Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What age is Year 6 in schools

What age is Year 6 in schools

Old Aug 29th 2007, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

paulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nice
Default What age is Year 6 in schools

Just a quickie, can someone advise me what age the kids are in Australian schools at Year 6. Thankyou
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What age is Year 6 in schools

Originally Posted by paulainspain
Just a quickie, can someone advise me what age the kids are in Australian schools at Year 6. Thankyou
11 & 12, daughter was in year 6 in UK, came here in March & she was put in year 6 over here.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

paulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nice

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
11 & 12, daughter was in year 6 in UK, came here in March & she was put in year 6 over here.
Thanks for that,
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:23 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

I think it can vary depending on which state - in Queensland you would be 10 or 11 in year 6 e.g

DOB
01/01/97 - 31/12/97 Year 5
01/01/96 - 31/12/96 Year 6
01/01/95 - 31/12/95 Year 7
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

My daughter is in year 6 and most of the children are 10 or 11 (i.e. they turn 11 in year 6), but there are a few who are turning 12. We are in Qld, so it may depend which state you are in.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:32 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

You may need to check out each state education website for the state you are going to, in case they differ between states. Also private schools may have different entry criteria for classes.

I know NSW with my two kids and we had a degree of flexibility in different directions.

http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/gotosc...tingschool.php

based on the entry criteria here you could enter K in January this year at 4 turning 5 in May 2007
Year 1 2008 = May Birth day turns 6
Year 2 2009 = May Birth day turns 7
Year 3 2010 = May Birth day turns 8
Year 4 2011 = May Birth day turns 9
Year 5 2012 = May Birth day turns 10
Year 6 2013 = May Birth day turns 11
Year 7 2014 = May Birth day turns 12
Year 8 2015 = May Birth day turns 13
Year 9 2016 = May Birth day turns 14
Year 10 2017 = May Birth day turns 15
Year 11 2018 = May Birth day turns 16
Year 12 2019 = May Birth day turns 17

This is how it was for my son but he is one of the youngest in his year. My daughter went back a year and is average age for her school year but will be a whole year older than my son when she finishes year 12.

Check out with the indivdual school for precise details.

Have fun
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

We are heading for Qld, my eldest DOB is 13/09/1997. By the looks of things he would be in Year 5 from January.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:37 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

We are heading for Qld, my eldest DOB is 13/09/1997. By the looks of things he would be in Year 5 from January.
He will be in year 6 in January - my dates are for this school year - my daughter DOB is 23/10/98 and she is currently year 4 - year 5 in Jan
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
He will be in year 6 in January - my dates are for this school year - my daughter DOB is 23/10/98 and she is currently year 4 - year 5 in Jan
Thanks for that. He has a place at Ormiston College and wanted to make sure he was starting at the right time, if we decide to take the place that is!
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:53 pm
Just enjoying being here

It looks like a good school - we've enrolled our eldest into year 6 in 2009 - no places until then. We went to the open day and there seem to be a few Brits in each class.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
It looks like a good school - we've enrolled our eldest into year 6 in 2009 - no places until then. We went to the open day and there seem to be a few Brits in each class.
We havent visited the school yet but have had good communcations with them, our youngest cannot start until 2010 so its obviously a popular choice. Cant wait to come over, only 6 more weeks to go.