Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Westpac confusion - referee?

Westpac confusion - referee?

Old Sep 10th 2009, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future
Default Westpac confusion - referee?

Hi, I have just received the paperwork for my bank account ive opened online with Westpac.

At the back of the forms i need to sign and take in to the bank with id when im in oz, is a Referee form, where I have to get someone whose known me for 12 months or more to look at my id and sign etc.

But it says that with overseas applicants this person HAS to be from an Internationally recognised bank. SO - do I have to get this done before I arrive in oz, or is this the bit completed by Westpac when I go in with my id?

Im confused as it says the person needs to have know me for 12 months or more, so can Westpac sign it?
Old Sep 10th 2009, 11:03 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all
Default Re: Westpac confusion - referee?

I'd say just go and open an account with the COmmonwealth lot easier!!!!
Gary
Old Sep 10th 2009, 11:17 am
ABCDiamond

From Westpac

Banking before coming to Australia

The identification process for overseas customers is complicated. We recommend you wait until you arrive in Australia to identify yourselves unless you urgently need to bank from overseas before your arrival.

If you need to bank before coming to Australia, follow these steps:

Wait to receive your account details from us
  • Download and complete the Certified Copy Certificate (PDF 519kb)
  • Present the form to your referee, who must be an international bank representative authorised to open accounts, and has known you for at least 12 months
  • Your referee will identify you by examining your passport or birth certificate, plus another document such as a credit card or driver's licence
  • Sign Part A of the form
  • Your referee will complete and sign Part B and Part C, as well as certified photocopies of the identification documents

Send the original copy of the completed form and the certified copies of the identification documents to:

Westpac Migrant Banking Australia
Level 31, Westpac Place
275 Kent Street
Sydney NSW 2000
Australia
Looking at that, I would say your own bank should be able to do that, as long as they are internationally recognised. HSBC, Barclays, Lloyds etc.

Alternatively
If you wait to start banking once you arrive in Australia, they will identify you themselves.
Within six weeks of arriving in Australia, all account owners will need to visit the branch that the account was opened in for a 100 points identification check to activate the new account.
All account owners will need to:
  1. Bring their passports
  2. Confirm current address in Australia
  3. Sign a copy of the printed application form
It sounds like there is some confusion. I would have thought it would be one or the other.

Old Sep 11th 2009, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

You might need to check this further, but we had something similar about 2 years ago (time flies - been here a year).

To open an online account and pay money into it is fairly straight forward. Fill the forms and send (email?) to London Westapc bank. We got a current account ($5 a month fee unless you have a certain balance) and a savings account (which pays interest). Payments must be made direct into the appropriate account.

If you want to move money between the accounts or take money out, then you need to identify yourself. I think you might have to go to London personally unless you can provide the references that you refer to (and I guess certified documents).
Old Sep 11th 2009, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

thebooys has a brilliant futurethebooys has a brilliant futurethebooys has a brilliant futurethebooys has a brilliant futurethebooys has a brilliant futurethebooys has a brilliant futurethebooys has a brilliant futurethebooys has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TandC23
Hi, I have just received the paperwork for my bank account ive opened online with Westpac.

At the back of the forms i need to sign and take in to the bank with id when im in oz, is a Referee form, where I have to get someone whose known me for 12 months or more to look at my id and sign etc.

But it says that with overseas applicants this person HAS to be from an Internationally recognised bank. SO - do I have to get this done before I arrive in oz, or is this the bit completed by Westpac when I go in with my id?

Im confused as it says the person needs to have know me for 12 months or more, so can Westpac sign it?

we have done the same thing.

we get to Melbourne on 27 sept and our plan was to take all the documents into the branch with us and complete and sign them at this point. Not so sure now because of the 12m comment.

as if there isn't enough to do before we leave! better add this back onto the 'to do' list for the weekend.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by thebooys
we have done the same thing.

we get to Melbourne on 27 sept and our plan was to take all the documents into the branch with us and complete and sign them at this point. Not so sure now because of the 12m comment.

as if there isn't enough to do before we leave! better add this back onto the 'to do' list for the weekend.
The 12 months or more bit is only if you are getting identified whilst still in the UK. In Australia you need to pass the 100 point test which when you first arrive is met by showing the bank you passport with your visa and recent entry immigration stamp.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
The 12 months or more bit is only if you are getting identified whilst still in the UK. In Australia you need to pass the 100 point test which when you first arrive is met by showing the bank you passport with your visa and recent entry immigration stamp.
Incorrect !

For accurate details of the 100 point identification system check here......

http://www.aussiemigrant.com/your_finances/f.htm

To the OP, if you require accurate information on Australian laws and legislative requirements, check with the relevant authority.

You really would not not want to be stood at an Australian bank counter without a pot to piss in, being refused permission to open an account and your only response being....................." a bloke called spottydog on an internet forum said that I'd be right"
Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:26 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino
Incorrect !

To the OP, if you require accurate information on Australian laws and legislative requirements, check with the relevant authority.

You really would not not want to be stood at an Australian bank counter without a pot to piss in, being refused permission to open an account and your only response being....................." a bloke called spottydog on an internet forum said that I'd be right"
Actually you're incorrect. The 100 point test is indeed correct if you want to open a bank account - except in the case of new migrant arrivals who simply need to show a passport and visa.

Turns out Spotty Dog was in fact more informed than you
Old Sep 13th 2009, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Centurion
Actually you're incorrect. The 100 point test is indeed correct if you want to open a bank account - except in the case of new migrant arrivals who simply need to show a passport and visa.

Turns out Spotty Dog was in fact more informed than you
If you want to be 100% accurate then the 100 point test isn't actually required since the implementation of the 'Know your customer" AML regulations

Overall most banks are however sticking to the 100 point test but this is why you see some banks (particularly online accounts, i.e. UBank) only asking for 2 sets of ID which doesnt meet to 100 point test.

And to Hino, I'm a woman not a bloke actually plus some random website isn't a "relative authority"
Old Sep 13th 2009, 5:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Hino
Incorrect !

You did see this bit in that web pages code did you ?

<!-- Mirrored from www.aussiemigrant.com/your_finances/f.htm by HTTrack Website Copier/3.x [XR&CO'2005], Sun, 08 May 2005 04:04:46 GMT -->

Some times things can change over time... it is actually best to check with the relevant authority.

Maybe something like this one for example.....

http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-aus...nk-account.htm

3. Open a Bank Account
You should open a bank account within six weeks of your arrival, as you usually need only your passport as identification. After six weeks you will need extra identification to open an account.

Old Sep 14th 2009, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Ann & Paul is a jewel in the roughAnn & Paul is a jewel in the roughAnn & Paul is a jewel in the roughAnn & Paul is a jewel in the roughAnn & Paul is a jewel in the rough

Hi, we've just had exactly the same problem when opening an e-saver account with Westpac. We have had 2 accounts with them since 2006, both of which have been in use since then (we returned to the UK from Mandurah in 2007). As we are considering returning next year we thought we would open a savings account to make the most of our dollars! We tried our own bank in the UK, HSBC but they wouldn't ID us because of the competition factor, then I tried Nationwide who also wouldn't do it. I rang Westpac and they told me to go to Barclays as they are affiliated with Westpac. After 3 visits to our local Barclays they eventually told us they wouldn't do it either!!

In desperation I phoned our branch in Rockingham who said it was all unnecessary as we had already been ID'd when we opened the original accounts

Anyway, unless you want to move money around or pay for something before you arrive in Oz, you can open the account then just go into your chosen branch on arrival with your documents - passport, driving licence etc and they will open the account pretty much instantly. We have found the staff very helpful right from start, much better than UK bank staff! Good Luck
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

chrisnkarl is an unknown quantity at this point

HI WE ARE HAVING SAME PROBLEMS ,
WE OPENED WESTPAC ACCOUNT ONLINE, HAVE RECEIVED SAME DOCUMENTATION REGARDING REFEREE. I HAVE EMAILED WESTPAC WHO CONFIRMED WE A NEED BANK MANAGER REFEREE, ALTHOUGH I EXPLAINED THAT THE BANK MANAGER DOES NOT KNOW US PERSONALLY.
MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN INTO LLOYDS TODAY AND SPOKE WITH BANK MANAGER WHO HAS GIVEN US A LETTER CONFIRMING WE HAVE HAD AN ACCOUNT FOR 20 YEARS, BUT CANNOT REFEREE US DUE TO DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS.

SO NOW CONFUSED, BUT AS WE ARE ONLY GOING TO VALIDATE VISA
WE ARE TAKING CASH PASSPORT INSTEAD OF USING BANK ACCOUNT.
WILL TRY AND OPEN ON ARRIVAL WITH INFORMATION WE HAVE GOT.

Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:41 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

Can't you get someone from the British embassy to sign. I know they are not from a bank but sometimes I've had to do it to open up bank accounts as they have verified my photocopied passport. Take of it what you will.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

We opened with Westpac online before arriving and transferred money into the a/c. Upon arrival we went into bank, took out passport, address from rental apt and validated - no problems. Sometimes I think you guys read into things way to much and cause un-necessary heartache for yourselves

Lynn xx
Old Sep 15th 2009, 5:24 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by the4ofus
We opened with Westpac online before arriving and transferred money into the a/c. Upon arrival we went into bank, took out passport, address from rental apt and validated - no problems. Sometimes I think you guys read into things way to much and cause un-necessary heartache for yourselves

Lynn xx
I agree with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.