Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We're Going For It!!!!

Wikiposts

We're Going For It!!!!

Old Nov 27th 2003, 10:49 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by janeyray
Hey I forgot to say: I think you should call the dog box

"The Dream"
Or Pat, in honour of all of us her on the expat forum
Old Nov 27th 2003, 11:06 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

grrrrrrrrrr, its so frustrating being off line, i've obviously missed something, but i hope whatever it was that it is sorted now and that you enjoy the trip. Keep us posted and enjoy it guys
Old Nov 28th 2003, 12:31 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by karawara88
Thanks so much for the advice, one thing we were wondering about was mosquitos getting into the van and eating us alive at night. Any tips on this. We've bought some repellent but any tips from someone who knows would be invaluable. Did you take anything with you for lighting fires? The last time I went camping 'properly' fire and all, was about 15 years ago, hopefully it will be like riding a bike
We just killed them in the van. When lieing there at night and it's so quiet you can hear the bastards buzzing around. We made sure that we didn't cook too late in the day so we wouldn't need a light on when we were cooking (and therefore keeping the back door of the van open). We would never have the car light on while the doors were open.

But we also noticed that after a while the mosquito bites didn't bother us. Either we got use to the stuff they put in ya, or we just learnt to live with it. However tea tree oil helps. As does making a cross in the mossie bit and spitting on it. Your own spit works best. Its the friggen sand flies you have to watch out for!

As for fire making - we started off using those fire lights that you get for bbqs. But after doing it for a while we learnt how to build a fire without using anything....Scott's proudest moment was making a fire using only one match and nothing else.

If you are going to cook on an open fire best to invest in some good heavy (the word escapes me for the moment) cooking pots. We had a good frying pan which was great for cooking breakie in.

Ooh you'll have so much fun experiencing so many new things. If you look at it as a true adventure then you'll have a whale of a time. Make sure you keep a diary.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 12:36 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Vee

If you are going to cook on an open fire best to invest in some good heavy (the word escapes me for the moment) cooking pots. We had a good frying pan which was great for cooking breakie in.
Camp ovens! Camp ovens! That's what you need. Cast iron pots (bit like cauldrons), come in a variety of sizes, available from camping shops for A$60-$150.

Here's a picture of my cooking arrangements, complete with camp ovens in action
Attached Thumbnails We're Going For It!!!!-camp-ovens.jpg  
Old Nov 28th 2003, 12:37 am
She's a bird, you know

Blimey, sorry about the size. I never learn to reduce before posting!
Old Nov 28th 2003, 12:41 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by bundy
Blimey, sorry about the size. I never learn to reduce before posting!
Cast Iron! That is the word(s) I was looking for. Ta.

Yeah the oven ones look lots better than a frying pan.

They are damn heavy tho! Smack your partner over the head with a cast iron frying pan and s/he'll know about it!
Old Nov 28th 2003, 1:37 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

okay extremely jealous now.... these are the kinds of experiences you'll remember forever.

more so than what the rest of us are doing - ie in our offices!

best of luck
Old Nov 28th 2003, 2:27 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default And I thought we were mad

I now realise we are reasonably sane compared to this guy:

Cycling experience was not something that 22-year-old adventurer NEIL THOMAS had to draw upon in deciding to take on the challenge of a ride across the Nullarbor Plain in summer. He didn't even own a bicycle but not even this could daunt him, as he explains in:

http://www.multiline.com.au/~bta/touring/march93.htm
Old Nov 28th 2003, 2:33 am
She's a bird, you know

Default Re: And I thought we were mad

Originally posted by Jirrupin

Cycling experience was not something that 22-year-old adventurer NEIL THOMAS had to draw upon in deciding to take on the challenge of a ride across the Nullarbor Plain in summer. He didn't even own a bicycle but not even this could daunt him, as he explains in:

I remember watching some Ben Dark thing when he was driving across the Nullarbor and came across this old guy who has been walking the Australian outback for years earning money for charity. He also met a mad Japanese cyclist. They're nuts, the lot of them. Campervan is sheer luxury in comparison!
Old Nov 28th 2003, 2:49 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: And I thought we were mad

Originally posted by Jirrupin

God I hope he didn't cycle in those shorts.......