Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

went on validation trip and now having second thoughts

went on validation trip and now having second thoughts

Old Nov 3rd 2006, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

lisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nicelisas is just really nice
Default went on validation trip and now having second thoughts

Everyone has been really helpful and i've had lots of good advice. however we
went on rekkie to sydney last wk and started to panic as teaching jobs and suplly work seem to be becoming more scarce we are moving for a better( i am a primary school teacher) quality of life but feel the high cost of houses/rent and lower wages and possibly lack of work will put us at a disadvantage. will we be too busy making ends meet to enjoy the lifestyle? Thought of moving further in land or to another state but then we would be compromising our dream. After 2 yrs of planning we are now rethinking everything. hope we make the right decision any advice
lisa x
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 8:28 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: went on validation trip and now having second thoughts

Originally Posted by lisas
went on rekkie to sydney last wk and started to panic as teaching jobs and suplly work seem to be becoming more scarce we are moving for a better( i am a primary school teacher) quality of life but feel the high cost of houses/rent and lower wages and possibly lack of work will put us at a disadvantage. will we be too busy making ends meet to enjoy the lifestyle? Thought of moving further in land or to another state but then we would be compromising our dream. After 2 yrs of planning we are now rethinking everything. hope we make the right decision any advice
lisa x
Why not go on another trip to OZ and look at places along the NSW coast or, Victoria , QLD, WA, SA and if you don't like these places as much as Sydney then don't immigrate.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 8:35 pm

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: went on validation trip and now having second thoughts

Hi,
Have you thought of any where else.Sydney is really expensive.I am a nurse and we couldnt afford to live there-we have opted for Brisbane instead.
It is a huge move and you are bound to be feeling nervous.
Dont make any rash decisions!
Good luck!
Andrea
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

We live in Bayside Brisbane, we work more hours for less pay but boy do we have the best weekends

Just be warn if you are under the imprssion that you can move here work less it is not always the case !!
Old Nov 4th 2006, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

You say you'd be compromising your dream but what exactly is your dream? If it's just the name of a place and a beautiful harbour then maybe you need to think what you're really looking for. Many people find one state is where they belong and others just wouldn't suit whether that be for the climate, the economy, the population, the politics or the insects.

If you can work out what your application has all been about it may help you decide whether it's Australia or just Sydney that isn't for you.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 9:46 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

We have friends that live in Adelaide (where we are heading to) and she is a Primary School Teacher, and she is constantly trying to be poached from other schools as there is such a shortage of them in Adelaide!! She loves where she is and doesnt want to move, works part time but has now increased her days working from 2 to 4 so she can work at two schools!! She felt it would benefit her in the long run!!
Old Nov 5th 2006, 10:24 am
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: went on validation trip and now having second thoughts

lisa x
Hi Lisa, I understand how disappointed you are, but as for compromising your dream please don't let that hold you back. We went on a reccie to Brisbane and Perth, Perth being our dream - once we got there we really didnt like Perth and we are so glad we chose to see both cities as we love Brisbane and will be heading out there June/July next year, house sale pending! Good luck in your future decision anyway.
Clairex
Old Feb 8th 2007, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

JIMJAM is an unknown quantity at this point

lisa x
just been reading about your dilemma, which has raise dsome doubts in my mind too. like you, i'm a primary school teacher (male) and hoping to be in sydney by sep this year.

taking my wife and young daughter (3) and was confident finding work would be realistic. was there really such a scarcity of work when you went out there? have you found out any more about work - public, private or catholic? what was your decision?

Any info you could give would be helpful and appreciated. not planning on doing a reccie, so some first-hand info would be the next best thing!

jamie