Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Well it's been six months now! ....

Well it's been six months now! ....

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 8:00 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future
Default Well it's been six months now! ....

since we arrived! ...

So I guess a 'six months in' post is in order.

I won't go on too much about my 'mission' as that's simple, to obtain PR in Australia. Briefly myself or Nic didn't have any skills that would get us into Aus so we're here now on a student visa and I'm doing hairdressing because we could do with MODL points really, plus it's our best chance of success!

Ok, well what can I say about Australia! ... well the Gold Coast really as we've not ventured outside of it as we speak.

WE ALL LOVE IT!

I'm doing my course 3 days a week and altho it has it's ups and downs, overall I guess I enjoy it. Nic is working at Wet & Wild, one of the many theme parks on the Gold Coast and thoroughly enjoys that, the kids are both doing well at school and STILL enjoy going to school! ... They're both teenagers and altho went to a very good school in South Hertfordshire, they HATED it there as it was VERY strict! Here the school is far more laid back and as I say they actually enjoy going, and we'll not complain!

Some random good points:

Weather! - cannot fault it and considering it was the biggest reasons we've come here, well it's just been lovely! Winter was a doddle and altho we've obviously not acclimatised, we ARE very familiar with UK Winters and Gold Coast Winters REALLY aint a patch!

People - again cannot fault really. Aussies DO have so much time for you and seem to be genuinely interested in where your from, why your here etc etc. A 5 min visit down the road to the shops can easily take an hour taking into account the 'chat' time spent in there ...lol. At my school I come across loads of expats from all over the UK inc '10 pound poms' and they all love it here! ... NEVER hear from one person how they hate it and want to go back!

Kids social lives - Our son was always very active in the UK and is popular with mates so he hasn't changed much over here. He's become a little 'Emo' tho and growing his hair, but this is all the rage over here. Our Daughter altho had many friends, most of them didn't live locally because their school was sooo in demand that most would travel to go there so would spend a lot of her time indoors on MSN and stuff. Here tho a totally diff ball game and is out and about a lot. At weekends there is ALWAYS a party or a 'meet up' goin. To be honest with both of them actually, they're either staying over, or having friends stay over EVERY weekend!

Driving - Well altho driving in Queensland REALLY is an experience, and I was a professional driver in London for over 20 years (Courier and cabbie) so I guess I'm qualified to talk, but altho it has MANY sides that I'll just never fathom (how some people tackle roundabouts ...lol) I actually prefer driving over here. Ok, don't head out the door in a rush as you'll never get anywhere in a hurry. Everyone will do 110kph in all four lanes of the motorway. 'Keep left unless overtaking' really doesn't exist over here! ...lol, but as I say, don't go out in a rush and you'll be ok. I like to just plod down the motorway ... that's what I like!

Dog Beach - We bought our dog with us (5 year old Staffy) and there is a 'Dog Beach' 25 mins from where we live. How cool is that? We go there every now and then and altho it'll have people on it that are without dogs, on certain days (weekends) it can be full with people walking their dogs! We love to go there and walk a mile or two and just paddle in the sea and mutters can run around and do his thing! ... love it!

Price of fuel - Under a dollar a litre in some garages on the Gold Coast now, what can I say! ...lol. I don't know what it cost in the UK now but I was paying over a £1 a litre when we left I'm sure!

Oh you know I could go on and on with 'good points' about living here but lets just say me and Nic will often say to each other "can it get any better?" We live on a nice estate here and to be honest pay top money to rent a lovely house with pool etc but at the end of the day we don't have any guarantee's we're staying so if we have to leave in May 2008 when visa runs out, then at least we'll of had a wonderful time here! ...

Random Bad Points:

Price of banana's!

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 8:04 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well it's been six months now! ....

lol - nice post guys - your dedication deserves PR if nothing else
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
since we arrived! ...

I won't go on too much about my 'mission' as that's simple, to obtain PR in Australia. Briefly myself or Nic didn't have any skills that would get us into Aus so we're here now on a student visa and I'm doing hairdressing because we could do with MODL points really, plus it's our best chance of success!

Ok, well what can I say about Australia! ... well the Gold Coast really as we've not ventured outside of it as we speak.

WE ALL LOVE IT!

I'm doing my course 3 days a week and altho it has it's ups and downs, overall I guess I enjoy it. Nic is working at Wet & Wild, one of the many theme parks on the Gold Coast and thoroughly enjoys that, the kids are both doing well at school and STILL enjoy going to school! ... They're both teenagers and altho went to a very good school in South Hertfordshire, they HATED it there as it was VERY strict! Here the school is far more laid back and as I say they actually enjoy going, and we'll not complain!

Some random good points:

Weather! - cannot fault it and considering it was the biggest reasons we've come here, well it's just been lovely! Winter was a doddle and altho we've obviously not acclimatised, we ARE very familiar with UK Winters and Gold Coast Winters REALLY aint a patch!

People - again cannot fault really. Aussies DO have so much time for you and seem to be genuinely interested in where your from, why your here etc etc. A 5 min visit down the road to the shops can easily take an hour taking into account the 'chat' time spent in there ...lol. At my school I come across loads of expats from all over the UK inc '10 pound poms' and they all love it here! ... NEVER hear from one person how they hate it and want to go back!

Kids social lives - Our son was always very active in the UK and is popular with mates so he hasn't changed much over here. He's become a little 'Emo' tho and growing his hair, but this is all the rage over here. Our Daughter altho had many friends, most of them didn't live locally because their school was sooo in demand that most would travel to go there so would spend a lot of her time indoors on MSN and stuff. Here tho a totally diff ball game and is out and about a lot. At weekends there is ALWAYS a party or a 'meet up' goin. To be honest with both of them actually, they're either staying over, or having friends stay over EVERY weekend!

Driving - Well altho driving in Queensland REALLY is an experience, and I was a professional driver in London for over 20 years (Courier and cabbie) so I guess I'm qualified to talk, but altho it has MANY sides that I'll just never fathom (how some people tackle roundabouts ...lol) I actually prefer driving over here. Ok, don't head out the door in a rush as you'll never get anywhere in a hurry. Everyone will do 110kph in all four lanes of the motorway. 'Keep left unless overtaking' really doesn't exist over here! ...lol, but as I say, don't go out in a rush and you'll be ok. I like to just plod down the motorway ... that's what I like!

Dog Beach - We bought our dog with us (5 year old Staffy) and there is a 'Dog Beach' 25 mins from where we live. How cool is that? We go there every now and then and altho it'll have people on it that are without dogs, on certain days (weekends) it can be full with people walking their dogs! We love to go there and walk a mile or two and just paddle in the sea and mutters can run around and do his thing! ... love it!

Price of fuel - Under a dollar a litre in some garages on the Gold Coast now, what can I say! ...lol. I don't know what it cost in the UK now but I was paying over a £1 a litre when we left I'm sure!

Oh you know I could go on and on with 'good points' about living here but lets just say me and Nic will often say to each other "can it get any better?" We live on a nice estate here and to be honest pay top money to rent a lovely house with pool etc but at the end of the day we don't have any guarantee's we're staying so if we have to leave in May 2008 when visa runs out, then at least we'll of had a wonderful time here! ...

Random Bad Points:

Price of banana's!

What a great post Paul ! Glad you are all enjoying your new lives, I really admired the way you made your dream to live in Oz happen, it takes a lot of guts ! glad its paying off !!

All the best

Nicky
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 8:10 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Really glad it's all working out for ya

No k as I need to spread but as soon as I can I will

xxx
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 8:20 am
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold

Excellent post, so glad it's working out for you and your family. Will be in Brissie and GC fro reccie in 2 weeks and can't wait.
Clairex
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

What a brilliant post. It sounds like you are having a wonderful time over there.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 8:57 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Paul,

glad it's all going well. You sooo deserve to get PR when you've finished the course. Will keep my fingers crossed for you

Gina
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

christinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond repute

So nice to read a positive post. Hope all goes well for you both. It sounds like u truly deserve it
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of

Hi Paul

Glad all is going well, best of luck with it all

Mick
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

teejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi mate,
SIX months already wow, seems like only yesterday we were chatting at one of Janes meets.
I'm pleased it's all going well for you guys, hopefully we'll be out there real soon as things are slowly moving forward.
Just make sure you have a few tinnies in the fridge mate

cheers

Phil
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Lovely update and loved the Dog Beach, we have 3 Staffords so great to hear.

Any idea if Oz has a PAT Dog scheme, one of my Staffords is a PAT Dog visiting hospitals, hospices etc

Wendy
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 11:53 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Great post

..and so glad you are enjoying life so much
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Thanks everyone, I hope one day to be doing a 'we got it!' post but we'll see on that one!

Originally Posted by marvinc
Any idea if Oz has a PAT Dog scheme, one of my Staffords is a PAT Dog visiting hospitals, hospices etc

Wendy
Sorry Wendy, I don't have a clue to be honest.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Glad to see that you are really settled.

It's amazing how time fliess, only seems like yesterday that we were at the meets in the UK.

Look forward to your 12 months and your Got It post.

Graham & Sara
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 10:53 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
since we arrived! ...

WE ALL LOVE IT!

Some random good points:

Random Bad Points:

Price of banana's!

bloody hell mate you've not had time to hang! what a brilliant post thanks Paul. Hope that PR comes soon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.