Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whales - best place july/aug

Whales - best place july/aug

Old Jul 9th 2011, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

ebyron is on a distinguished road
Default Whales - best place july/aug

ok, so where do you think is the best place to see whales in Australia?

We are based in VIC, have been to Warrnambool and stood in the wind and rain, very cool ... but thought would look in to other options?

Would need to be able to see them from the coast line if possible, (oh and a few flips etc would be great too :r ofl:

happy to look in to flying somewhere for a long weekend - seeing whales close up-ish is definitely on my bucket list .... so ... what are your best places/ experiences
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:01 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Whales - best place july/aug

Originally Posted by ebyron
ok, so where do you think is the best place to see whales in Australia?

We are based in VIC, have been to Warrnambool and stood in the wind and rain, very cool ... but thought would look in to other options?

Would need to be able to see them from the coast line if possible, (oh and a few flips etc would be great too :r ofl:

happy to look in to flying somewhere for a long weekend - seeing whales close up-ish is definitely on my bucket list .... so ... what are your best places/ experiences
The Illawarra. From Eden up to the Shoalhaven.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Boat trips from Perth and Fremantle, occasionally you can see whales from the beach. Other great spots are around Augusta, south west corner and Albany, south coast WA and north to Kalbarri and Exmouth http://www.westernaustralia.com/en/T..._Watching.aspx.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

I used to watch them from north head in Sydney sometimes they would come in quite close and you often see them breaching.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

JAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really nice

You can sometimes see them off Point Lookout on North Stradbroke (Straddie) island - QLD - you have to get a ferry over to the island though.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 11:27 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Hervey Bay... The most magical experience of my life to day... Spent a day on a boat whale watching in July 2007....

the boat trip was fairly inexpensive if my memory serves me correctly and worth the cost of a flight anytime!
Old Jul 9th 2011, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alipally
Hervey Bay... The most magical experience of my life to day... Spent a day on a boat whale watching in July 2007....

the boat trip was fairly inexpensive if my memory serves me correctly and worth the cost of a flight anytime!
This. We did it in September 2009 and it was fantastic.

My Youtube video

We went off Sydney a couple of weekends ago. It was OK, we saw a couple of whales and stuck with them for a couple of hours.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 11:55 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Every weekend in Moreton Bay, Brisbane at the moment. I teach tech diving from one of the large boats and all through the weekend they are popping up all over the place at the moment.

Underneath the water, the whale song in the Bay is just incredible.

This is an unaffiliated link to a specific operator out of the same harbor as us. They have a good rep.

http://www.brisbanewhalewatching.com.au/location.html
Old Jul 9th 2011, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

ebyron is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Whales - best place july/aug

oooo liking the look of Hervey Bay at the moment - listed as one of the best places apparently ... plus a bit of sunshine and the chance to experience fraser island ....
Old Jul 9th 2011, 12:46 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Boat trip off the Gold Coast.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 2:01 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

It's the time of year when most Mexican whales are found on the beach at Palm Cove or farther North at Port Douglas.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.australia.com/articles/na...ewatching.aspx
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno, but this was in my mailbox this morning http://livingsocial.com/deals/47716-..._384_7228email Got to love those living social deals
Old Jul 9th 2011, 10:17 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Late August I was sailing in the whitsundays and a pod a whales decided to play around the yacht, swimming under and around for a good hour. The islands shield the waters from the ocean waves so it won't be as rough as further south.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

I am going to go really soon probably with Australia Zoo.

I was sitting on Maroubra beach one morning in Sydney and had the most amazing show - it was like a personal whale excursion. absolutely unreal!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.