Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We're Finally Here

We're Finally Here

Old Aug 5th 2006, 10:15 am
living the life of Ozley!

Leandra34 has a brilliant futureLeandra34 has a brilliant futureLeandra34 has a brilliant futureLeandra34 has a brilliant futureLeandra34 has a brilliant futureLeandra34 has a brilliant future
Default We're Finally Here

H guys,
Well we made it we are finally here in Oz... QLD to be precise been here for a month now.... but it took us that long to get the internet up and running.

So what's been happening on here.... I here a lot of negative feedback on Oz.

Let me just tell you something from someone who has never been to Oz before and still decided to take the plunge in moving I have found my experience to be fairly positive..... of course it isnt the UK and things ARE different here and the weather isn't as sunny as one may hope {especially in winter months} but if I wanted the UK and it all to be like the UK then i would have stayed in the UK!

Even after doing research, hours and hours on the internet looking at the town where we live, being given loads of advice from this website nothing really does quite prepare you for such a huge move, small things do confuse you, but people are friendly... tell them you don't understand the way things work, ask the locals questions, laugh with others about differences int he language.... I have found that most if not all people are willing to help out, willing to give you their bit of advice..... goodness one of the girls I met in the bank trying to open our account has become my source of information over here.... she knows me by name and finds anything out that I dont understand... everything from car registration to what they called candy floss over here {incidently it's fairy floss and sweets are called lollies!!}

Life is what you make it as with anywhere you may move to goodness knows I had more of a hard time moving to South Wales from Berkshire than I have from South Wales to Australia.

I am so looking forward to summer and some warmer weather but mostly I am looking forward to the rest of my life as a british expat in Australia.

Good Luck to all how are embarking upon this journey..... belive me there will be highs and lows but all in all be realistic... it's not a bed of roses.... but it's certainly not a bed of nails either.

Leandra
Old Aug 5th 2006, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We're Finally Here

Great post Leandra!

I know what you mean about individual one person sources of info - our local newsagent was the same when we were on reccie back in May. He was brilliant!

Continue enjoying!
Old Aug 5th 2006, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: We're Finally Here

Originally Posted by Leandra34
H guys,
Well we made it we are finally here in Oz... QLD to be precise been here for a month now.... but it took us that long to get the internet up and running.

So what's been happening on here.... I here a lot of negative feedback on Oz.

Let me just tell you something from someone who has never been to Oz before and still decided to take the plunge in moving I have found my experience to be fairly positive..... of course it isnt the UK and things ARE different here and the weather isn't as sunny as one may hope {especially in winter months} but if I wanted the UK and it all to be like the UK then i would have stayed in the UK!

Even after doing research, hours and hours on the internet looking at the town where we live, being given loads of advice from this website nothing really does quite prepare you for such a huge move, small things do confuse you, but people are friendly... tell them you don't understand the way things work, ask the locals questions, laugh with others about differences int he language.... I have found that most if not all people are willing to help out, willing to give you their bit of advice..... goodness one of the girls I met in the bank trying to open our account has become my source of information over here.... she knows me by name and finds anything out that I dont understand... everything from car registration to what they called candy floss over here {incidently it's fairy floss and sweets are called lollies!!}

Life is what you make it as with anywhere you may move to goodness knows I had more of a hard time moving to South Wales from Berkshire than I have from South Wales to Australia.

I am so looking forward to summer and some warmer weather but mostly I am looking forward to the rest of my life as a british expat in Australia.

Good Luck to all how are embarking upon this journey..... belive me there will be highs and lows but all in all be realistic... it's not a bed of roses.... but it's certainly not a bed of nails either.

Leandra
Hi Leandra

Well done - I am about 2 weeks behind you (arrived on 18/7) and totally agree with you. Best of luck!

Sue
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:10 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

Nice post........not too sure which part of Queensland you have moved too but the weather here on the Gold Coast is fab!!!!!! Sunny most days
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:20 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Tehe...this wintery weather doesn't last for much longer...chuckle to think of you in the soul-destroying Qld heat over Summer! :scared: You should definitely stay friendly with bank girl as you will probably spend a LOT more time in the bank if you don't have aircon at home! Great to hear you're enjoying the move!