Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what appliances work???

what appliances work???

Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

bugginmad2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what appliances work???

Hey, i am moving to oz and want to ship my household items over to, will my uk products work in oz with a plug adaptor or is it totally different???? i have a hoover washine machine tv and a few tools etc!!! any help appreciated!!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: what appliances work???

I haven't found anything that don't work yet and we bought everything.

Bring UK trailing leads for items that can't be changed over, like computer transformers fro speakers etc.
All other items you can change the plugs over for.
You may need a set top box to get tele working but they all vary.

2 of ours work without but the newest one needed a box.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:32 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenix
I haven't found anything that don't work yet and we bought everything.

Bring UK trailing leads for items that can't be changed over, like computer transformers fro speakers etc.
All other items you can change the plugs over for.
You may need a set top box to get tele working but they all vary.

2 of ours work without but the newest one needed a box.
Hint - take a a few 4-plug extension cords with you, saves a lot on changing plugs over and the UK-Aus conversion plugs. Make sure they are properly fused, or you risk setting your house on fire!
NJ
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:42 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

On a 2nd thought - TV cable/satellite boxes would almost certainly work - most TVs are fairly universal these days, but aerial may not be compatible. DVD players may be a pain in the arse due to region coding - that is if you did not get a region free (ahem) patch Conversely, European DVDs may not play in the Ozzie players if these were not region-free'd.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

I find its best to bring a uk dvd player if you are bringing any of your dvd collection with you or may be sent uk ones as gifts.
We also have an aussie one to play rentals or new ones purchased here.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

bugginmad2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

awesome thanx for the advice guys!!!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

nickyblonde is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone taken telephones (as in house phone, not mobile) over and do they work ? I'm assuming that its the same connection in OZ as in the UK, but just want to make sure before shipping then to the other side of the world.

Thanks
Nicky
Old Jan 14th 2008, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Tamworth U.K.- Brisbane Very Soon Now Visa Granted!!
Graff will become famous soon enough

Here is a great site I managed to find via a google search, answers many questions. http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/faq.php
Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newjersey
On a 2nd thought - TV cable/satellite boxes would almost certainly work - most TVs are fairly universal these days, but aerial may not be compatible. DVD players may be a pain in the arse due to region coding - that is if you did not get a region free (ahem) patch Conversely, European DVDs may not play in the Ozzie players if these were not region-free'd.
UK cable/satellite tv boxes will not work in Australia. Modern TV's will work [just retune them and change the sound setting - B/G I think ?]. Older TV's may need a cheap set-top box as the TV won't be able to decode the sound without one. The aerial sockets are the same though.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyblonde
Has anyone taken telephones (as in house phone, not mobile) over and do they work ? I'm assuming that its the same connection in OZ as in the UK, but just want to make sure before shipping then to the other side of the world.

Thanks
Nicky
Aye was just wondering that myself?
Old Feb 10th 2008, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

farrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nickyblonde

Thanks
Nicky
we just bought a new cable for ours and it works fine, they have the real small plug bits here like you have on the pc.