Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What`s the matter Grub?

What`s the matter Grub?

Old May 1st 2003, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

wolfens_wife is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought it was really nice of grub to post the piccy of her house. Wow !!! look how much further your money goes over in Oz!!!
We all read the posts from Grub when she was trying so hard and waited so long for her visa and it was still touch and go right up to the last minute!!!
I dont think its look what Ive got.... its more like "look what you can get if you dont give up waiting for your visa!!"

GOOD LUCK TO YA GRUB!!! ITS GREAT TO SEE THAT YOUR SO HAPPY!! NOT LONG FOR THE NEW BABY EITHER!!!

(Hey Baldbuts.... now we know where your moving in .... the double garage looks really nice!!!)
Old May 1st 2003, 8:59 am
happy bunny!!

teresa.c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PB what are your standards for living accomodation

PB, What are your standards/requirements for housing then?whats your house like now in terms of size and facilities, and what are you looking at getting when you get back here?
Old May 1st 2003, 9:03 am
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What`s the matter Grub?

Originally posted by Rosy
"Quality"? sorry to disappoint you here, but the quality of houses over here is abysmal compared to the UK. Yes, we can all say we`ve got a huge house, pool, fantastically large garden here, but the QUALITY of the workmanship is appaulling.

Size isn`t everything, as I`ve learnt just recently!!!
Hmmm - My 8 year old house here in Essex isn't built to the best standard either. I have however noticed a couple of right-angles during my DIY. More and more TV programmes are cropping up about house build quality. As the need to build more houses, more quickly increases so the quality decreases. Me thinks there's a dodgy builder in most countries - we just happen to have Wimpey. Allegedly!
Old May 1st 2003, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

It is amazing that a picture of a house has caused so much fuss.Firstly i am glad Grub posted the picture,it shows her dream and she is living it and i am sure if things aren`t going well for her she would be the first to let us know.

Secondly if it is that bad over there then leave as i see PB intends to do. To PB hope you find your dream house for 120 grand most people end up mortgaged to the hilt for their dream homes.

footie chick
Old May 1st 2003, 12:04 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

House quality seems to be a Brit thing, like the owner is building the foundations of a dynasty, like its a hand me down notion from an era when families tended to stay in the family home for generations.

Aussie houses are built to last about a life time then be bulldozed. After ~50-100 years the land price has risen to such an extend (due to population increase), building techniques and styles have changed so dramatically and the house has depreciated so fully that lots of Aussie houses are then ripe for the dozer.

Its partly drived by population growth, UK has been growing more slowly than Aus. Its partly due to interest rates and inflation. Money has been cheaper in UK than Aus for a long time making it more economically sensible to spend more for a more durable house in the UK.
Old May 1st 2003, 12:44 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I am amazed that you think you will get a decent house over here for that money. Your in for a bit of a shock if you sincerely do...

If you are spending less than 100k anywhere in the uk its either tiny, in an industrial estate, or in the middle of nowhere.

I live in kent where the prices are amazing. You can't buy where i live for less than 100k. My wife and i looked at buying about 2 years ago and we found that we would need to spend AT THE VERY LEAST 140k, and if we could'nt afford to do that we would need to move a good 30 miles down into the country.

Country homes ar'nt cheap either. A mate just bought a house in South Wales, which is known as a bit of a cheap area for houses. A 2 bed cottage on the outskirts of a smallish town cost him 180 thousand.

And about the picture........whats wrong with someone posting it? You don't need to read any of these threads...let alone complain about them.
Old May 1st 2003, 2:44 pm
Nutty Nurse

LondonNurse will become famous soon enoughLondonNurse will become famous soon enough

I dont usually post a lot on these threads but i've been following them for about 6 months. Partly because I've not yet applied for my visa and partly because some ppl tend to rip to shreads other peoples posts...

I like reading Grubs posts because it gives me an insight in what I could buy in Oz compared to here in the UK. I don't think Gurb was gloating but she was just trying to show the forum an example of what you can buy for your money.

Also, some ppl have been quite rude and cruel on this forum and I think we should try and support people and not knock them down at any opportunity.

PB - where are you planning to live? The property market in the UK has gone mad this last year or 2 but is slowing down now but prices arnt falling that much at the moment.

My parents live on the outskirts of Coventry and a 3 bed semi detached house in a very average area is going for £160,000 and the house has a tiny back garden and is a good way from the supermarkets.

Also, if you go any further south of Coventry, eg South Warwickshire, Northamptonshire,Oxfordshire you're looking at even more money to live in a piddly house.
Old May 1st 2003, 2:57 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by pommie bastard
If that was her intent shes failed I am sorry to say , most of us who live here know what a quality home looks like and if I was her I would have not bothered trying to impress with such a poor house in a less than an average suburb.
For 120K GBP I could find a far better home in some parts of the UK , and knowing Padbury I would take a terrace house in any part of the UK rather than live there again , once was enough.
Did make the lads smile at work , no wonder they look down at us Poms .

Did you say you had lived in Padbury PB? well Grub has only been in Perth a few months maybe she too will think as you do in a few more months. Maybe she wont be as blinkered as you seem to be. Can I just ask why you are going back to the UK? If you find it tough here dont make it tough for others that have just arrived. You cant stick it here but there are plenty who do. I thought this was a site to share experiences of moving to Oz, not to act like school children and knock at peoples dreams. What is someones dream is not always your dream.
Old May 1st 2003, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Seen all I need to know on the internet I did say some areas did I not, we will move south of the West Midlands already seen quiet a few we could buy.
Got to go the OB , by the way to get a good area of Perth and a quality home try $750k thats nowhere top price best go for between $2 million and $25 million.

Hah Hah.... seen it on the internet have you ...been DREAMING of your well built dream home. have you, seen a bargain in some area you know nothing about. Hah Hah what a DREAMER you are in for a shock if you think £120.000 will buy you quality in a good area. you are displaying all the traits of the so called dreamers who you so kindly tear to bits on this forum.
your just a big fat hypocrit
You are in for one hell of a suprise when you start house hunting over here.
here in cheshire in the so called GOLDEN TRIANGLE, 3 Bed Semi £245.00.... headlines in local paper
"crack fuelled crime epidemic" also in same edition "street cruisers causing widespread chaos" yes wheelspinning and racing is here too.
I beleive you thought Cheshire to be a good area in a previous post PB.
You cant convince anybody that Oz is any worse than UK, but I am not going to brainwash you like you are trying to do,
You will soon find out for yourself
Roll on AUGUST
Old May 1st 2003, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Rosy
I`m a bit curious as to why you feel the need to show the pictures of your house on here. Is it a case of "look what I`ve got"? If not, then what?

Rosy,this is just bullying pure and simple, get a life and stop critisizing other people. I for one thought it was nice of grub to share the pic of her new home and I'm sure that it's inspiring many others who are still waiting for their visas.
Old May 1st 2003, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

LouiseB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Stoney
Hah Hah.... seen it on the internet have you ...been DREAMING of your well built dream home. have you, seen a bargain in some area you know nothing about. Hah Hah what a DREAMER you are in for a shock if you think £120.000 will buy you quality in a good area. you are displaying all the traits of the so called dreamers who you so kindly tear to bits on this forum.
your just a big fat hypocrit
You are in for one hell of a suprise when you start house hunting over here.
here in cheshire in the so called GOLDEN TRIANGLE, 3 Bed Semi £245.00.... headlines in local paper
"crack fuelled crime epidemic" also in same edition "street cruisers causing widespread chaos" yes wheelspinning and racing is here too.
I beleive you thought Cheshire to be a good area in a previous post PB.
You cant convince anybody that Oz is any worse than UK, but I am not going to brainwash you like you are trying to do,
You will soon find out for yourself
Roll on AUGUST

Oh blow off you loud mouth. You're turning into just as much of a troll as PB is....
Old May 1st 2003, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by LouiseB
Oh blow off you loud mouth. You're turning into just as much of a troll as PB is....

What so YOU telling me I dont have the right to reply to NEGATIVE OZ posts with NEGATIVE UK posts.
YOUR A NAZI
I HAVE RIGHTS TO, YOU LOUD MOUTH HYPOCRIT
Why blow of at me why not blow off at PB aswell
Because you know he will tear you apart you coward
or do you only want to hear one side of the argument
You make me laugh.
As often heard on this forum
Opinions are like ar$£ holes "we all have them"
we have more than our fare share on this forum though.
Old May 1st 2003, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

LouiseB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Stoney
What so YOU telling me I dont have the right to reply to NEGATIVE OZ posts with NEGATIVE UK posts.
YOUR A NAZI
I HAVE RIGHTS TO, YOU LOUD MOUTH HYPOCRIT
Why blow of at me why not blow off at PB aswell
Because you know he will tear you apart you coward
or do you only want to hear one side of the argument
You make me laugh.
As often heard on this forum
Opinions are like ar$£ holes "we all have them"
we have more than our fare share on this forum though.

If you accuse other people who express views you disagree with, of being trolls, don't be surprised if you are accused of being a troll too....
Old May 1st 2003, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by LouiseB
If you accuse other people who express views you disagree with, of being trolls, don't be surprised if you are accused of being a troll too....
PB accuses people who express views as DREAMERS
I haven't seen you on here leaping to THEIR defence
I dont think I mentioned TROLL in that post if you care to read it properly.
I was just trying to BALANCE PB'S Bitter ranting with my own
If you want balanced arguments then I would just keep to reading the posts and forget your unbalanced attacks.
Old May 1st 2003, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Ianha77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems to me PB has done a good job of winding everyone up on here. He's probably sat at home pissing himself at the chaos he has caused. If grub wants to post a pic of her house so what? She is obviously happy and wants to share it with everyone. If you don't like it don't reply ! I don't agree with what PB said but i don't really care. What is the point of replying??
If people can get so wound up on a forum what is it gonna be like if you finish up living next door to the equivelant of pb in Aus?
I am within a couple of weeks of getting my visa and won't be getting wound up by anyone. Looking forward with excitment to my new life, Bad workmanship or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.