Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We're going home!

We're going home!

Old Oct 9th 2002, 6:52 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We're going home!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by anthony:

Yup, not Sydney, definitely not. I am somehow misled by many information available (friends, word of mouth, newsgroups) that Australia is cheap and a place to relax and enjoy. I only realize it should be Australia but Sydney. I think the recent survey that puts Melbourne no. 1 city should include hardship in paying mortgage and by how many percentage of the salary goes to it.

You see, if every month you are penniless because you are chasing a dream home, that would not be a good idea. Freedom includes financial freedom. Many people miss this. Freedom is not just doing what you want to do.

You have hit the nail on the head Sir , sitting on a beach with empty pockets wears thin , most require more than good weather to enjoy life .You can be happy poor but money makes life a lot easier and more comfortable.Far too many here put all they have into mortgages for houses they can not afford to maintain , so only social contact they have is BBQs , which those who attend bring their own meat and drink its all very boring , holidays are only a dream for these people , cheap deals in the Med forget it .
Old Oct 9th 2002, 7:06 am
anthony

Originally posted by pommie bastard:

You have hit the nail on the head Sir , sitting on a beach with empty pockets wears thin , most require more than good weather to enjoy life .You can be happy poor but money makes life a lot easier and more comfortable.Far too many here put all they have into mortgages for houses they can not afford to maintain , so only social contact they have is BBQs , which those who attend bring their own meat and drink its all very boring , holidays are only a dream for these people , cheap deals in the Med forget it .
PB, now I know why I dislike your info (although not in person). I have spent $$$ for agent and visa fee!! And now seeing that many issues in Australia can potentially upset me.

Anyway, I respect your comments and it somehow gives balance. But truly, it makes me regretting why I did it in a hurry!

I also notice that the some of the new migrants (who post to this forum) could not buy a house in Australia immediately (even with mortgage) and can only wait until the house price comes down (if ever).

What am I doing and waiting for here????

Old Oct 9th 2002, 7:16 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by anthony:

PB, now I know why I dislike your info (although not in person). I have spent $$$ for agent and visa fee!! And now seeing that many issues in Australia can potentially upset me.

Anyway, I respect your comments and it somehow gives balance. But truly, it makes me regretting why I did it in a hurry!

I also notice that the some of the new migrants (who post to this forum) could not buy a house in Australia immediately (even with mortgage) and can only wait until the house price comes down (if ever).

What am I doing and waiting for here????
You may do well here but if you hear the bad as well as the good it may give you food for thought even stop you getting ripped off .Australia is full of people who live in other peoples pockets , make sure no ones dipping into yours.
Before you take up sticks have a good look around Australia , in a way it is a lot smaller than UK regarding places to live, only 6 big cities try to look at ones that appeal to you. Good Luck PB
Old Oct 9th 2002, 7:43 am
Chris

"dotty" wrote in message
news:436730.1034066730@britishexpats-
.com
    > Congratulations, once the honeymoon phase of living here wears off it
    > certainly has its downsides. We too hope to get back to the real world
    > next year.

Another typo... don't you mean real *cold* world?

Chris

Old Oct 9th 2002, 7:47 am
Chris

"anthony" wrote in message
news:436732.1034067264@britishexpats-
.com
    > I am new to this forum and I have read many posts. It looks like
    > negative news gives more weight than positive one.
    > I hope those who are living in Australia and disagree with this come
    > forward and argue point by point. Otherwise, this may be true that
    > Australia situation can be described as following
    > 1. Low wage

No. Our buying power is greater than that of those living in the UK,
despite the higher taxes. The problem is that when you take our money
outside of Australia, it's piss weak.

> 2. Work long hour

Not particularly.

> 3. Expensive housing (this is the fact if you read all the recent news)

Compared to where? If we're talking UK, as we often seem to do, then this
is comparatively incorrect.

> The positive thing that I can only see from the post is:
    > 4. Good weather

Some complain there's too much sunshine.

> I have not found any post that says:
    > Hey I got a job and have a good pay.

That's because you have expats trying to take AUD back to the UK. They're
fools to have come in the first place if that was their intention.

Chris

Old Oct 9th 2002, 7:57 am
Chris

"dotty" wrote in message
news:436795.1034071683@britishexpats-
.com
    > It is only fair to say that there are plenty of places in Aus where you
    > could still get cheap housing. Like anywhere you pay for facilities
    > nearby tho. Many cheap housing areas would not even have a basic bus
    > service so add the cost of 2 cars per famly.

I doubt it. Most people would already have two cars... I don't know many
who rely on buses around here.

> Also entertainment is
    > usually 'home made' hence the over abundance of BBQ's.

Really? Weird. We have the odd BBQ, but it isn't the sum of our
entertainment. I don't even own a BBQ. Maybe you live in the sticks??

> Certainly cheap
    > houses if you are prepared to live the quiet life. People pay millions
    > to get into Sydney tho. You gets what you pay for.

Why don't you move closer in to Brisbane?

Chris

Old Oct 9th 2002, 12:08 pm
Mr Mover

GOOD BYE,???

Old Oct 10th 2002, 4:24 am
Banned

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by Chris:
"No. Our buying power is greater than that of those living in the UK,
despite the higher taxes. The problem is that when you take our money
outside of Australia, it's piss weak.

Sorry you are taking the piss now buying what ? houses that people owe far too much money on, or petrol to travel farther to see sod all in cars with 4 litre engines.
Wages are the rule of thumb what would you earn in pounds convert to what you can earn in Micky Mouse Dollars this is your personal exchange rate ie wages equal buying power , if this works out at say $1.5 to a pound then all prices fall into that scale.

MORE than 30,000 full-time jobs were lost in September but the unemployment rate remained steady at 6.2 per cent, official figures show.

Allowing for seasonal factors, total employment fell 30,700 to 9.35 million, the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) said.

Full-time jobs jumped 11,700 to 6.73 million, while part-time employment fell by 42,400 to 2.61 million, the ABS said.

The fall in September jobs was bigger than experts were tipping, with a survey from MMS International showing economists were looking for employment to fall 23,000.

More good news
Old Oct 10th 2002, 4:25 am
Chris

"pommie bastard" wrote in message
news:437958.1034147797@britishexpats-
.com

> Before you take up sticks have a good look around Australia , in a way
    > it is a lot smaller than UK regarding places to live, only 6 big
    > cities try to look at ones that appeal to you. Good Luck PB
    >

Finally, you give someone some useful advice. 1 point for you.

Chris

> --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 10th 2002, 5:26 am
Banned

Originally posted by Chris:
"
Finally, you give someone some useful advice. 1 point for you.

Chris

> --
Hey are you going soft on me Chris? I shall have to beef up my posts this is bad for my street cred.
Old Oct 10th 2002, 5:46 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by John Smith:
£60k, not much point you moving to OZ in the first place in search of a
better life!.. £250k house! haha...
for me at least, i will have a better life in OZ, i would rather clean pools
out and be in OZ than be here... if i had 60k a year, and a barn to live in
maybe i would feel different...

The beauty thing is that I still get paid in pounds and pay UK taxes. That was the deal I came on - they call it an after tax equalised deal. That means I get exactly the same pounds after tax into my bank account for the 2 years I am here as if I was still in London. No catches.
And, just to really piss some people off I just got awarded a promotion back in London, so I am now on 90,000 pounds a year, paying UK tax and living in Sydney. So for the poster who asked if anyone is happy with their salary in Oz, the answer is yes, delighted. I like it but my Australian colleagues hate it and try to drag me to boozer to get the beers in as often as possible. Shame my contract finishes in April as its done wonders for our house savings fund. If we were to stay on after April my salary would drop to $90,000 before Australian taxes, so less than a third of what we get now. Now that would hurt. But since we are returning to the UK, its not an issue.
Old Oct 10th 2002, 5:57 am
Banned

Originally posted by Herman:

The beauty thing is that I still get paid in pounds and pay UK taxes. That was the deal I came on - they call it an after tax equalised deal. That means I get exactly the same pounds after tax into my bank account for the 2 years I am here as if I was still in London. No catches.
And, just to really piss some people off I just got awarded a promotion back in London, so I am now on 90,000 pounds a year, paying UK tax and living in Sydney. So for the poster who asked if anyone is happy with their salary in Oz, the answer is yes, delighted. I like it but my Australian colleagues hate it and try to drag me to boozer to get the beers in as often as possible. Shame my contract finishes in April as its done wonders for our house savings fund. If we were to stay on after April my salary would drop to $90,000 before Australian taxes, so less than a third of what we get now. Now that would hurt. But since we are returning to the UK, its not an issue.

Any jobs going at your place? good with figures ,crap with written English but very keen .
More to the point keep tell you you are far to bright for the dreamers and half wits on here they are grasping at what they are unable to obtain in UK ,why they think it is easy in Australia God only knows , is a case of an over dose on Australian soaps ?
Old Oct 11th 2002, 8:14 am
Chris

"pommie bastard" wrote in message
news:438983.1034223865@britishexpats-
.com
    > Originally posted by Chris:
    > > "No. Our buying power is greater than that of those living in the UK,
    > > despite the higher taxes. The problem is that when you take our money
    > > outside of Australia, it's piss weak.
    > >
    > > Sorry you are taking the piss now buying what ? houses that people owe
    > > far too much money on, or petrol to travel farther to see sod all in
    > > cars with 4 litre engines.
    > > Wages are the rule of thumb what would you earn in pounds convert to
    > > what you can earn in Micky Mouse Dollars this is your personal
    > > exchange rate ie wages equal buying power , if this works out at say
    > > $1.5 to a pound then all prices fall into that scale.

Was it too hard to understand? Sorry for overestimating you. I'm pretty
sure the WHO don't have a "Understanding WHO terms for Dummies," book yet,
so you're pretty much stuffed.

Basically they're using a tool (International Dollars), so as to properly
measure and compare the GDP of different countries. Int $ takes into
consideration the wages, the buying power (ie. what you can afford to do
with your money), and the costs of living. Converting with the exchange
rate is meaningless because the cost of living is not necessarily tied to
the exchange rate (ie. not everything costs x3 in the UK and not everything
is /3 in Aus). I'd be a real gambler to assume you understood it any better
this time around. The figures were taken from the World Health
Organisation.

America: $35,048 (http://www.who.int/co-
untry/usa/en/
)
Australia: $26,524 (http://www.who.int/c-
ountry/aus/en/
)
UK: $24,339 (http://www.who.int/-
country/gbr/en/
)

The ONLY reason you'd compare them on exchange rates, is if you are taking
that currency out of the country and back to another. Are you sending money
back to the UK? If not, it's plainly stupid to waste time comparing what
you earn there and what you earn here and saying you're three times better
off.

> >
    > >
    > >

The crap below is irrelevant and only shows how far you are from
understanding what was said. No one's talking about employment rates.

Chris

> >
    > > MORE than 30,000 full-time jobs were lost in September but the
    > > unemployment rate remained steady at 6.2 per cent, official
    > > figures show.
    > >
    > > Allowing for seasonal factors, total employment fell 30,700 to 9.35
    > > million, the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) said.
    > >
    > > Full-time jobs jumped 11,700 to 6.73 million, while part-time
    > > employment fell by 42,400 to 2.61 million, the ABS said.
    > >
    > > The fall in September jobs was bigger than experts were tipping, with
    > > a survey from MMS International showing economists were looking for
    > > employment to fall 23,000.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > More good news
    > --

Old Oct 12th 2002, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Herman:

I appreciate all you say as we lived in London for a few years before Sydney. But now we are moving to the South West of England, back to my roots. We can do quite nicely there as my salary is high (60k) for the area and we have good savings from living a careful existence so can live in comfort in an affluent and safe country village. With my architect brothers help we are renovating a barn into a 4 bedroom house for a mere 250k sterling, which seems almost free after London and Sydney prices. My wife will not need to work and can raise our child at home rather than being forced to work like in London/Sydney.
My daily commute will be 40 minutes in traffic, not very nice but I did it for 5 years and if you have a comfortable airconditioned car its easy. Believe me, better than the hot and stinking packed Sydney trains in the summer - 9 out of every 10 trains has broken aircon so you literally steam on the way to work.
We will NEVER EVER again live in that shit pit London! Hey, everyone's different. If we were not close to my family and friends, if I was a low earner, if we did not enjoy foreign travel so much and if we did not love the privelaged country lifestyle we are able to attain in England then we may enjoy Australia more. Dont get me wrong, we do like many aspects of the place and its been a great experience. Just forget Sydney if you want any kind of material lifestyle, it wont happen here unless you are a company director, entrepreneur or a drug dealer.
Hi Herman, I`m interested to know what sort of hours you`ll have to work for your 60k?

Cheers Marlo
Old Oct 13th 2002, 9:42 pm
Jcw

Hi Dotty

Just sat through a whole day of grey skies, 48F and torrential rain here in
the UK and it's only October.
When I fill up my car it costs £44 (over AUD$110).
When I try to travel anywhere between the hours of 07:00-19:00 all the roads
are clogged up.
I have to pay 17.5% VAT on everything I buy.

Pity we can't swap passports as Aus is the place I want to be....sad thing
is I've left it too late as I'm 45 on Oct 25th and now I guess I'll never
get in except for my annual holiday!

"dotty" wrote in message
news:436730.1034066730@britishexpats-
.com
    > Congratulations, once the honeymoon phase of living here wears off it
    > certainly has its downsides. We too hope to get back to the real world
    > next year. For me Qlds climate was hell, I find sweat, sunblock and
    > humidity day and night disgusting. Going over in Dec to look at
    > property and going to lap up every minute of real life, my aussie
    > Husband is already armed with his copy of 4000 things to do in London.
    > And I will happily burn my copy of 3 things to do in Australia, (only
    > joking I am sure somebody will point out at least four). I am sure
    > there are people who will love the quiet isolation of Australia (and
    > sweating) but it certainly was not enough for my old brain cells to
    > keep going. My brain is bursting to get on with all Europe has to
    > offer, rain or not. Just reading your post made me drool. Good Luck
    > and all the best.
    > Originally posted by Herman:
    > > Final decision made and date set. Back to England from Sydney on 1
    > > May next year. Great, can't wait. Job sorted, architect brother has
    > > found us a nice barn down a country lane and will be renovating it for
    > > us. Living in real countryside again, hooray! Cold weather, bring it
    > > on. Traffic jams, let me 'et em. Real beer, drool. Real wages, look
    > > at me I'm a millionaire. Holidays in France, oui, c'est ca. Family
    > > roasts, oink. Real friends for dinner, pass ze sauce Mavis. Whats
    > > this? No sport on this channel, zap, or that channel, zap, or this
    > > channel, zap, or this channel, zap... eh? eh? No more news headlines
    > > "Its official, Australia is the best country in the world, blah blah",
    > > "Today everyone in world agreed that Australia is best, blah blah",
    > > "People in America are chopping off their ears, so we better pass an
    > > 'earless law', blah blah." and now for the 3 hour sports news "Today
    > > we won everything, we are the best in the world, blah blah blah". No
    > > more rednecks, look at me I've got a big ute that makes loud noises
    > > and I shagged my cousin in the back. No more 6pm requests from the
    > > boss "ooh, the pressures on this time, we better work all night to
    > > please our client, simper whimper...". No more.
    > >
    > > Sorry, not what people want to hear I know. I'm tired and grumpy
    > > today after a sticky night in Sydney last night - woke up at
    > > 2.30am sweating and no sleep after that. And its only early
    > > October. Oh great, summers coming, 5 hours sleep a night for 4
    > > months, if I'm lucky.
    > >
    > In the pub with other whinging poms over the weekend and discovered we
    > are not alone. All present are in the process of trying to find jobs
    > back in England. Can't understand it myself, I thought Australia was
    > the ultimate place to live? Ho hum, we live and learn as they say.
    > --

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.