Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

wessies in perth

wessies in perth

Old Oct 15th 2003, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

thewoods is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wessies in perth

hello all from the woods and gibson- to those who remember us - havent posted for a number of weeks and there are a lot of names unfamiliar to us

well we are currently sat in gibsons study having a stubbie - wondering why we are here!!! because we are both on the verge of divorce because our husbands think they are on an extended holiday and dont feel the urgency to go out and get work -(well the woods - gibson has got off his arse!)

it is not all that bad really but keep your expectations relatively low because it is not an easy ride by any means - loads of stress and if you come to ellenbrook you have to travel on gnangara road to get to civilisation and believe you me you need a nudge by the time you get to the end!!! - oops a few home truths -must be pi****

as for looking for employment - they are so laid back and they do not rush to get back to you - my husband started a job fitting some doors and they were very anti english(cant understand why they give him the job really but the first doors he fit he was told they had waited 5 months for then so maybe they were just desperate - anyway they told him to fu** off back to england - so be prepared!!

it can be very stressful especially if you have a one year old who has just started walking . teething and is driving me up the wall!!

well now we have just depressed you all (taking pommie bastards place)

good luck in the process
Old Oct 15th 2003, 12:10 pm
WBB

dont know what to say to this......congratulations

Old Oct 15th 2003, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Perhaps thats a little unlucky on the job side , paul has worked for alot of aussies and has never as yet come across abuse like that , the opposite really he gets on well with them , treated just the same as any other bloke and thats on all the building sites he has been on. But suppose there will always be one bad apple amongst them , but there are good ones to .
Glad you are settling in well and hope you settle well
Joanne xx
Old Oct 15th 2003, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: wessies in perth

Originally posted by thewoods
it is not all that bad really but keep your expectations relatively low because it is not an easy ride by any means - loads of stress and if you come to ellenbrook you have to travel on gnangara road to get to civilisation and believe you me you need a nudge by the time you get to the end!!! - oops a few home truths -must be pi****

Welcome to the other side,

I hope things start to settle down for you too, I agree that the reality is not quite what I had imagined but obviously that doesn't make it all bad (just before those of such inkling want to jump on the old bandwagon of criticising any experiences that make them feel uncomfortable).

We are in South Perth, been up to the Swan Valley a couple of times and been to Ellenbrrok, lots of expansion going on up there.

Must be exceptionally hard with a little one too. We are experiencing similar difficulties getting a positive response from employment but plodding on.

If you can't beat the men in their holiday mode, maybe join them for a bit and let them do the babysitting

Donna
Old Oct 16th 2003, 2:46 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

hello all from the woods and gibson- to those who remember us - havent posted for a number of weeks and there are a lot of names unfamiliar to us

well we are currently sat in gibsons study having a stubbie - wondering why we are here!!! because we are both on the verge of divorce because our husbands think they are on an extended holiday and dont feel the urgency to go out and get work -(well the woods - gibson has got off his arse!)

as for looking for employment - they are so laid back and they do not rush to get back to you - my husband started a job fitting some doors and they were very anti english(cant understand why they give him the job really but the first doors he fit he was told they had waited 5 months for then so maybe they were just desperate - anyway they told him to fu** off back to england - so be prepared!!

it can be very stressful especially if you have a one year old who has just started walking . teething and is driving me up the wall!!

good luck in the process
Hang in there guys. There's a lot of us in the same boat and know how frustrating it is. Sitting here at the moment willing the phone to ring and when I call I get told that they will get back to me. Try focusing on how good it will feel when the work does come in. (aaah no more lie-ins or lunchtimes in the pub!)
Old Oct 16th 2003, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Re Wessies in Perth

I think it is very interesting that this post has not had much response from the UK. What could be the reasons for that

Donna
Old Oct 16th 2003, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Hmmm...when i cam to NZ andd got the usual doses of "**** off home pommie bitch" or " piss off back to blighty we dont want you here" ... i was very upset...after a few times i decided i better toughen up a bit...obviously having manners isnt a good thing in the southern hemisphere...

the next time someone said these things to me my reply was..
" why would i want to **** off back to England when i'm enoying my new vocation in life...... pissing off ignorant kiwis"

Try it..it works!!!
Old Oct 16th 2003, 5:14 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by karawara88
Re Wessies in Perth

I think it is very interesting that this post has not had much response from the UK. What could be the reasons for that

Donna

They're asleep!
Old Oct 16th 2003, 5:19 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by podgypossum

" why would i want to **** off back to England when i'm enoying my new vocation in life...... pissing off ignorant kiwis"

Try it..it works!!!

Excellent response! Anyway, the few that do pull that sort of crap are bloody hypocrites, anyway.... where did they and their immediate ancestors come from? They're ALL bloody immigrants!!

I remember when I was living in Mount Isa (NW Qld) and there was one of these 'why don't you Pommy bastards bugger off back to England' types mouthing off in the RSL club. After about ten minutes of this, an Aborigine guy (ex-serviceman) turned to him and said 'Ah, shut up! Your chains are rattling!'
Old Oct 16th 2003, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by downunderpom
They're asleep!
There are now but not when The Woods posted. They are in for a rude awakening perhaps

Donna

Last edited by karawara88; Oct 16th 2003 at 6:56 am.
Old Oct 16th 2003, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

good luck in the process

Just read your post! Thanks for being honest about your experiences so far in OZ. I hope things work out for you all.

footie chick
Old Oct 16th 2003, 7:08 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Awake! (but not from UK!)
Did see this post yesterday, but couldn't work out anything useful to say...but now...

I'd just like to say,
first of all, very good luck to you, and I hope it gets better soon.

And:
Thankyou for posting. Because even though I don't like to admit it, and even though I'm not leaving Holland because I don't like it here, I'm still a bit of a dreamer, and these posts are good!
Because of these posts, I've been thinking more about jobs etc, and have been thinking that we might have to start out with a very cheap rental apartement, instead of a cheap house, cos that could save us maybe about $100 a week.

Further more, I hope me being half Australian, with an Aussie accent will help, and my boyfriend being dutch, I've always heard that the dutch have a good reputation in Perth. So, hope this is true, cos it will certainly help!

Well, good luck, and keep us updated!

Simone
Old Oct 16th 2003, 8:14 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

where exactly do you meet people who say things like this?

I mean do people just come up to you in the street and say this, or in shops.... where?

Originally posted by podgypossum
Hmmm...when i cam to NZ andd got the usual doses of "**** off home pommie bitch" or " piss off back to blighty we dont want you here" ... i was very upset...after a few times i decided i better toughen up a bit...obviously having manners isnt a good thing in the southern hemisphere...

Try it..it works!!!
Old Oct 16th 2003, 8:14 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by downunderpom I remember when I was living in Mount Isa (NW Qld) and there was one of these 'why don't you Pommy bastards bugger off back to England' types mouthing off in the RSL club. After about ten minutes of this, an Aborigine guy (ex-serviceman) turned to him and said 'Ah, shut up! Your chains are rattling!'
Lol i like that

Originally posted by downunderpom
Anyway, the few that do pull that sort of crap are bloody hypocrites, anyway.... where did they and their immediate ancestors come from? They're ALL bloody immigrants!!
In my experience very few actually say that kind of thing, and the further you get from the city, the more you hear it.

If you give back what you get, it also does'nt happen again....

Old Oct 16th 2003, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by PeteY
Lol i like that

In my experience very few actually say that kind of thing, and the further you get from the city, the more you hear it.

If you give back what you get, it also does'nt happen again....

Ummm..i got shouted at in a car park in Lynn Mall West Auckland...by a middle aged man who should know better.

I deserved this treatment because i had a sour look on my face because he parked so close to my car we couldnt open the doors... no..i wasnt rude..i just asked if he would mind moving the car so we could get in.

Another incident was when i sat at a pavement cafe, saw a friend across the road and called to her to come over and share a coffee... this sent two young hoons walking past into a zenophobic frenzy...

sad huh??

thats why i find it so sad that us Brits waste so much time in here bickering amongst each other

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.