Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Westpac & forex query

Westpac & forex query

Old Aug 18th 2007, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light
Default Westpac & forex query

Hi all you bank experts.

I'm feeling quite pleased with myself as Ive managed to open a transaction account and a savings account with Westpac, on the phone.

I've also managed to book some dollars at 2.5, although I can't sort out the blasted authentication paperwork so far.

My question is, can I pay the dollars straight into the Maxipac savings account, or does it have to go into the transaction account and sit there for weeks at low interest until I get there to sort it out?

Also, can anyone suggest how I get round the fact that my online uk bank account doesn't have my name on the statement. The forex company need a statement with my name on it. Q
Old Aug 18th 2007, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

nicopa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Westpac & forex query

Originally Posted by quercus

Hi all you bank experts.

I'm feeling quite pleased with myself as Ive managed to open a transaction account and a savings account with Westpac, on the phone.

I've also managed to book some dollars at 2.5, although I can't sort out the blasted authentication paperwork so far.

My question is, can I pay the dollars straight into the Maxipac savings account, or does it have to go into the transaction account and sit there for weeks at low interest until I get there to sort it out?

Also, can anyone suggest how I get round the fact that my online uk bank account doesn't have my name on the statement. The forex company need a statement with my name on it. Q
You have to prove you are not a money launderer to the forex company. You will have ask your UK bank to send you a paper statement with your name on it.
You can pay straight into your Maxipac savings account if you want.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

you can get the money paid straight into your savings account but you can't access the money nor move it around until you arrive in Oz and validate the account.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

Hi all you bank experts.

I think it says on the website that if your statement doesn't have your name or address on it, then you can also send a utility bill
Old Aug 19th 2007, 11:26 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, you can pay the dollars straight into the Max-i-Direct account.

If you look at your Westpac accounts online or at the "bumpf" they sent you, you'll see that the two accounts have different BSB numbers and differrent account numbers.

When you give your forex company the payment instructions, you give them the BSB and account numbers for the Max-i-Direct account and it'll go into that one.

Can't help with your other query. We have a paperless internet account, but once a year we get a paper statement with details of the interest earned. I used that to proof that it was our account.

Can't you ask the bank to send you a letter confirming that it's your account?

Gina
Old Aug 19th 2007, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks to Nicopa, Ohippy, Olias and Gina for the advice.

That's good news about paying into the Maxi account. They did tell me I can't access it until I get there with the ID paperwork. If anything goes drastically wrong and I can't get there, it can sit earning a few bucks until I can go.

It has to be a recent bank statement. I did think of sending a letter from the bank from when I set it up, with all my details. They have my statement which has the account number and date, so they could maybe match it up. Otherwise I shall have to get them to send a paper statement. Oh, and they have a copy of a utility bill already, but its obviously not enough. :curse:

Just another little hiccup on the course of the true path! Q