What 4x4 ?

Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

John Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really nice
Default What 4x4 ?

Can anyone give me some advice on a good vehicle please. All i hear is Toyota Toyota Toyota.
I really want a 4x4, dual cab, turbo diesel utility but am no expert with the pro's and con's of each make.
If anyone can suggest a good place to look in the Perth area it would make my life easier too.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What 4x4 ?

Got to say that as someone who has done a lot of off road all around the world, you cant beat the toyota land cruiser
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

There is a reason why all you hear is Toyota Toyota Toyota.

Toyota Hilux Turbo Diesel 4x4 Dual Cab would be the way to go. They are a bit more expensive initially but they hold their value and are an excellent off road vehicle.

I have some farmer friends who always had Toyota Hilux's. Three of them went away from the Hilux, one got a Ford Courier, one got a Holden rodeo and the other got a Mazda Bravo. Upon changing their vehicles 3 years later, they all went back to the Hilux.

I have had my single cab Hilux ute for the past 7 years and it has never missed a beat (Touch wood). The vehicle is now 10 years old. I drop the engine oil every 5000 kms. I just changed the gearbox, transmission and diff oils for the first time. I have 190,000 kms on the clock.

Barney
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

John Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really nice

Originally Posted by POW148
There is a reason why all you hear is Toyota Toyota Toyota.

Toyota Hilux Turbo Diesel 4x4 Dual Cab would be the way to go. They are a bit more expensive initially but they hold their value and are an excellent off road vehicle.

I have some farmer friends who always had Toyota Hilux's. Three of them went away from the Hilux, one got a Ford Courier, one got a Holden rodeo and the other got a Mazda Bravo. Upon changing their vehicles 3 years later, they all went back to the Hilux.

I have had my single cab Hilux ute for the past 7 years and it has never missed a beat (Touch wood). The vehicle is now 10 years old. I drop the engine oil every 5000 kms. I just changed the gearbox, transmission and diff oils for the first time. I have 190,000 kms on the clock.

Barney
Cheers for that, i am looking at a Hilux tomorrow. A 3.0 litre diesel non turbo with 220 000 kms on the clock. Looks tidy, just a lot on the clock. I have been told they run forever as long as you look after them.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Toyota - Just ask anyone.

Before we bought our TOYOTA camper (330,000 kms and just run in) we went to the back packer market in Sydney and the word was Toyota. Not only because they go for ever, but because if your going to go out back, there's usually a mechanic who knows Toyota and can get parts to get you back on the road (if the worst ever happens).

Where you going to get parts for that Sanyong or some other strange import out in the bush?
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:56 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I wouldnt say a Hilux and instead a Mazda BT-50. Better towing capacity, better off road ability and more refinement cabin wise for your money.

Have the manual 3.0D version and its a stonking engine, looks awesome and its very competitive price wise. And ute of the year for good reason. They put it up against Hilux, Navara etc and took them all into the outback to thrash the crap out of them. It came out tops for build quality.

Certainly worth a test drive against a hilux.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Swing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura aboutSwing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura aboutSwing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura about

I've got one of these

http://www.nissan.com.au/navaradual07/

It won 4x4 of the year in 2006 and with the diesel I get 35mpg + most of the time. Best car/ute I've ever had.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Not a ute I know but we got a new Toyota Prado at Christmas and it is perfect on and off road
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

We are looking at the sangyong rexton 2. We don't plan on doing much off road driving so are not too concerned there (Well maybe OH has a few notions!!!). Anyone got any experience of them?
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 12:52 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swing-Your-Pants
I've got one of these

http://www.nissan.com.au/navaradual07/

It won 4x4 of the year in 2006 and with the diesel I get 35mpg + most of the time. Best car/ute I've ever had.
Only one thing with these (or some) was the Euro NCAP results.

http://www.euroncap.com/Content-Web-...ar-rating.aspx

35mpg? Do you mean L/100km? Ive been here years and still have to convert to mpg to determine whether good or not!
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 12:58 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby's got the Mazda Bravo and really likes it. To be honest what he really likes is the fact it only cost him $5k and it's in brilliant nick but it goes well and pulls the boat a treat.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 1:06 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

My son is keeping his lease car, when the lease expires, and giving it to me.

It is a Nissan patrol........may or not be the best but the price is right

G
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

viksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant future

well when we do sand duning in dubai (basically off road driving on mountains of sand) we usually use a toyota land cruiser, but if your loaded (and perhaps a drug dealer) you could use a hummer, dont know what the TAX and repair bills will be like but the MPG would rarely hit 10 on a hummer.

Other 4x4 i would recommend are:

Honda CRV - Reliable, decent Milage and pretty affordable
BMW X5 - good of road, (pretty expensive though)
Land rover discovery 3 or freelander 2 - specialty in making 4x4 vehicles, pretty affordable, good milage
VW toureg - reliable, good off road, questionable price though

Hope this helps
Vik
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Don't get a Shogun, hubbie has one and hates it probably due to the fact he gets under 20 miles per gallon of deisel, no-one told him it was thirsty before he got it.

I drive a Landcruiser which is as comfortable as a car and economical.

Good Luck
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

inOz2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone comment on 4x4 from a slightly different perspective:

Being tall, I find crouching down into a saloon/hatchback type car a hassle - so for me BIG is good!! I fancy a bigger car than what I drive here (VW Golf 5sp auto Petrol!) and am interested in a "4x4" but my needs are for shovelling extended family and friends in for a drive around (they keep threatening to visit now that we've announced we are going!), transporting my golf gear from home to golf course(s) and back, some camping/off-road trips every now and then, maybe pulling a boat in the future etc.

As much as I like the BMW X5 and Range Rover, I cannot afford these Chelsea tractors here in the UK so certainly cannot afford of them there either - that said, I am looking for an affordable (buying, spares, service/MOT etc), reliable, "economical" 4x4 - the marque brand/image means little to me.

So can anyone comment on which one (new or older models) would be suitable from this perspective?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.