Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

We're back but its horrible!!!!

We're back but its horrible!!!!

Old Jan 22nd 2004, 12:03 pm
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough
Default We're back but its horrible!!!!

Flew back in to the delightful Heathrow Airport on Monday afternoon after spending three weeks in Brisbane, got stuck on the M25 on the way home, it was freezing cold and raining.

But had a fantastic time in Oz, looked into things and have decided that we will be taking all our furniture etc with us, its not a cheap place to live when you are earning the dollar, it was great for us though with the pound. Looked at houses and areas where we want to live, property is still going up at the moment so our house may be slightly smaller out there than first thought.

The flight with two kids aged 3 & 4 with Singapore Airlines was good but too long, will recommend anyone to stop over, but the stewardesses were so lovely when both boys started being ill on the flight over and couldn't do enough for us.

Did the tourist thing and went to Australia Zoo which is OK, went to Wet and Wild which is a rip off when both children are too small to go on anything, Seaworld was good though loved the dolphins shows.

It was hot but lovely to get up everyday and the sun is shining, the ozzies moaned more about the heat than we did, it beats the horrible sticky summers in the UK where nowhere is airconditioned.

Can't wait to go back, the job market has picked up a lot out there according to their papers, so just waiting on the visas.

Hope we all get to be in Oz in 2004.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 12:08 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back to the lovely UK!!!!!!

We felt exactly the same as you when we flew back into Heathrow, .......nothing but grim faces and wet weather!!! it's really dirty there too isn't it? Not exactly a great first impression for visitors!
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you had a great time!
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 1:15 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by artep
Welcome back to the lovely UK!!!!!!

We felt exactly the same as you when we flew back into Heathrow, .......nothing but grim faces and wet weather!!! it's really dirty there too isn't it? Not exactly a great first impression for visitors!
I have to say that I have only once flown back into LHR when it's *not* been raining. I wonder if there's a large cloud, tethered permanently, like a barrage balloon, somewhere above
Staines?

Good on yer, Brissie sounds fun & now you will be motivated to get in gear & go for good! All the best!

Singapore Airlines are great - used them several times: good food (veggie) & the cabin crew were complete dears. Also, when my Father in Law was taken seriously ill at LHR, about to board one of their planes, they were really, really helpful, kind & sympathetic.

BA, take note!

Anya.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Kelly T is an unknown quantity at this point

We also got stuck in traffic on M25 after landing at Heathrow on our return from Oz.
It was also very cold. Two things I won't be missing once we have gone!
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: We're back but its horrible!!!!

Originally posted by leanda
Flew back in to the delightful Heathrow Airport on Monday afternoon after spending three weeks in Brisbane, got stuck on the M25 on the way home, it was freezing cold and raining.

But had a fantastic time in Oz, looked into things and have decided that we will be taking all our furniture etc with us, its not a cheap place to live when you are earning the dollar, it was great for us though with the pound. Looked at houses and areas where we want to live, property is still going up at the moment so our house may be slightly smaller out there than first thought.

The flight with two kids aged 3 & 4 with Singapore Airlines was good but too long, will recommend anyone to stop over, but the stewardesses were so lovely when both boys started being ill on the flight over and couldn't do enough for us.

Did the tourist thing and went to Australia Zoo which is OK, went to Wet and Wild which is a rip off when both children are too small to go on anything, Seaworld was good though loved the dolphins shows.

It was hot but lovely to get up everyday and the sun is shining, the ozzies moaned more about the heat than we did, it beats the horrible sticky summers in the UK where nowhere is airconditioned.

Can't wait to go back, the job market has picked up a lot out there according to their papers, so just waiting on the visas.

Sounds great ! I wanna go NOW !!!
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 1:33 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

When we landed in Brisbane , the clean air hit us, it was warm .. we made our way thru to collect baggage, and onward to the foreigners queue, to be greeted by a smiling happy official who checked our passports etc.

When we flew back into Heathrow we were gobsmacked at the speed of everything, people running and hustling and bumping into each other... plus it was raining.

Thing is I dont mind rain, QLD has a lot of it, and boy when it rains it rains, but uk rain seems polluted dirty and the air seems dank and dismal.

cant wait to go back neither, 80 days for us ish

trying emirates this time

wb
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

I'd forgotten just how much litter & graffiti there was as well. The train trip through London was a real downer.

On the plus side for the UK though, I'd forgotten during my time in Aus, just how green and lush the countryside is here. I'd kind of got used to dull brown grass in Brisbane!

sandy
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

hi Leanda

We looked out for you on the 28th December - we were on the same flight - we stopped off in Singapore on the way & it does make it easier!!!

we went to perth & loved it - decided that we are moving out in Dec 04. We flew back on Saturday night & were struck by the mayham at heathrow - everyone ruching around & everything was grey, dingy & scruffy. Made us even more determined to move to Oz.

Glad you enjoyed your hols - now get cracking & get organising.

Pockygoes
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 1:41 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I will restore some parity to this arguement.

When I landed at Heathrow last year I was greeted with brilliant sunshine and temps of 101!!!! :scared:
A full 30 degrees warmer than when I left Brisbane.
I flew up the M25 and M1 and was back in Nottingham before I knew it.

But I did really enjoy Brisbane and it reminded me of Nottingham quite a bit.

TT

Old Jan 22nd 2004, 2:11 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

The only time I can say I was glad to arrive at heathrow was after working out in Saudi Arabia. A month of temps in the 120F's, dry, dusty, skin constantly scored by sand. The rain on my skin as we stepped off the plane at LHR was the best feeling ever. Mind you, that feeling only lasted for about 30 mins before the usual london stuff started getting to me again
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by pockygoes
hi Leanda

We looked out for you on the 28th December - we were on the same flight - we stopped off in Singapore on the way & it does make it easier!!!

we went to perth & loved it - decided that we are moving out in Dec 04. We flew back on Saturday night & were struck by the mayham at heathrow - everyone ruching around & everything was grey, dingy & scruffy. Made us even more determined to move to Oz.

Glad you enjoyed your hols - now get cracking & get organising.

Pockygoes

know the feeling! it took us a good few days to get over the jetlag/being back feeling!! i def know now that i want to move to Perth after how we felt when we reurned!!! Pockygoes we were there at the same time - where did u end up staying?? did u have a good time??
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 3:07 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

It would be cold in England at the moment.It is Winter!

It is Summer in Australia therefore it is warmer.

I remember sitting watching the penguins on Phillip Island near Melbourne in spring a couple of years ago.It was FREEZING.

I had driven down from Sydney and it had not stopped raining for a week.

Everywhere has bad weather

G
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 3:16 pm
Brisbane bound

brendan_34_mids is on a distinguished road
Default moving to brisbane

wow leanda sounds like u had the same hol as we did. got back 2 weeks a go.
We are a family of four, 2 girls (7&9) we visited my brother in brisbane, cleveland. we had 5 weeks it was the best place ever.
we too did sea worlg, great, oz zoo, ok, dream world, good. But behind the tourist part of the hol i loved the oz way of life and there laid back approach to things. soon as we got back we filled in applications to emmigrate. With the rise in house prices over the last few years there has never been a better time to go for families of our age.
we shall rent for the first year without any worries about money having the equity from the house, if all goes well with finding the right job we can then think about buying our own piece of oz.
You find a trend of brits going over the next few years i think, so best to do it now before the boom. What a life for our children, we could never offer them that in the uk.

good luck to you.
brendan.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 3:40 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
When we landed in Brisbane , the clean air hit us, it was warm .. we made our way thru to collect baggage, and onward to the foreigners queue, to be greeted by a smiling happy official who checked our passports etc.

When we flew back into Heathrow we were gobsmacked at the speed of everything, people running and hustling and bumping into each other... plus it was raining.

Thing is I dont mind rain, QLD has a lot of it, and boy when it rains it rains, but uk rain seems polluted dirty and the air seems dank and dismal.

cant wait to go back neither, 80 days for us ish

trying emirates this time

wb
The pollution levels here in the UK are getting scary - here in East Anglia, apparently 1 in 3 school kids has asthma, and 1 in 8 of UK adults have it. If I had small kids I'd be outta here tomorrow! Too many people & cars in too small a space does not help, and the damp air too. My doc told me once that East Anglia is a 'major catarrh area' (yuk, should I wear my wellies?!) & noted for its high level of respiratory illness. Wonder what the stats are like for round LHR?

Good luck with that clean wholesome Brissie air!

Anya.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.