $2.90+ to the squid!!)

Anyway, my account is in Victoria, and I live in Sydney, and every month I get charged about $25 - $30 in VICTORIAN state taxes.....

Anyway, time to look for a new account, I think. I'll let you know what I find out.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 9:28 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

For any of you currency speculators out there, here's a couple of useful websites.....

http://www.x-rates.com/d/GBP/AUD/graph30.html

http://www.dailyfx.com/
Old Oct 15th 2003, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Anamws is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What bankdid you use?

Originally posted by PeteY
Its a delicate line to walk....

This is PURELY my opinion.

The historic exchange rate for aus dollars to pounds has been about 2 to the pound. In 99 it soared to 2.9 and has been falling since, with little sign of picking up.

THere is no real way of predicting exchange rates, but my feeling is that it will return to somthing near its historic rate. I do hope i am wrong, but that is definatly the way its been heading for some time now.

I am exchanging very soon.....and i will be happy IF i manage to get 2.5 (which is doubtful).
Same here, but then decided to settle for 2.4403 with moneycorp as did not want to take the risk of losing more.
Old Oct 18th 2003, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

welshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to all

We opened an account with Westpac/Challenge the week we arrived. And then got our money transferred over from First Direct - cost about £50 to transfer over £38,000 - but we did a couple of transfers as we brought a bit over at a time. Then Westpac charged us $8.00 commission each time we transferred money into the account.

After 4 months here we have finally sussed just how much they charge us for every thing. So now that we have jobs we got a credit card and pay for nearly everything on that and then pay it off in full when the bill comes in, with the money from our bank account. So we only have one transaction instead of 30, seeing as they charge you each time you take money out, be it ATM, or EFTPOS (and we had the first 25 transactions free), or BPAY.