Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Were Do We Start

Were Do We Start

Old Aug 20th 2005, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Gary & Lisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Were Do We Start

Hi all we are new to this forum so sorry if our question has been asked a thousand times.
We have finally decided to start the ball rolling, done the test, scored 120.
I am 40 Lisa is 38. We have a 6 year old daughter.
I am a Self Employed Builder/Bricklayer and Lisa is a Accounts and Payroll Administrator.
We would like to know your recommendations for areas based on our skills and how long it all takes. We had thought of visiting for a month to suss it out is this a good idea?

Hope this is not too vague and I'm sure we will have lots of other questions once we trawl through all the posts.

Thanks in advance

Gary & Lisa
Sheffield
Old Aug 20th 2005, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Were Do We Start

Originally Posted by Gary & Lisa
Hi all we are new to this forum so sorry if our question has been asked a thousand times.
I am a Self Employed Builder/Bricklayer and Lisa is a Accounts and Payroll Administrator.
We would like to know your recommendations for areas based on our skills and how long it all takes. We had thought of visiting for a month to suss it out is this a good idea?

Hope this is not too vague and I'm sure we will have lots of other questions once we trawl through all the posts.

Thanks in advance

Gary & Lisa
Sheffield
I would stronly suggest a holiday first and look into as many things (house buying process,schools,areas,job prospects) as possible while your there. I know it does not sound like much of a holiday but thats the idea dont forget it wont be a 24/7 holiday when you live there. I am sure there is a link somewhere on the forum for job search and areas where certain skills are in short supply. Not much help but its a start, hope all goes well
Old Aug 20th 2005, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

lovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nice

Hey just go for it as I don't know anyone that has gone and not liked it.
Because of your age you should get the ball rolling asap as you could loose points if you sit on your ass and dont just do it
Old Aug 20th 2005, 4:05 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovealot
You've obviously not looked at the 'moving back to the UK' forum then

Most people who migrate to Australia, Canada and New Zealand do like it. However there are some who don't:

1. Those who are more dependent than they realised on family/close friends links in the UK (without wishing to appear sexist, it's more likely to affect the wife than husband)

2. Economic issues. Low salaries (especially in NZ), and problems with qualification/experience recognition (especially in Canada)

3. Those hoping to 'escape' from the UK's social problems. Things are fairly similar in Australia, Canada and NZ, although perhaps not to the same degree. It also depends on what part of the country you are in.

It's very important to have some positive reasons why you want to migrate, otherwise you'll find the going very tough once you hit a setback.

Jeremy
Old Aug 20th 2005, 4:13 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gary & Lisa

Thanks in advance

Gary & Lisa
Sheffield
Welcome to the forum!

I would certainly recommend visiting Australia before making that huge financial and emotional comitment. You may hate it! At least you'd have a rather nice holiday anyway

Personally I would recommend visiting Brisbane and that way you are also close enough to go visiting Sydney and further South. But the country is huge so its largely do your homework and a personal choice.

Whatever you decide I wish you all the very best in your application.
Old Aug 20th 2005, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

jo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant future

Hi,

I would definitely visit Australia 1st, before putting in your visa request, this does not mean that you have to stop investigating Australia, there is plenty of Websites, and I would also talk to migration agents and find out costs and the process.

2 couples which are friends of ours, both visited Australia with every intention of living there, and they all can to the conclusion that Australia was not for then for different reasons, but they were so glad for us when we decided to go, Holidays for them all .

Good luck with your application.

Jo
Old Aug 20th 2005, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

wallabywannabies will become famous soon enoughwallabywannabies will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Were Do We Start

welcome to the forum,brisbane is experiencing a masive biulding boom.theres sites popping up where ever you look.to the north of brisbane is the sunshine coast and to the south is the gold coast.i went for a recky back at xmas and looked for work.im a joiner.there was loads on.my advice would be to get your tra in whilst your holidaying ,at least then the ball is rolling .the older you are the less points you get!good luck and all the best.

steve
Old Aug 20th 2005, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

Guest0424 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Just read your thread. We live in Chapeltown, Sheffield. Have 2 children, boy 6, girl 8. Husband is a Plumber.
We started the visa process last January 2004 and decided to visit before going any further. YOU DEFINITELY NEED TO VISIT BEFORE GOING AHEAD. We went to Perth in May last year (coming into their Winter). Loved the place but found that it was very isolated, job front looked a bit bleak and house prices had rocketed on par with the Eastern States. We'd only looked at Perth due to house prices and hopefully being mortgage free (big mistake don't expect to be mortgage free). Found Perth virtually closed down at 9pm due to Winter months. Many people on the threads have also said exactly the same. We ended up flying up to Broome just to get some warmer weather and internal flight cost around £800 2 adults, 2 children so definitely think of where you are going to look so that you can fly nearby States if need be. We thought some food prices were expensive, i.e., children's cereal seemed to be dearer than over here, but then veg and meat seemed cheap. New cars a lot cheaper than over here but used cars more expensive.

Aussies seemed very friendly in that we met a Pilot and his wife up in Broome on their last day and they invited us out when we went back to Perth and we ended up getting pissed at their house.

We have now decided to start the process all over again but are going to go towards Victoria since houses prices roughly same as Perth (we will need a mortgage), better earning potentials, weather seems a bit more reasonable in that in the Summer in Perth the temperatures can become unbearable.

Have you decided which agent you are going through. Definitely get the ball rolling asap due to your age because after 44 the gate shuts and depending on what kind of visa you are going to apply for depends on what length of time it will take to get in Oz.

If you want any advice we will try to help. Good luck.
Old Aug 20th 2005, 6:39 pm
Banned

Bradley7 will become famous soon enoughBradley7 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lovealot
Because of your age you should get the ball rolling asap as you could loose points if you sit on your ass and dont just do it

I know someone who went and came back within 3 months! Not a decision I'd take so lightly. But to each their own
Old Aug 20th 2005, 6:44 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
You've obviously not looked at the 'moving back to the UK' forum then

Most people who migrate to Australia, Canada and New Zealand do like it. However there are some who don't:

1. Those who are more dependent than they realised on family/close friends links in the UK (without wishing to appear sexist, it's more likely to affect the wife than husband)

2. Economic issues. Low salaries (especially in NZ), and problems with qualification/experience recognition (especially in Canada)

3. Those hoping to 'escape' from the UK's social problems. Things are fairly similar in Australia, Canada and NZ, although perhaps not to the same degree. It also depends on what part of the country you are in.

It's very important to have some positive reasons why you want to migrate, otherwise you'll find the going very tough once you hit a setback.

Jeremy

Word.
Old Aug 20th 2005, 6:50 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

personaly i think you need to live there to experience real life i dont see how 2-3 weeks in a hotel can give you a insight into real life and how you would cope without your family and freinds
Old Aug 21st 2005, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

jo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kelli28
personaly i think you need to live there to experience real life i dont see how 2-3 weeks in a hotel can give you a insight into real life and how you would cope without your family and freinds
The idea is you dont spend 2-3 weeks in a hotel room you spend as little time as possible there .Get out and about look in local papers for job prospects, house prices, check out schools, areas, facilities it aint no holiday. You have to be sure you have the best chance to make a new life or you end up spending a fortune then wind up back in the UK worse off than when you started. I cant see how anyone could move somewhere without atleast a visit first it could be a great place or it could be a boil on the arse of the planet . Alternatively just get a map and shove a pin in it and hope for the best