Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Well....after putting it off for 8 months...

Well....after putting it off for 8 months...

Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:57 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Well....after putting it off for 8 months...

I finally told my parents about the planned move to Aussie.
My mum was as good as gold but my dad just sat there,strumming his guitar,not saying a word.
I was absolutely dreading it but it sort of went ok

It remains to be seen how things will go from now on though.

The best of luck to anyone else out there who have yet to tell their nearest and dearest the big news

Last edited by stuckinblighty; Jan 12th 2007 at 9:00 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well....after putting it off for 8 months...

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
My mum was as good as gold but my dad just sat there,strumming his guitar,not saying a word.

The best of luck to anyone else out there who have yet to tell their nearest and dearest the big news

Well done for telling them! I think that was a good response.
I know from experience what it can be like. My MIL hasn't been polite to us since last Feb when we told them. But I must say things have changed now and she has asked us to stay with them for our last two weeks before we fly out. Can't be that bad :scared:

Lynne
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

sassycat is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose not having any parents is an advantage No one to tell we are going
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:43 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassycat
I suppose not having any parents is an advantage No one to tell we are going
ohhh sorry sas did'nt mean it to sound like that.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

sassycat is an unknown quantity at this point

ohhh sorry sas did'nt mean it to sound like that.

No - dont be daft - its cool
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:59 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Hmmm... you just reminded me we haven't yet told my inlaws we got the visa. We've only had it for about a month and a half. I feel kind of bad, my parents knew the same day. But my husband doesn't want to call and tell them the good/bad news and I'm not going to be the one to tell them (I already was the one to tell them about the application).

So I know what it's like. When we told my family they were a little surprised at first but then excited for us. But the inlaws were not happy. I know they will rarely if ever come for a visit. It's tough to discuss our plans with them because it upsets them. I feel bad about it but why would I want to tell them all our plans when all they do is try to talk us out of it.

I hope your family comes around as it is tough if they don't understand and aren't happy that you're happy.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

hello all
well my wifes mom and dad are ok with the idea and are planing to come over this xmas.
But my mom and dad just dont want to know about the whole thing.They even tell there friends they dont want to talk about it. and thats to them,
They just dont belive what we are doing .it is very hard when they dont talk about it . we got to be in australia by october and my dads birthday 60 is on the 31 october my mom and dad know we have to go by then.so we will mis the party .but my mom keeps saying, it will be a good party as if we are going to be there. WHAT DO YOU DO.ararararaararar
never mind
all the best
Dave
Old Jan 13th 2007, 11:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mad.chef
hello all
well my wifes mom and dad are ok with the idea and are planing to come over this xmas.
But my mom and dad just dont want to know about the whole thing.They even tell there friends they dont want to talk about it. and thats to them,
They just dont belive what we are doing .it is very hard when they dont talk about it . we got to be in australia by october and my dads birthday 60 is on the 31 october my mom and dad know we have to go by then.so we will mis the party .but my mom keeps saying, it will be a good party as if we are going to be there. WHAT DO YOU DO.ararararaararar
never mind
all the best
Dave
Can't you have the party early ? Needs wording carefully obviously but could be a good plan.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 11:24 am
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

My Mum was fine .My MIL took it quite bad.My FIL was great.He'd be over like a shot .(He lived in NZ for a few years in his youth and loves life in this hemisphere.) MIL has a fear of flying and has never been on a plane but now she is desperate to come over to see us and is even seeing a therapist to overcome her phobia .Fair play to her ,she's a lovely lady and I really hope she comes over with FIL and SIL sometime this year..
Old Jan 13th 2007, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Hi there, we had the same problems with my parents (even though they moved to Turkey nearly 2 years ago). My husbands parents said that they would be very upset but were very pleased for us and they can't wait to visit us.
My mum and dad were very negative to start with but now we have the visas and they know we have an offer on our house, they have started asking more questions and talking more openly about it. Even when they visited us at Christmas my dad, who usually does not say much, asked if we were visiting oz first or just selling up and going. He also said I dont blame you there does not seem to be much hear for you and he could not wait to get back to Turkey from the UK himself and this is all from somebody who originally said you will loose everything are you mad.
I reminded them that it was for a better life for us and our son and that if we did not like it would could always go somewhere else.
Good luck to everybody who still has the dreaded deed to do.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 1:29 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by grahampaula
Hi there, we had the same problems with my parents (even though they moved to Turkey nearly 2 years ago). My husbands parents said that they would be very upset but were very pleased for us and they can't wait to visit us.
My mum and dad were very negative to start with but now we have the visas and they know we have an offer on our house, they have started asking more questions and talking more openly about it. Even when they visited us at Christmas my dad, who usually does not say much, asked if we were visiting oz first or just selling up and going. He also said I dont blame you there does not seem to be much hear for you and he could not wait to get back to Turkey from the UK himself and this is all from somebody who originally said you will loose everything are you mad.
I reminded them that it was for a better life for us and our son and that if we did not like it would could always go somewhere else.
Good luck to everybody who still has the dreaded deed to do.
Well done Stuck. Worst bit over with now. Dad's have to do that strong silent type. He'll be ok.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

thepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nice

Hi there,

We told hubbys parents 12 months ago that we were planning to move to oz and they still dont talk about it.....have yet to tell the grand parents.....not looking forward to that. My parents are in oz so they are over the moon to finally get some time to spend with their grandson. We are putting visa in this week and the house on the market as well so hopefully the mil and fil will finally except the fact we are going and its not just a whim we have. It has made it very hard cause we dont talk about it cause it upsets them so you feel you are walking on egg shells.

Hope things get better for everyone soon.

Tracey x
Old Jan 13th 2007, 10:28 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Ever since we told the inlaws my daughter (3 years) has been getting cards that say things like "Life would be unbearable with out you" with a cute picture of a bear. Or they will say things like "we miss you already."

They have always sent cards to her, but lately the messages are more like a guilt trip... it's getting a little annoying.

They talk like they're never going to see the kids again! The funny thing right now is that we live about an 8 hour drive away and they only come visit us about once a year. We are the ones that have to make the effort to see them, and we get down there about 2-3 times a year. It drives me crazy.

Just a vent.... I wish families wouldn't make things harder than they need to be.