Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Well our container arrived...

Well our container arrived...

Old Oct 19th 2006, 1:20 pm
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
DebraH's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 4,260
DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Well our container arrived...

on Tuesday, thank goodness. It seems so long ago that we said goodbye to the contents of our house and now our rental in WA is starting to feel a little like home. We used John Masons and have to say that the service was very good - our container arrived in Fremantle about 4 weeks after leaving the UK which was pretty good going. At this end it was being looked after by Wridgeways in Perth.

I phoned them with our new contact details and was told that it should take 10-14 days for the container to go through customs - we never heard anything from them for days (Wridgeways), eventually OH phoned them and they swore blind that we hadn't given them any contact info. Yeah right, anyway problem sorted, another form filled out and as I said earlier container turned up on Tuesday, minus a lof of our stuff. The guys were great, said that they'd get everything off the lorry (we knew the bikes were missing), so that they could check what was there and what wasn't. It turned out that 27 items were missing and when I say items that also means boxes with god knows what inside. Customs had highlighted the items that they wanted to check - only they never got put back onto the lorry these included:

3 bikes // cool box // kitchen ware - 2/3 boxes of it // shoes and clothes // parasol // parasol base // xmas decorations // and other items.

Wridgeways phoned up the office to find out about our goods and was told that they were being loaded and would be with us later that day - which they were and the really strange thing is that none of them had been opened by customs at all - not a single one - I was glad as you would't believe the things that I found in the boxes - even a packet of poppy seeds for cying out loud - how the hell did they get in there.

This was another thing - the things that we found in our boxes this end, I really thought we'd gone through the rooms with a fine toothed comb, but the packers even packed a bloody bin with rubbish in it WTF. BIG TIP just be careful what you tell them to pack and what you don't or keep an eye on them. They were good though.

Oh and not a single thing was broken
DebraH is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2006, 1:28 pm
  #2  
pink 'n' bouncy
 
stuckinblighty's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Zombie nation
Posts: 6,087
stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well our container arrived...

Good news,take it easy and have fun


Lee
stuckinblighty is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2006, 1:28 pm
  #3  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,158
iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Well our container arrived...

What a tale! ... We bought conkers with us, and sea shells.... (fauna and flora apparently)

Maybe they just xrayed your stuff?

Glad it all turned out ok in the end... It's fun unpacking it all and very soon, your nice clean rental looks like a bombsite...

x
iPom is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2006, 1:39 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
DebraH's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 4,260
DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well our container arrived...

Originally Posted by iPom
What a tale! ... We bought conkers with us, and sea shells.... (fauna and flora apparently)

Maybe they just xrayed your stuff?

Glad it all turned out ok in the end... It's fun unpacking it all and very soon, your nice clean rental looks like a bombsite...

x
tell me about it, the boys rooms are a mess already - and our youngest thinks it's christmas already

not sure if they even checked it the delivery guys reckon they put it to one side and just forgot about it
DebraH is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2006, 2:43 pm
  #5  
Juicer Member
 
Glenat's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Kwinana
Posts: 193
Glenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Well our container arrived...

Originally Posted by DebraH
on Tuesday, thank goodness. It seems so long ago that we said goodbye to the contents of our house and now our rental in WA is starting to feel a little like home. We used John Masons and have to say that the service was very good - our container arrived in Fremantle about 4 weeks after leaving the UK which was pretty good going. At this end it was being looked after by Wridgeways in Perth.

I phoned them with our new contact details and was told that it should take 10-14 days for the container to go through customs - we never heard anything from them for days (Wridgeways), eventually OH phoned them and they swore blind that we hadn't given them any contact info. Yeah right, anyway problem sorted, another form filled out and as I said earlier container turned up on Tuesday, minus a lof of our stuff. The guys were great, said that they'd get everything off the lorry (we knew the bikes were missing), so that they could check what was there and what wasn't. It turned out that 27 items were missing and when I say items that also means boxes with god knows what inside. Customs had highlighted the items that they wanted to check - only they never got put back onto the lorry these included:

3 bikes // cool box // kitchen ware - 2/3 boxes of it // shoes and clothes // parasol // parasol base // xmas decorations // and other items.

Wridgeways phoned up the office to find out about our goods and was told that they were being loaded and would be with us later that day - which they were and the really strange thing is that none of them had been opened by customs at all - not a single one - I was glad as you would't believe the things that I found in the boxes - even a packet of poppy seeds for cying out loud - how the hell did they get in there.

This was another thing - the things that we found in our boxes this end, I really thought we'd gone through the rooms with a fine toothed comb, but the packers even packed a bloody bin with rubbish in it WTF. BIG TIP just be careful what you tell them to pack and what you don't or keep an eye on them. They were good though.

Oh and not a single thing was broken
Good post. We had a quote off them today, which seems quite reasonable. I think we may end up going with them. Nice to hear that all your stuff arrived safely.
Glenat is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2006, 3:06 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 96
pasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to all
Default Re: Well our container arrived...

Hi

We went with John Mason and are pretty pleased on the whole. The only things that were broken was the zip on my sofa (they can fix!) and we had a handmade wardrobe which wasn't designed to be taken apart which they split in half and the cheap Ikea wardrobe we had they left whole!!??? When I saw they had taken apart a wardrobe on the itinery I assumed it was the Ikea one. Not that we really need wardrobes here, every house I have seen so far have built in robes.

Oh well, will get on to them tomorrow.....
pasty legs is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:00 pm
  #7  
Newbie!
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 183
Spikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to all
Default Re: Well our container arrived...

Oooh interesting - think we're going to go with John Mason, my H was talking to them yesterday.

at the bin!
Spikey is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2006, 8:49 pm
  #8  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,997
phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Well our container arrived...

Originally Posted by DebraH
on Tuesday, thank goodness. It seems so long ago that we said goodbye to the contents of our house and now our rental in WA is starting to feel a little like home. We used John Masons and have to say that the service was very good - our container arrived in Fremantle about 4 weeks after leaving the UK which was pretty good going. At this end it was being looked after by Wridgeways in Perth.

I phoned them with our new contact details and was told that it should take 10-14 days for the container to go through customs - we never heard anything from them for days (Wridgeways), eventually OH phoned them and they swore blind that we hadn't given them any contact info. Yeah right, anyway problem sorted, another form filled out and as I said earlier container turned up on Tuesday, minus a lof of our stuff. The guys were great, said that they'd get everything off the lorry (we knew the bikes were missing), so that they could check what was there and what wasn't. It turned out that 27 items were missing and when I say items that also means boxes with god knows what inside. Customs had highlighted the items that they wanted to check - only they never got put back onto the lorry these included:

3 bikes // cool box // kitchen ware - 2/3 boxes of it // shoes and clothes // parasol // parasol base // xmas decorations // and other items.

Wridgeways phoned up the office to find out about our goods and was told that they were being loaded and would be with us later that day - which they were and the really strange thing is that none of them had been opened by customs at all - not a single one - I was glad as you would't believe the things that I found in the boxes - even a packet of poppy seeds for cying out loud - how the hell did they get in there.

This was another thing - the things that we found in our boxes this end, I really thought we'd gone through the rooms with a fine toothed comb, but the packers even packed a bloody bin with rubbish in it WTF. BIG TIP just be careful what you tell them to pack and what you don't or keep an eye on them. They were good though.

Oh and not a single thing was broken
We had lots of things stolen from Ridgeways. Same scenario i.e "customs want to look at them" and "customs need to treat these at a cost of X" etc, etc. then when we kicked up a stink they miraculously turned up unopened and untreated ...and some stuff stolen. Two years ago so water under the bridge.
phoenixinoz is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2006, 11:24 pm
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
DebraH's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 4,260
DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well our container arrived...

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
We had lots of things stolen from Ridgeways. Same scenario i.e "customs want to look at them" and "customs need to treat these at a cost of X" etc, etc. then when we kicked up a stink they miraculously turned up unopened and untreated ...and some stuff stolen. Two years ago so water under the bridge.
ahhh
funnily enough one of the guys said that they've seen this a few times, but not with the amount that we had left behind.
DebraH is offline  
Old Oct 20th 2006, 4:28 pm
  #10  
Former Resident Visa
 
Jaycee1's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Mornington Peninsula
Posts: 2,887
Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well our container arrived...

Originally Posted by DebraH
ahhh
funnily enough one of the guys said that they've seen this a few times, but not with the amount that we had left behind.
Glad to see all your worthy goods arrived safe and sound.(Eventually)
J x
Jaycee1 is offline  
Old Oct 20th 2006, 5:08 pm
  #11  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,997
phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Well our container arrived...

Originally Posted by DebraH
ahhh
funnily enough one of the guys said that they've seen this a few times, but not with the amount that we had left behind.
In our case we we too exhausted to claim back on insurance too. What annoyed me most was some things that were stolen were my sons e.g PS2 and games plus other stuff. Even his new designer glasses!!

Ah well....we live and learn huh
phoenixinoz is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 12:25 pm
  #12  
Newlywed
 
Dorothy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 28,933
Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well our container arrived...

Our container arrived in port last Friday and they delivered to our house this past Wednesday. Not a single thing missing, broken or scratched. Well at least not until the guys were unpacking it all. One of them gouged the top of one of my night stands with his razor knife when he was opening the box, but he immediately apologised about 10 times. Admits it was completely his fault and he should have been more careful. Seeing how nothing else was wrong with the whole shipment I won't even bother to claim it on insurance. We'll just go get some fine sandpaper and see if I can't sand out as much as possible and re-stain that area.
Sure feels good to have your own things though. Wednesday night was the best sleep I've had in months. Sleeping in my own bed in my own sheets. Nothing better.
Dorothy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.