Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

welsh brickie needs advice on work situation.

welsh brickie needs advice on work situation.

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

shazlee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default welsh brickie needs advice on work situation.

hi, just wondering what the work situation is like in area from nrth sydney to newcastle. any help please. thanks,
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 6:55 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: welsh brickie needs advice on work situation.

Originally Posted by shazlee
hi, just wondering what the work situation is like in area from nrth sydney to newcastle. any help please. thanks,
try seek.co.au mate

but i dont think you`ll get much joy as the majority of domestic property is iether timber or timber framed and commercial stuffs all concrete the calling fror brickies is limited

sorry i suggest that you do a search on here as this has come up several times

regards steve
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:10 pm
formerly Poppy

Poppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to all

Hi, My other half is a bricklayer and there is quite a lot of work in that direction. We are South East Sydney and most of the work seems to be West, North West of the CBD, ie Paramatta, Windsor, Mona Vale etc. I don't know if they do it online, but the Sydney Morning Herald on a Wednesday and Saturday have jobs in. They are listed under Outdoor and trades I think rather than construction.

You'll need to get a Green Card I think its called or maybe its called a white card but that is around $120 and it takes 4 hours. They won't let you on site without it, its like a health and safety thing, but again there are lots of people that do them, just look in the paper when you're here. Also, some jobs do ask that you have a vehicle, probably because some of the jobs aren't that easy to get to with public transport, but not all of them.

Good luck anyway.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shazlee
Hi

I got the Newcastle Herald yesterday and there was an ad for a Bricklayer and 2 adverts for Bricklayers mates!

The health and safety card is a green card (OHC I think it is called). The courses are advertised in the paper, my O/H employer sent him for his and paid for it.

Nikki
Old Jan 25th 2007, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nikki
Hi

I got the Newcastle Herald yesterday and there was an ad for a Bricklayer and 2 adverts for Bricklayers mates!

The health and safety card is a green card (OHC I think it is called). The courses are advertised in the paper, my O/H employer sent him for his and paid for it.

Nikki
thanks nikki for looking you are really kind. we have been chatting and decided to wait and see for ourselves. you are right other peoples opinions might not be to our taste and we will have to live wherever the work is, we have been looking at web sites for certain areas and making our own minds up. its a case of wait and see for ourselves really isnt it. many thanks for your advice, xxx
Old Jan 25th 2007, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Poppy 2
Hi, My other half is a bricklayer and there is quite a lot of work in that direction. We are South East Sydney and most of the work seems to be West, North West of the CBD, ie Paramatta, Windsor, Mona Vale etc. I don't know if they do it online, but the Sydney Morning Herald on a Wednesday and Saturday have jobs in. They are listed under Outdoor and trades I think rather than construction.

You'll need to get a Green Card I think its called or maybe its called a white card but that is around $120 and it takes 4 hours. They won't let you on site without it, its like a health and safety thing, but again there are lots of people that do them, just look in the paper when you're here. Also, some jobs do ask that you have a vehicle, probably because some of the jobs aren't that easy to get to with public transport, but not all of them.

Good luck anyway.
thanks poppy2, nice to hear some positive news from both you and nikki, we were beginning to panic, well i was, we are coming to australia for a better way of life and to be near my family, we dont really want to be out of work and worrying.