Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

well it's about time!!!!

well it's about time!!!!

Old Feb 7th 2006, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute
Default well it's about time!!!!

yeah i know....... i've been non existant for almost a month now.... but i'm back!!!

so............. we left sunny (it actually was!) edinburgh on 17th January... i was sick as a dog with the flu, and as the flight went on i got progressivly worse!

business class was just great, and the lounges were excellent. I have to say that if i'd been that sick in cattle i don't think i would have recovered quite so quickly after arriving here. in saying that it took me about 2 weeks to properly get over it!

so i've now started school!!! had a last minute change of heart before leaving UK and decided to put on uni entry for a year and do a prep year. So i'm now at Southbank TAFE and loving it! the staff have been so supportive over the last week, especially since i didn't have a house to live in. have got a whole heap of homework already and we're only in week 2!!!!! naturally this is why i'm procrastinating on here!!

what a saga that was............. i have come to the conclusion that (well certainly for me) it's easier to get into this country (came in on a slightly dodgy visa!! - got asked NO questions just passport stamped and "enjoy your stay") that it is to actually get a rental house.

we must have looked at about 30 houses and putin applications for almost 1/2 of them. it got to the stage that we started putting in applications for houses that weren't that great (remember we're on a student budget!!) just because no-one else would be going for them.... and we still got refused for some of them. i honestly thought about going home!!!!!

finally last wendesday we got approved for a lovely house in the gabba and we moved in over the weekend. landlady is haing a new fence put in for the dogs and having internet installed for us at her expense!

the dogs made it over safely.... i will admit that when i dropped them off at edinburgh I cried.... i'll be a complete wreak when i pick them up next saturday!!!

so i've spent the last 3 days building ikea furniture (thank god for ikea!) and finally the house is looking like something you could live in. once i get the money from the house sale in the uk (hopefully this week) i'll be off to get a lovely big sofa and a bbq (the essentials you understand!! ;-) )

and once we've done that it'll be a party at yosemite's!!!!!!!!!!!! (BYO everything - we're skint students remember!)

so i'm off to colllect hire car today we'll have that for a couple of weeks till we pick up our own.

it's been a really harda stressfull 3 weeks.... but by the end of feb i'll have my dogs, my nice house, my bbq, and my feb homework completed..... and by then it'll all have been worth it!!

Old Feb 7th 2006, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: well it's about time!!!!

I'm glad you have got a house sorted. My sister is having a tough time finding somewhere at the moment. The main problem seems to be that agents can't be bothered to show her round the properties and she has to see them in order to rent them.

As soon as you have your gas BBQ you will be properly sorted. I can't wait til we get ours.

Katie
Old Feb 7th 2006, 7:10 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoSemite
yeah i know....... i've been non existant for almost a month now.... but i'm back!!!

so............. we left sunny (it actually was!) edinburgh on 17th January... i was sick as a dog with the flu, and as the flight went on i got progressivly worse!

business class was just great, and the lounges were excellent. I have to say that if i'd been that sick in cattle i don't think i would have recovered quite so quickly after arriving here. in saying that it took me about 2 weeks to properly get over it!

so i've now started school!!! had a last minute change of heart before leaving UK and decided to put on uni entry for a year and do a prep year. So i'm now at Southbank TAFE and loving it! the staff have been so supportive over the last week, especially since i didn't have a house to live in. have got a whole heap of homework already and we're only in week 2!!!!! naturally this is why i'm procrastinating on here!!

what a saga that was............. i have come to the conclusion that (well certainly for me) it's easier to get into this country (came in on a slightly dodgy visa!! - got asked NO questions just passport stamped and "enjoy your stay") that it is to actually get a rental house.

we must have looked at about 30 houses and putin applications for almost 1/2 of them. it got to the stage that we started putting in applications for houses that weren't that great (remember we're on a student budget!!) just because no-one else would be going for them.... and we still got refused for some of them. i honestly thought about going home!!!!!

finally last wendesday we got approved for a lovely house in the gabba and we moved in over the weekend. landlady is haing a new fence put in for the dogs and having internet installed for us at her expense!

the dogs made it over safely.... i will admit that when i dropped them off at edinburgh I cried.... i'll be a complete wreak when i pick them up next saturday!!!

so i've spent the last 3 days building ikea furniture (thank god for ikea!) and finally the house is looking like something you could live in. once i get the money from the house sale in the uk (hopefully this week) i'll be off to get a lovely big sofa and a bbq (the essentials you understand!! ;-) )

and once we've done that it'll be a party at yosemite's!!!!!!!!!!!! (BYO everything - we're skint students remember!)

so i'm off to colllect hire car today we'll have that for a couple of weeks till we pick up our own.

it's been a really harda stressfull 3 weeks.... but by the end of feb i'll have my dogs, my nice house, my bbq, and my feb homework completed..... and by then it'll all have been worth it!!

Was just thinking about you the other day, glad to hear from you. Sounds like you've had a rough time so far. Here's to that BBQ ariving and you getting settled down on that big sofa with your dogs
Old Feb 7th 2006, 7:19 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Really glad it's all working out for you. Do you think the problem getting a rental was down to the fact that you have pets?
Old Feb 7th 2006, 9:45 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Yos,

The first few weeks are the hardest and you've made it so far.

Stick with it as when the familiarity comes along you'll be able to relax a bit.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 6:46 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

[Glad it's all going well and thanks for keeping us posted.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Feb 9th 2006, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Really glad it's all working out for you. Do you think the problem getting a rental was down to the fact that you have pets?

we only got refused once because of the pets.... rest of the time it was because we didn't have australian references. I'm sure part of the problem was also probably because we're (mature!!!) students and landlords envisioned big raging parties!!!

oh god i've got at least another 6 hours of homework on top of what i've already got.... they sure know how to work you over here!

i'm spending the rest of the day here in the library!!!