Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What to ask for ?

What to ask for ?

Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:47 am
Just Joined

HFamily will become famous soon enough
Default What to ask for ?

Good news one step closer, to dream move.

I am in some negotiations with a company who may be willing to sponser my visa.

Without stating the obvious, huge salary !!, can you suggest the things i should ask for as part of the package from experiences you have had.

What are some packages others have been offered ?

I do not want to ask for the world, but i want to cover as much as possible, and not get caught out.

These are some which i have thought of
  • Salary xxx
  • Car
  • Super Annunation
  • Private Medical Care
  • Flights and relocation for the whole family.
  • ?
  • ?

Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:55 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to ask for ?

Originally Posted by HFamily
Good news one step closer, to dream move.

I am in some negotiations with a company who may be willing to sponser my visa.

Without stating the obvious, huge salary !!, can you suggest the things i should ask for as part of the package from experiences you have had.

What are some packages others have been offered ?

I do not want to ask for the world, but i want to cover as much as possible, and not get caught out.

These are some which i have thought of
  • Salary xxx
  • Car
  • Super Annunation
  • Private Medical Care
  • Flights and relocation for the whole family.
  • ?
  • ?

*Flight back to the UK for you and family, once/twice a year [try to get business class if possible]
*Relocation fees/shipping fees once your contract in Oz is over
*Shipping fees paid for when you make the move to Oz
*Hotel accommodation fees to be paid for when you arrive in Oz and looking for somewhere to live
*Yearly annual salary bonus
* Is your spouse giving up her career? if so, try and get a spouse allowance, I know BP do it when they relocate their staff. One woman I know in these circumstances got at least 2500 pounds per year when they relocated to China from the UK, its not much, but it all adds up.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:12 am
Just Joined

HFamily will become famous soon enough

Thank you for this.

Can you ask for flight back to the uk ?
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:21 am
C&R

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HFamily
Thank you for this.

Can you ask for flight back to the uk ?
Yes, you should ask for this. Flights back once or twice a year for you and your family, business class seats if possible.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:33 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

you need to state if it is a 457 temp visa or another type of employer nominated perm visa. This will make a difference on what might be reasonable requests. I cannot see return flights being offered if you are being sponsored for a perm visa but could see relocation costs for paying to sell and buy a family home being reasonable. If a temp visa you need to think about LAFHA and the arrangements for your home in the UK. Depending on State and visa type you may need to include children and school fee costs in your LAFHA.

What might fall into the either / or category
One way flights and first six weeks accommodation
Cars are seldom part of package - you may get novated lease agreement as part of salary packaging for tax benefit. Check company policy out
Private Medical - usually depends on level in company and usually for multinationals not Aus companies.
All costs of relocation of house contents. Try and get shipping as part of business move, sometimes quicker and better service. Also demand costs for a 40ft container and bring the heap . Ensure the costs are covered for all parts of the shipping including customs and excise costs here and potential AQIS fees for cleaning or destroying.
Compulsory Super employer contribution is 9% - only usually rises after certain grades in company. Check out whether this is part of quoted salary amount or not.
Full coverage of all visa and associated medical costs.

Another way of doing things is to request a lump sum based on quotes for the above items and then spend the money in the areas that fit your family circumstances, eg get $25K as an operating balance for relocation and claim against this for business class flights if not bringing a 40ft container.

Alot of your requirements will be based on your personal family needs of course but as a ball park I see average figures of $25 - $50K being spent on relocation for company moves depnding on grade of employee. The bigger fish gets the bigger package of course.

Also watch the tie in period for either visa, I think mine was two years and whole lot paid back and 25% up to three years. what we saved by having the company pay we put in the bank account until the time period had past. As it was I left after just under 3 years and had a nice boss who didn't push the payback thingy but it might not have been so good.

I was a sponsored 457 5 years ago and managed a package of $25K but we had our own perm application in and didn't want an ENS type visa.

Good luck and enjoy the rollercoaster
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:35 am
C&R

Originally Posted by C&R
Yes, you should ask for this. Flights back once or twice a year for you and your family, business class seats if possible.
I forgot school fees to be paid also, should you have kids.