Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Well, that is the forward Reckie back to the UK completed.

Well, that is the forward Reckie back to the UK completed.

Old Jun 25th 2009, 12:39 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Well, that is the forward Reckie back to the UK completed.

Hi All

I posted a few weeks ago that I was going back to the UK for a forward reckie in the Mttbuk forum. I am posting what I found here so as not to be insensitive to those who have made the decision to return.

As some of you will know I had a terrible first year here in Melbourne and a slightly better second year. I went to the UK with a completely open mind and this is what I found.

Friends missed me but they are doing fine without me.
Family missed me but did not feel compelled to go out of their way to see me.
It was very nice to see my parents.
My grandparents told me to get on with my life and leave them behind.
Those lovely English villages that I had so yearned for seemed dull and inward looking when I visited.
The long winding roads were massively conjested and the driving was no better than Australia.
The houses seemed very small.
People talked about recession all the time but I only really noticed it when shopping. I seemed to be the only person on the high street weighed down by bags.
Supermarkets are cheap and so are clothes. Eating out - quality was not there and it seemed really expensive compared to Australia.
British summertime is a misnomer.
UK TV is like heaven even to a non TV watcher like myself.
UK newspapers want to make a person take quantum amounts of valium.
UK cities seemed to take on the same desperate grey air and become a bit of a homogenous clump.
It was green and gardens were lush.
I forgot about the vomit stains on the pavements.
Cars are so cheap.
Being close to Europe was fantastic, diverse, romantic and expensive!

All in all, I think that I was struck by the change in me and the lack of change in the UK. Having missed somewhere so much, it was a complete surprise to realise that I had moved on.

I have come back to Australia much more settled on where the future will be and for that feel much more in control that ever before. Onwards and upwards dear friends, onwards and upwards.

Good luck to all who are faced with doubt and indecision.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Letspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant future
Default Re: Well, that is the forward Reckie back to the UK completed.

Good post, a reminder that all isnt a bed of roses back home. When you feel like throwing in the towel a trip home if you can afford it is a stark reminder that its no better just different.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

Great post! I'm glad you learned something about yourself. I hope your life in Oz improves with time!

Old Jun 25th 2009, 1:13 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Hi All

I posted a few weeks ago that I was going back to the UK for a forward reckie in the Mttbuk forum. I am posting what I found here so as not to be insensitive to those who have made the decision to return.

As some of you will know I had a terrible first year here in Melbourne and a slightly better second year. I went to the UK with a completely open mind and this is what I found.

Those lovely English villages that I had so yearned for seemed dull and inward looking when I visited.
The long winding roads were massively conjested and the driving was no better than Australia.
People talked about recession all the time but I only really noticed it when shopping. I seemed to be the only person on the high street weighed down by bags.
Supermarkets are cheap and so are clothes. Eating out - quality was not there and it seemed really expensive compared to Australia.
UK cities seemed to take on the same desperate grey air and become a bit of a homogenous clump.
Cars are so cheap.

All in all, I think that I was struck by the change in me and the lack of change in the UK. Having missed somewhere so much, it was a complete surprise to realise that I had moved on.

I have come back to Australia much more settled on where the future will be and for that feel much more in control that ever before. Onwards and upwards dear friends, onwards and upwards.

Mate I couldn't be more pleased for anyone that this is the outcome. Hopefully you get over to Perth soon, dying to share a glass (or bottle) of something with you xxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Jun 25th 2009, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

In my opinion, this is one of the most sobering, rational, succinct and clear posts on the returning Pom.

Top Man!

TD
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:00 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toe Dipper
...Top Man!...
Err...
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:19 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to hear your feedback mate. Seems it's put a few ghosts to rest which can only be a good thing when trying to move forward.

Onwards and upwards by the sounds of it. Great stuff BB.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

nigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nice

this is a great post.............would love to here more of this stuff
Old Jun 25th 2009, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

Cars are so cheap.

Just back from UK myself BB and echo your sentiments. Can't really come up with any major negatives about it but Aus is simply home now.
After all the recent threads about driving being so bad in Aus I was surprised to find that Scotland was far worse with numerous incidents of road rage and poor driving in such a short trip. I was actually scared on the road and I am not a timid driver.
It all felt a bit bleak to be honest and everybody was whinging about all sorts.They have torn Edinburgh apart to build tram lines and it is an absolute nightmare!
Really enjoyed taking in some proper pubs and picked up some great clothes bargains. Great to see friends and family and have my patriotism stirred by seeing the castle etc but it will be a long time before I head back and then only to see family.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi great to hear your trip back has made this it clear & helped you settle more. My trip back after a difficult first year had the same effect on me. Enjoyed seeing family/friends but also enjoyed coming back to Oz.
All the best for what comes next.

Donna
Old Jun 25th 2009, 11:15 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Cars are so cheap.

This is an awesome post, its good to see that you have now found direction.

I think a lot of people forget why they left and pine to return only when they do find out why they left, and it really hits them.

I think this was a very worthwhile exercise for you !
Old Jun 25th 2009, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

scotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nice

Interesting thoughts. Totally agree with your observations on eating out, but it doesn't seem to apply to breakfast for some reason.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 1:58 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Cars are so cheap.

(without reading the other replies)
Hi Busterboy,

I too have been very unsettled in Australia (but also knew that returning was not an option) We have been here for nearly 5 years.
I went back alone at Christmas in rather sad circumstances but really enjoyed my three and a half weeks there (North London/ Hertfordshire)
I also came back feeling so much more settled. It was great to be back and see all things familiar and feel at 'home' regarding humour, culture etc but for my kids Australia is the best place for my circumstances.

The weirdest thing was feeling as if I was going home travelling in both directions!

Best Wishes for the future,

Jan
Old Jun 26th 2009, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad you have found your direction. Hope it continues for you!
Old Jun 26th 2009, 3:30 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you've found some peace of mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.