Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We've gotta get outta this place - won't be dead before my time is due

Wikiposts

We've gotta get outta this place - won't be dead before my time is due

Old Feb 16th 2004, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We've gotta get outta this place - won't be dead before my time is due

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Not really relieved but there is of course some quite tangible excitement in the air at home at the thought of travelling back to Europe. Funny how you miss things you don't give a second thought to - not talking homesickness here of course but it'll be good to see the old things again.

NZ - still a great option.
Keeping a foot in both camps? Not fully 100% committed yet to NZ I take it, keeping options open?
Old Feb 16th 2004, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

moose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confused!!!

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Thanks Dottmeister, I'm revving up for a small property development job back in Europe as soon as winter passes. And I do mean small, getting the dozers in to level a patch of ground in a very good little spot (south facing, 30 minutes from town, new expressway getting built) then I'm going to landscape it, should keep me busy.
Hi Don, I've just logged on to find you are leaving NZ.Is this a permanent departure or just a break? If permanent, what changed your minds about NZ.We are hoping to end up in Dunedin what are your views on this town as opposed to the other areas you have visited there?
If this is a permanent move your valued and subjective opinions will be soreley missed on this site, we could always depend on you to give a fair and honest unbiased opinion on all matters Kiwi.
Moose
Old Feb 16th 2004, 10:10 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Have a good trip Don, Mrs Don and chimps.

My favourite spot in Thailand is an island called Koh Chang off the coast in the North (if you see what I mean) - very relaxed - great for kids - like Koh Samui and the rest used to be before tourism got in the way.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 12:14 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused!!!

Originally posted by moose
Hi Don, I've just logged on to find you are leaving NZ.Is this a permanent departure or just a break? If permanent, what changed your minds about NZ.We are hoping to end up in Dunedin what are your views on this town as opposed to the other areas you have visited there?
If this is a permanent move your valued and subjective opinions will be soreley missed on this site, we could always depend on you to give a fair and honest unbiased opinion on all matters Kiwi.
Moose
Moose,

Drop us a line if you have any specific questions on life in Dunedin. We have been here 4 months now.

I'll let Don give the run down on Dunedin vs other parts (as you say he is unsurpassed for unbiased and well explained opinions). Me, I'm a bit more parochial...

"Well I'm Southern Bred, and I'm good in bed
Got the South in my blood, and I'll be here 'til I'm damned well dead"
[OK - my chorus is not quite the original]

Regards
Old Feb 17th 2004, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Moose

Where in Liverpool do you live Moose.....
Old Feb 17th 2004, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road

Do you think you'll ever live in NZ again Don, or wasn't it your cup of tea in the end? What would bring you back here if it's not what you're looking for now?? Just curious - if we come back after our jaunt in the UK we thought Dunedin would be a goer,
Old Feb 17th 2004, 6:20 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Au reviour Don, sure you'll be back on soon
H x
Old Feb 17th 2004, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by jeannie
Where in Liverpool do you live Moose.....
We live in the very south of the city not far from liverpool airport, a place called Halewood.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by southerner
Moose,

Drop us a line if you have any specific questions on life in Dunedin. We have been here 4 months now.

I'll let Don give the run down on Dunedin vs other parts (as you say he is unsurpassed for unbiased and well explained opinions). Me, I'm a bit more parochial...

"Well I'm Southern Bred, and I'm good in bed
Got the South in my blood, and I'll be here 'til I'm damned well dead"
[OK - my chorus is not quite the original]

Regards
Hi southerner, nice of you to offer information like that. As soon as we can think of specific questions I'll get right back to you. Actually got an e-mail this morning from an agency based in Dunedin, Clarke Consulting, I met the owner Bob Clarke at the xpo in London in Oct. nice bloke.Anyway I'm to expect a phone call from a company called McArthur&Symons tonight regarding electrical work.I'm not sure if he has the right info about me though as he said they were particularly interested in my PLC experience. Although I do process control wiring, which means I know how PLC's work and can connect them up, I don't do the software side of things,so this could be a very short conversation .I'll let you know how that goes.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 9:05 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, thanks for the kind thoughts.

We haven't decided against NZ - far from it, NZ remains a great option for us. To be more upfront, it is (as it always has been) one option amongst several, but is still perfectly viable.

We have some unfinished business in Europe and we always planned to get at least 3 summers in a row and hopefully still manage to get the IRRV.

Dunedin - I like it a lot there. Some don't like the climate but it's just similar to good parts of the UK such as the South West (a bit warmer, I think a little damper) so very pleasant. Just not subtropical or Mediterranean. Lots of good bits such as the city, the university, the people, the affordable housing, the wildlife, the sports opps - just a bit isolated.

Only significant downside I see to NZ is salary levels. We could get round that by not being salarymen but business people.

All the best - gotta catch a plane in a couple of hours...
Old Feb 18th 2004, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

We live in the very south of the city not far from liverpool airport, a place called Halewood.

I used to live near Old Swan........:scared: :scared:
Old Feb 18th 2004, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi southerner, nice of you to offer information like that. As soon as we can think of specific questions I'll get right back to you. Actually got an e-mail this morning from an agency based in Dunedin, Clarke Consulting, I met the owner Bob Clarke at the xpo in London in Oct. nice bloke.Anyway I'm to expect a phone call from a company called McArthur&Symons tonight regarding electrical work.I'm not sure if he has the right info about me though as he said they were particularly interested in my PLC experience. Although I do process control wiring, which means I know how PLC's work and can connect them up, I don't do the software side of things,so this could be a very short conversation .I'll let you know how that goes.

Judging by all that education your not from a family, where things dropped off the back of Truck....... "Oh"sorry that was my family.....
Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Judging by all that education your not from a family, where things dropped off the back of Truck....... "Oh"sorry that was my family.....
I don't know about that ,our house is full of broken appliances etc. Forgot to mention I'm originally from Speke, home of the original "slant" back lorry!!
Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

I used to live near Old Swan........:scared: :scared:
Forgot to mention, Iwent to college in Old Swan for three years, most of my days spent in The Red House ,The Cygnet, and the Old Swan.Qualified in beer guzzling and falling asleep during general studies lessons.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 10:59 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Forgot to mention, Iwent to college in Old Swan for three years, most of my days spent in The Red House ,The Cygnet, and the Old Swan.Qualified in beer guzzling and falling asleep during general studies lessons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.