Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wellington Point Primary School

Wellington Point Primary School

Old Jun 29th 2007, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

martynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nice
Default Wellington Point Primary School

Hello,

Hope somebody can help me, we're moving to Wellinton Point at the turn of the year and have two little girls, ages 5 and 6.

Does anyone know what Wellington Point Primary School is like ? Thinking about Ormiston College too, but that will take some time I think.

Any views ? I've read previous threads but anything more current wold really help.

.....and.......Wellinton Point is the business !
Old Jun 29th 2007, 6:54 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Wellington Point Primary School

I have no idea, but I'm waiting for an answer as well. My daughter is 3 and a half so I'm curious to know what the schools are like around here.

You mentioned Ormiston College....do they have a waiting list? The way you mentioned it makes me think they do.

I'm just curious why you've choosen to move to Wellington Point. We've rented a house here (Wellington Point) until the end of September so we will need to buy a house soon. We just have no idea which suburb to buy in at the moment.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 8:41 am
In Aus and loving it!

VikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry to jump into your thread but you may be able to answer a couple of my own questions too!

We are moving to Oz in about 6 weeks and had decided on Mountain Creek on Sunshine Coast but, due to a fab job offer, are having to settle closer to Brisbane so are currently looking at Wellington Point/Birkdale and Cleveland.

What are the good/bad points of the area and are there any areas which are a definite no no from your experience? Any info on the schools as OP asked would be very welcome too. We have a 16 year old who would be going into Year 11 and 6yr old and 2 yr old so obviously will need High school and Primary school.

We have had a look at Wellington Point High and also Cleveland High and Primary and they all look pretty good!
Old Jun 29th 2007, 12:29 pm
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice

Originally Posted by VikkiL
Sorry to jump into your thread but you may be able to answer a couple of my own questions too!

We are moving to Oz in about 6 weeks and had decided on Mountain Creek on Sunshine Coast but, due to a fab job offer, are having to settle closer to Brisbane so are currently looking at Wellington Point/Birkdale and Cleveland.

What are the good/bad points of the area and are there any areas which are a definite no no from your experience? Any info on the schools as OP asked would be very welcome too. We have a 16 year old who would be going into Year 11 and 6yr old and 2 yr old so obviously will need High school and Primary school.

We have had a look at Wellington Point High and also Cleveland High and Primary and they all look pretty good!
Hi

Cleveland high school scores quite well in the area as a state High School and of course Ormiston is very good as a private option. We're moving to Redland Bay a bit futher down the coast and so our youngest will go to the primary school there. I'm hoping that our 14 yr old will get into Cleveland. All the area's are nice around there, we have family in Redland hense the decision to go there. We visited last year and though it was a really nice area, half way between the Gold Coast and what it has to offer and not to far from Brisbane. Cleveland have a direct train link to Brisbane so trips to the Brisbane and the South Bank are easy enough. Its a little slow though, kind of 'Clikity Clank' and stops everywhere but nice enough trip. Cleveland is busier and Wellington goes out into the Bay so more sea views. There is a thriving expats community to help get you settled if that's what you would like to do and they are really friendly, inviting you along to social events etc... There are no beaches there as such but the ferry goes over to Strady Island and the beaches there are great.

Good luck and maybe we'll meet up some time.

Byeee
Old Jun 29th 2007, 12:31 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Well, we've only been here for a month so I haven't really checked out a whole lot yet. The first couple weeks was spent shopping for furniture and getting details sorted out. Plus I have to bring my 3.5 year old and 10 month old with me so I don't spend too much time exploring.

A lot of people that I've talked to in town think this area is very nice. I happen to really like it. It's very pretty. There are two parks out on points along the ocean, one in Wellington and one in Cleveland. It's a nice place to go on the weekend. There's a lot of trees and nice new houses in Wellington Point and Cleveland. Birkdale seems to be a slightly older suburb, but there's nothing wrong with the houses and you'd probably get more for your money there.

There's a decent size shopping center in Capalaba, and there are grocery stores in Cleveland and one in Birkdale I think. I haven't found any no no area yet, although I haven't been too far away from here and never in the evening.

My husband works in the cbd so he takes the train from Wellington Point, it takes about 45 minutes on the train. Just thought I'd mention it in case you needed a commute time.

Other than that I don't know what else to add. The schools seem ok to me as well although I haven't checked them out in person or heard anything about them. So I'm hoping for an answer on that too.

VikkiL.... are you planning on working when you arrive? I haven't checked out daycares or preschools yet because I'll be staying at home for a while longer yet. But I'll be looking into preschools very soon for my daughter.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 12:49 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Just thought I'd post our webpage address. I have pictures of the Wellington Point park and the Cleveland Point park (I think that's what they're called). I also have pictures of a park between Wellington Point and Ormiston.

http://haleyculver.spaces.live.com/?lc=4105
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:05 pm
In Aus and loving it!

VikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by comet555
Well, we've only been here for a month so I haven't really checked out a whole lot yet. The first couple weeks was spent shopping for furniture and getting details sorted out. Plus I have to bring my 3.5 year old and 10 month old with me so I don't spend too much time exploring.

A lot of people that I've talked to in town think this area is very nice. I happen to really like it. It's very pretty. There are two parks out on points along the ocean, one in Wellington and one in Cleveland. It's a nice place to go on the weekend. There's a lot of trees and nice new houses in Wellington Point and Cleveland. Birkdale seems to be a slightly older suburb, but there's nothing wrong with the houses and you'd probably get more for your money there.

There's a decent size shopping center in Capalaba, and there are grocery stores in Cleveland and one in Birkdale I think. I haven't found any no no area yet, although I haven't been too far away from here and never in the evening.

My husband works in the cbd so he takes the train from Wellington Point, it takes about 45 minutes on the train. Just thought I'd mention it in case you needed a commute time.

Other than that I don't know what else to add. The schools seem ok to me as well although I haven't checked them out in person or heard anything about them. So I'm hoping for an answer on that too.

VikkiL.... are you planning on working when you arrive? I haven't checked out daycares or preschools yet because I'll be staying at home for a while longer yet. But I'll be looking into preschools very soon for my daughter.
Thanks for the info - it is so useful having you lot over there to help out!

I wont be working until my youngest son (who will be 3 in Dec) goes to school so I will have to check out the facilities for pre-schoolers. I take him to a toddler group over here twice a week, which he really enjoys and if I can find something similar there then that will help me to meet people aswell. Do you get a chance to go to the water at all? I know the beaches arent the best ones around that area but is there a beach called Thompson's or something similar which I am told is family friendly?It would be nice to have somewhere nearby even if it is only a small area.

Are there plenty of parks for your 3yr old? On the maps, there seem to be lots but I know in reality it can be very different.

It sounds as if you are settling in ok though, I cant wait to come! 6 weeks to go!!
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

martynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nice

Just thought I'd post our webpage address. I have pictures of the Wellington Point park and the Cleveland Point park (I think that's what they're called). I also have pictures of a park between Wellington Point and Ormiston.

Hi everyone,

all good stuff. Thanks,

I too was very impressed with Wellington Point, and my wife fellin love with the place as we come from a seaside community in the UK.

Yes, Ormistion does have a waiting list from preschool age to year 6, but they have a large intake at year 6, start of high school.

best of luck to you all, Martyn
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by smoggieswilltravel
Hi

Cleveland high school scores quite well in the area as a state High School and of course Ormiston is very good as a private option. We're moving to Redland Bay a bit futher down the coast and so our youngest will go to the primary school there. I'm hoping that our 14 yr old will get into Cleveland. All the area's are nice around there, we have family in Redland hense the decision to go there. We visited last year and though it was a really nice area, half way between the Gold Coast and what it has to offer and not to far from Brisbane. Cleveland have a direct train link to Brisbane so trips to the Brisbane and the South Bank are easy enough. Its a little slow though, kind of 'Clikity Clank' and stops everywhere but nice enough trip. Cleveland is busier and Wellington goes out into the Bay so more sea views. There is a thriving expats community to help get you settled if that's what you would like to do and they are really friendly, inviting you along to social events etc... There are no beaches there as such but the ferry goes over to Strady Island and the beaches there are great.

Good luck and maybe we'll meet up some time.

Byeee
hi, also a quick question on your point " Cleveland high school scores quite well"....is there a link that you could send me to any scoring details on primary/high schools ?

Hope you understand my garbled request, just trying to assure myself on Well Point Primary School
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:17 pm
In Aus and loving it!

Thanks for the link - great pictures! My 2 year old loved looking at the birds and the slides etc
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:31 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by VikkiL
Thanks for the link - great pictures! My 2 year old loved looking at the birds and the slides etc
I believe they are upgrading the swimming complex in Cleveland and it will now have an outdoor splash park for the kids. I think it will be open in the summer so I'm looking forward to taking my daughter there. You can see the plans for it here:
http://www.redland.qld.gov.au/Corp/P...eland+pool.htm

So far I know of two good playgrounds with lots of playground equipment. the one in Wellington Point on the water, and the one close to Ormiston College (it's on the corner of Duncan Street). There's also a playground at Cleveland Point but I prefer the Wellington Point park. I haven't checked out any others.

You can download a park guide here:
http://www.redland.qld.gov.au/Corp/R...e+and+culture/

Hope that helps.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by martynm
Hello,

Hope somebody can help me, we're moving to Wellinton Point at the turn of the year and have two little girls, ages 5 and 6.

Does anyone know what Wellington Point Primary School is like ? Thinking about Ormiston College too, but that will take some time I think.

Any views ? I've read previous threads but anything more current wold really help.

.....and.......Wellinton Point is the business !
Hi Martyn,

I am very lazy and have not read all of the other replies to see if your questions have been answered so just ignore this if they have.

My children go to OC (Elliott is 6 in grade 1) and have found it an exceptional school - the standard of care has been faultless and the most important thing is that he enjoys going! There are loads of activities both caricular and co-caricular with basketball camp this week during the holidays. Loads for the kids to get involved in and we have found some great friends there.
Another school in the area well worth considering would be Mary Mcillop Catholic Primary, it's on the Birkdale Wello Point border and has a very good reputation. I have done a couple of lectures there myself on photography and the children seem really happy and interested!
hope this helps

Mark

Forgot to mention - both schools have waiting lists so act quickly!
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:53 pm
Canuck/Aussie

What are the fees like for Ormiston College (per school year)? Also, how long are the waiting lists?

My daughter is 3.5 years old right now. If I wanted her to start Kingergarden there would it be too late? Just curious if it's like a few months wait or more like years.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

What are the fees like for Ormiston College (per school year)? Also, how long are the waiting lists?

My daughter is 3.5 years old right now. If I wanted her to start Kingergarden there would it be too late? Just curious if it's like a few months wait or more like years.
the fees are about $6000 per year - the Kindergaten has only just opened so I think your chances would be pretty good - ask for Kerry Field, she should be able to help you
Old Jun 29th 2007, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by doub
Hi Martyn,

I am very lazy and have not read all of the other replies to see if your questions have been answered so just ignore this if they have.

My children go to OC (Elliott is 6 in grade 1) and have found it an exceptional school - the standard of care has been faultless and the most important thing is that he enjoys going! There are loads of activities both caricular and co-caricular with basketball camp this week during the holidays. Loads for the kids to get involved in and we have found some great friends there.
Another school in the area well worth considering would be Mary Mcillop Catholic Primary, it's on the Birkdale Wello Point border and has a very good reputation. I have done a couple of lectures there myself on photography and the children seem really happy and interested!
hope this helps

Mark

Forgot to mention - both schools have waiting lists so act quickly!
Thanks for all your help.

Great to hear other testimonials on OC, I am putting the girls on the waiting list as we speak.

cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.