Reload this Page >

We're Back, Whacked but very Happy from .... NZ

We're Back, Whacked but very Happy from .... NZ

Old May 6th 2003, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Slippers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jajpe
Slippers,
just read your question again and realised you were probably being sarccastic and referring to the fruit!! sorry if i missed the joke first time around. A bit thick me!!!

Hi

You are not being thick at all and I was not being sarcastic.

It's just that in NZ there are a lot of people from all over the world all trying to be "kiwis". The word is used here to mean "one of us", in my opinion, and so it can be important to be more "kiwi", especially when trying to get jobs and just get taken as a valid and full member of society here. There is a lot of anti-Asian sentiment in this country and after a while I started to feel very sorry for the people suffering it. There are too many people trained and educated to a very high standard who are cleaning windscreens or pumping petrol because they don't look pakeha or have the right accent that it is shameful. I grew up in inner London and most of the best teachers and doctors I had were Asian and so to see good people going to waste just cos they say things differently, even if their English is of a higher standard, grammatically, than a pakeha New Zealander, is very sad. Still, times are changing and the future of NZ is increasingly going to belong to the Maoris and the Pacific Islanders. Pakeha NZers are joining in with that movement it seems, as NZ finds its own identity separate from "Mother England".

You said that you do not have anything against immigrants and I respect that. It is unfair to make this point here, as if to you, and so please take it that I am just replying to you to correct your thoughts that I was being sarcastic. The above comments are not directed at you, but I might as well put them here as anywhere.

Slippers
Old May 6th 2003, 5:24 pm
Christchurch Bound

stephen john is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Didnt manage any incentives, Rogers obviously very lucky,there is apparently a youth hostel across the road.Have also been adviced that motels are pretty cheap during the winter months.

claire
Old May 7th 2003, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

tom's mum will become famous soon enoughtom's mum will become famous soon enough

Hi Shirley,

I have enjoyed reading your posts in this forum. I have managed to secure a job as a midwife in New Plymouth. we have our medicals next week and then will be able to submit our application. i have already compiled the application in a folder with all the relevant documents in indexed sections. We are now seriously considering going down to London to submit our application in person. Do they take copies of your documents or do you need to still get certified copies? Do you recopmmend making an appointment or can you just turn up?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, there are many more where these came from!!

Helen
Old May 8th 2003, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tom's mum
Hi Shirley,

I have enjoyed reading your posts in this forum. I have managed to secure a job as a midwife in New Plymouth. we have our medicals next week and then will be able to submit our application. i have already compiled the application in a folder with all the relevant documents in indexed sections. We are now seriously considering going down to London to submit our application in person. Do they take copies of your documents or do you need to still get certified copies? Do you recopmmend making an appointment or can you just turn up?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, there are many more where these came from!!

Helen

hello helen,

congratulations on getting the job in New Plymouth - sorry we didn't get there last month so can't tell you anything about it but you're not a million miles away from wellington which can only be a good thing - i liked it a lot!!

about our application! we didn't make an appointment and there didn't seem to be any necessity to do so. we walked in to the reception desk and the lady told us to take a seat and someone would come down shortly. they did in about one minute and we were taken straight to a lady in the office upstairs. she went through everything briefly and noted the main documents we had included and then told us we could take our x-rays (they don't need to see those apparently if there is no problem on the report) and passports home again but they would keep everything else in the meantime. i had photocopies of everything,birth certificates, evidence of all work, nurse registration certificates etc. but she said they would post back all the originals by recorded delivery after a case officer had been assigned which she said would be in a week or so. i hadn't got the copies certified or anything as i was bringing both over and they could check the copies for themselves.

all in all, we felt it was well worth the flight over to submit it ourselves. the girl was very friendly and it was nice to just see that it all got there in one piece and get her reassurance that all our hard work looked good on first impressions anyway. all the best with yours and don't feel bad about asking questions - that's what the forum is for and we have all appreciated been able to find stuff out in this way!
Old May 8th 2003, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

tracey710 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default areas to live

my friend moved to nz in jan.she lives in avonhead just outside christchurch and loves it . We are looking to apply but have been told we are short of points so needa job offer. i am an oncology nurse but am just waiting to find out if i have a research nurse post, would like to continue in this line in nz if poss. don't want to go till mid next year,how soon do i contact hosps, is there oncology unit at christchurch, won't be able to visit so probably need to do phone interview, how was that. what are wages like?
Old May 8th 2003, 10:24 pm
Christchurch Bound

stephen john is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

I contacted the Director of Nursing and was offered a telephone interview a week later. It was really nerve racking and was surprised i got the job. I am now very excited at the prospect of working in a ward environment after 12 years as a District Nurse. I am sure things dont change that much and it will all come
flooding back to me pretty quickly.

Would love to hear from people in the Christchurch area and surroundings about the way of life, cost of living, price of housing(as not convinced real estate web sites reflect the true price of property).
Old May 9th 2003, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

tom's mum will become famous soon enoughtom's mum will become famous soon enough
Cool

Hi,

If you go to the web site:

www.southerndoctor.co.nz

you can get the links to all the New Zealand District Health Boards from there you can search for vacancies and apply over the internet.
I have managed to get a job with the Taranaki District Health Board. The interview was conducted over the telephone and is quite nerve racking because you cannot get any of the non verbal clues. Have you got your registration through yet? I know many of the district health boards dont consider any applications over the internet without registration.

Hope this helps.

Helen
Old Jan 29th 2005, 10:02 pm
PJM

Default Re: We're Back, Whacked but very Happy from .... NZ

Originally Posted by hanley
hi shirley,

wow thats wonderfull to hear you got on so well, what did you think of Timaru my husband got his job offer there as a plumber and we are hopefully going for a visit in the next 6 weeks,would love to know your thoughts good or bad?

kerrie
Have you discused wages as a plumber in NZ? Have you also looked into registration.

Old Jan 29th 2005, 10:25 pm
can`t believe we made it!

hanley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We're Back, Whacked but very Happy from .... NZ

Originally Posted by PJM
Have you discused wages as a plumber in NZ? Have you also looked into registration.
Gosh this is an old post! we took up the job offer in Timaru 18 months ago and have been very happy since we moved to nz.Plumbing is definutly different here wages wise and job wise but worth it all the same.
Thanks for the question anyway
cheers
ps i guess i should do an update at some point!